Illinois High School Football Thread

7 hours ago, LittleHurt05 said:

In the top 5 classes, 4 of the 5 champions were private and 7 of the 10 finalists were as well.

The talk of recruiting star players to Catholic League schools is kind of silly IMO. Brother Rice is not exactly a football/hoops powerhouse. If we are recruiting, we're not doing the best job (I realize we had a fantastic team this year after last year's 2-7). Yes, we normally are "good" in football but again, we're not winning state all the time. Ditto hoops. We're OK to good most years, but never or very rarely a hoops contender for the state title. I mean, who is doing the recruiting? Brother Rice doesn't have enough cash laying around to have some recruiting coach pursuing top grade school talent. Just my take. Living in Ks. I obviously am no expert, but give me proof of players we've recruited that have made a difference. Maybe the current hoops star who will be going to Loyola. Where's he from? Maybe we recruited him, I dunno.

Peace and go Brother Rice!

p.s. Harry if I come home for a hoops game at some point, do you want to meet me at game? 

Edited by greg775

2 hours ago, greg775 said:

The talk of recruiting star players to Catholic League schools is kind of silly IMO. Brother Rice is not exactly a football/hoops powerhouse. If we are recruiting, we're not doing the best job (I realize we had a fantastic team this year after last year's 2-7). Yes, we normally are "good" in football but again, we're not winning state all the time. Ditto hoops. We're OK to good most years, but never or very rarely a hoops contender for the state title. I mean, who is doing the recruiting? Brother Rice doesn't have enough cash laying around to have some recruiting coach pursuing top grade school talent. Just my take. Living in Ks. I obviously am no expert, but give me proof of players we've recruited that have made a difference. Maybe the current hoops star who will be going to Loyola. Where's he from? Maybe we recruited him, I dunno.

p.s. Harry if I come home for a hoops game at some point, do you want to meet me at game? 

Just research St. Thomas Aquinas in your own backyard for your answer.....

1 hour ago, champagne030 said:

Just research St. Thomas Aquinas in your own backyard for your answer.....

I think that was Aquinas' first state football title. In fact it was the school's first state football title. I think this recruiting thing is exaggerated. 

19 hours ago, greg775 said:

It is not the same place as it was even 10 years ago.  They are recruiting for academic and athletic kids.  They are not getting free rides but there is more financial aid then there had been in the past.

Football was down last year and there were internal reasons for that but for the most part they are a 7/8 win team in a tough as hell conference.

Basketball is the same way but they instead of the football powers there are the CPS basketball powers.

Baseball is an annual top 10 program as well.

The basketball kid transferred in as a Junior.  

On 11/26/2018 at 6:40 PM, greg775 said:

I think that was Aquinas' first state football title. In fact it was the school's first state football title. I think this recruiting thing is exaggerated. 

I wasn't just talking football.  Look across their entire program.  They dominate basketball and baseball.  I get Kansas has open enrollment, but Aquinas pulls any kid in the metro with a pulse.  Johnson County and Wichita dominate football because, as mentioned previously, those cities/programs have big dollars and fund the youth programs.  St. Thomas dominates while a ton of public schools in close proximity can't even field remotely competitive teams. 

I get that BR has to "split" with a lot of other nearby private schools, but who in their right mind sends their kid to one of the public schools near there?  What parent is going to send their kid to Joliet West or Central when JCA is offering a free ride?, ect.  I don't know the exact answer for a recruiting multiplier, but recruiting is most certainly not exaggerated.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/24/2018 at 10:04 PM, AustinIllini said:

Yup.  It's the same reason Lincoln-Way East is good and the other LW schools aren't as good.  Frankfort is just so much wealthier with more football kids.

Pulling athletes from Matteson and Country Club Hills is helpful as well. 

6 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Pulling athletes from Matteson and Country Club Hills is helpful as well. 

Not to mention the apartments rented in Frankfort that have 4 families living in them so the kids can go to East. It's not just football.

That is becoming more and more common and became chic with OPRF wrestling and then HF girls basketball.

Love the Kankakee kid going to Hillcrest...I can't figure that one out.

I am a catholic school guy so I do understand about recruiting but there are travel and financial hurdles to the catholic schools, I know families get some financial relief but they still pay something.

19 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

That is becoming more and more common and became chic with OPRF wrestling and then HF girls basketball.

Love the Kankakee kid going to Hillcrest...I can't figure that one out.

I am a catholic school guy so I do understand about recruiting but there are travel and financial hurdles to the catholic schools, I know families get some financial relief but they still pay something.

The families who send their kids to different public schools in these scenarios pay as well. The need to pay rent in the given district to legally have an address there. The rent and the address is legal. It's how the decision was made to rent a place there that is the issue.

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just kind of stumbled into this.  Some of the Catholic League Schools do some, erm, things for recruiting.

When I was in 8th grade (2002-2003) my football team was scouted pretty heavily by Catholic League Schools.  I received a full "Athletic scholarship" from St. Rita for football which is paid for under the table by booster clubs.  Rice did not do that kind of stuff.  That Rita team ended up winning State my Sr year of HS. Marist also did not do that stuff but Carmel did.  If you don't think there is some advantage to that idk what to tell you lol.

7 hours ago, BackDoorBreach said:

Just kind of stumbled into this.  Some of the Catholic League Schools do some, erm, things for recruiting.

When I was in 8th grade (2002-2003) my football team was scouted pretty heavily by Catholic League Schools.  I received a full "Athletic scholarship" from St. Rita for football which is paid for under the table by booster clubs.  Rice did not do that kind of stuff.  That Rita team ended up winning State my Sr year of HS. Marist also did not do that stuff but Carmel did.  If you don't think there is some advantage to that idk what to tell you lol.

That's wild. Is that legal? Like against IHSAA rules or ? You got free tuition to Rita? That is wild. By the way, how did u like attending Rita? I enjoyed Brother Rice for two years. I guess it didn't seem to matter we had no girls in classes. The McAuley girls came to our dances and it was fairly easy to meet them. When I went to Rice, Rita had a great running back. I forget his name. I think Rita usually beat Bro Rice in football back in the day.

10 hours ago, greg775 said:

That's wild. Is that legal? Like against IHSAA rules or ? You got free tuition to Rita? That is wild. By the way, how did u like attending Rita? I enjoyed Brother Rice for two years. I guess it didn't seem to matter we had no girls in classes. The McAuley girls came to our dances and it was fairly easy to meet them. When I went to Rice, Rita had a great running back. I forget his name. I think Rita usually beat Bro Rice in football back in the day.

No, it's not legal at all and against IHSA rules but they definitely do it.  I only went to Rita my Freshman year.  I got recruited and my tuition payed for for football so I started on the A team.  Unfortunately they did the same type of "recruitment" for baseball so I didn't get playing time my freshman year over the kids that were getting money even though I was better so I transferred out. 

I ended up being on Varsity for baseball and All-Conference my Soph year after I left lol.  It's pretty silly.  

Edited by BackDoorBreach

1 hour ago, BackDoorBreach said:

No, it's not legal at all and against IHSA rules but they definitely do it.  I only went to Rita my Freshman year.  I got recruited and my tuition payed for for football so I started on the A team.  Unfortunately they did the same type of "recruitment" for baseball so I didn't get playing time my freshman year over the kids that were getting money even though I was better so I transferred out. 

I ended up being on Varsity for baseball and All-Conference my Soph year after I left lol.  It's pretty silly.  

You gave up free tuition? Where'd you wind up?

On 9/7/2019 at 1:51 PM, BackDoorBreach said:

Public school where i got scholarship offers for football and baseball.

Cool, Breach. Let me guess. Evergreen Park HS or Morgan Park HS or Oak Lawn HS. Or Reavis. Can't think of any other south side schools.

Edited by greg775

I see Brother Rice pounded Perspectives the other night. I love BR but seems like they should have known Perspectives couldn't give them a game. My perspective is BR would have been better off playing some suburban school like Naperville North or Benet. Putting perspectives away in one quarter doesn't benefit anybody really.

15 hours ago, greg775 said:

I see Brother Rice pounded Perspectives the other night. I love BR but seems like they should have known Perspectives couldn't give them a game. My perspective is BR would have been better off playing some suburban school like Naperville North or Benet. Putting perspectives away in one quarter doesn't benefit anybody really.

Teams need 5 wins.  Look at the rest of their schedule 1 somewhat easy game left but that is drive up to Mundelein on a Friday.  Every team needs a couple winnable games.

Every CCL school now has financial aid of varies degrees for athletes.  That is the only way Rice and Marist can compete in 8A. 

On 9/9/2019 at 11:09 AM, Harry Chappas said:

Teams need 5 wins.  Look at the rest of their schedule 1 somewhat easy game left but that is drive up to Mundelein on a Friday.  Every team needs a couple winnable games.

Every CCL school now has financial aid of varies degrees for athletes.  That is the only way Rice and Marist can compete in 8A. 

Is BR in 7A this year? I thought I saw they are 7A.

• 5 weeks later...

Hey Harry, what's up with the Crusaders? Are we just young and will be great next season? Has the transfer from Aurora who is committed to LSU played all season? I've watched some games and it seemed the guys were out of it vs. St. Laurence. No tackling on that long TD run in the second half. Also seems like the coach at least that night had no confidence in QB, handing it off to our stud running back almost every down when I was watching. Will Rice make the state playoffs? I think we are 4-3.

22 hours ago, Brian said:

Warren coming for it all this year

I hear they look good.  EdgyTim Warren poster let you know weekly.

Not to be confused with guy gregg is talking about btw.

Gregg, Rice looks ok.  Lot of underclassmen but they should not have lost to Laurence or Providence at home.  They can beat MC but are a one and done in playoffs if they go in 5-4 in 8A