Illinois High School Football Thread

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/2/2019 at 11:41 PM, greg775 said:

Harry ... is Rice's coach desperate? He is playing a new QB and moved Willie to receiver? Wow. Is there pressure to win with this group? That'd be neat if we are peaking at the right time and can win another playoff game this week.

Soph is the better QB...he also is TOR pitcher and PG in basketball.  I think they were just looking to ease him in.

High School RB that are mostly about speed are now moving to WR.  Rice has a couple other guys that can be RB then Shaw is a combo.  WR gets him outside and into easier.  Also opens the box some for the QB who can run and other backs.

8 hours ago, Harry Chappas said:

Soph is the better QB...he also is TOR pitcher and PG in basketball.  I think they were just looking to ease him in.

High School RB that are mostly about speed are now moving to WR.  Rice has a couple other guys that can be RB then Shaw is a combo.  WR gets him outside and into easier.  Also opens the box some for the QB who can run and other backs.

Thanks Harry. I wonder if the kid who started the season at QB, Ben Somers, will transfer for his senior year. Did he play another position last week in our first-round victory?

21 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Thanks Harry. I wonder if the kid who started the season at QB, Ben Somers, will transfer for his senior year. Did he play another position last week in our first-round victory?

He and the junior starters  at Rita and MC all played together at Christina.  The Rita guy was replaced  week 9.  Somers  at Rice  will play DB going forward.  He is more of a baseball guy.  Hes an ok QB but the soph is better.  He wont transfer.

Thanks Harry. Is there any way we can ride the new QB's arm and Willie's speed at receiver and the LSU signee to greatness this postseason? Any way we can beat South Elgin? There's a slight chance I may be at the game BTW. 5 p.m. Saturday.

44 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

They should make it to DeKalb unless they have to go to Edwardsville in semis that is a long drive.

That would suck. They did that years ago and upset Edwardsville on a last second FG.

On 11/8/2019 at 8:28 AM, Harry Chappas said:

They can beat SE,  and potentially the next game.

Warren is very very good especially on the defensive side of the ball.

They have a nice draw that can make them look better than reality.

Great win tonight over south Elgin. Can we beat Minooka?? Looks like Badke has totally changed the team in the course of the season. They are running the ball and playing very good D. Like the old Rice teams. Now it seems like Badke is wary of passing at all, lol. Not ripping him. He's our coach the next 25 years I'm sure if Rice is smart. Carmel firing their coach Lenti after 12 state titles a couple years ago ... insane!

Edited by greg775

Minooka is beatable.  Should be an evenly matched game.

MC coach has lost 2 games in two years I think so that change is not really insane.  I get your point but they had a replacement right there for them

Badke doesn't run the offense.  There is an MC guy doing that now and they have great running backs similar to St Rita so go with what works.  They have nice drives that can easily take 5 -7 mins off the clock.. 

14 hours ago, Harry Chappas said:

Minooka is beatable.  Should be an evenly matched game.

MC coach has lost 2 games in two years I think so that change is not really insane.  I get your point but they had a replacement right there for them

Badke doesn't run the offense.  There is an MC guy doing that now and they have great running backs similar to St Rita so go with what works.  They have nice drives that can easily take 5 -7 mins off the clock.. 

Thanks for the info on Rice. Much appreciated. I did not know Mt. Carmel kept it rolling w/out Lenti. They are in 7A playoffs? I'm glad Rice is in 8A for some reason. If somehow we beat Minooka could the semifinal be at Rice?? What do you think of our soph quarterback? Is he destined to have a bad game ... simply because he's a sophomore? Are u an active Rice alum? Do you go to the annual stuff for alums? I love BR and need to take a tour of the facility when I come in next if I can get in. It was locked last time. Is that old indoor swim pool still there?

Edited by greg775

On 11/12/2019 at 5:20 PM, Buehrle>Wood said:

No idea how Rice managed to avoid all of Marist, LWE, Loyola and HF. I know a couple of them are down, but jeez did they luck out despite a poor season themselves. 

It's the state association that ranked Minooka No. 1. Nice win for No. 24 seed Rice. Can we beat Warren in the semis or is Rice's run over? That would be very weird to play Marist in the state title game.

15 hours ago, greg775 said:

It's the state association that ranked Minooka No. 1. Nice win for No. 24 seed Rice. Can we beat Warren in the semis or is Rice's run over? That would be very weird to play Marist in the state title game.

Minooka was way overseeded, but that's the playoff points seeding method.  You'd think they could put Soucie, Edgy Tim, a Quad Cities reporter, someone from Springfield in a room and give them more legitimate seedings, but it is what it is.

It's high school so anything can happen, but Rice and Marist will both be heavy underdogs next week.

All right Brian and Greg time to get it on.

Rice and Marist over hauled their programs this year and are playing their best ball at the right time.  I think they both met teams that are just deeper this week.  I think Loyola was a tad over rated this year and both Rice and Marist got great draws.  

Warren and LWE will be a good one but if Marist and Rice pull it off, Greg you need to Uber to Reilly's Daughter as that will be the epicenter of something.  MC and Rita should both be downstate as well.

Rita in 5A is something as they should be much higher as they have zero kids playing both ways and every team they play has many.  Would love to see them play MC or Naz.  

• Like 1

I keep thinking the Warren defense will wear down but their motor is unreal. This is the farthest the school has ever gotten and it's cool to see Gurnee and alumni talking about it. I wish I could go Sat but I have to hang out with @Rowand44 instead.

I don't follow it as closely as I used to but I look forward to handing Greg a big ol' fat L on Sat and making sure he knows about it. :P

On 11/18/2019 at 7:51 AM, Harry Chappas said:

All right Brian and Greg time to get it on.

Rice and Marist over hauled their programs this year and are playing their best ball at the right time.  I think they both met teams that are just deeper this week.  I think Loyola was a tad over rated this year and both Rice and Marist got great draws.  

Warren and LWE will be a good one but if Marist and Rice pull it off, Greg you need to Uber to Reilly's Daughter as that will be the epicenter of something.  MC and Rita should both be downstate as well.

Rita in 5A is something as they should be much higher as they have zero kids playing both ways and every team they play has many.  Would love to see them play MC or Naz.  

Is Reilly's daughter a great bar? Go Br. Rice!!!

On 11/18/2019 at 8:05 AM, Brian said:

I keep thinking the Warren defense will wear down but their motor is unreal. This is the farthest the school has ever gotten and it's cool to see Gurnee and alumni talking about it. I wish I could go Sat but I have to hang out with @Rowand44 instead.

I don't follow it as closely as I used to but I look forward to handing Greg a big ol' fat L on Sat and making sure he knows about it. :P

What are the odds my Crusaders win? 40 percent? 20? GO BR. RICE!