Illinois High School Football Thread

Congrats Brian.. Warren's defense stat wise appears to be the best in state history. I was unable to watch the game as no way I was signing up for a month of ISHSAA games with automatic renewal for one game. It would be unfair of me to comment at all. I dont' even know if Rice came close to scoring.

I will say it has to be tough to be a h.s. coach. The way Rice had been playing of late, scoring a lot of points with tough defense prolly had our coach thinking we could beat em straight up, especially since we beat 'em last year. Obviously Warren's defense is special. I wonder if we threw everything at them or just tried to beat em with our new QB's running ability and Shaw's running ability. I'll have to read the game stories now.

But congrats Brian. Warren and LW East should be incredible. It's obvious they are the two best teams. Again I didn't watch the game so I'm not trying to be critical at all. I just know Warren has a great great defense and we got shut out. They've allowed 30 points all year or something.

4 hours ago, greg775 said:

Congrats Brian.. Warren's defense stat wise appears to be the best in state history. I was unable to watch the game as no way I was signing up for a month of ISHSAA games with automatic renewal for one game. It would be unfair of me to comment at all. I dont' even know if Rice came close to scoring.

I will say it has to be tough to be a h.s. coach. The way Rice had been playing of late, scoring a lot of points with tough defense prolly had our coach thinking we could beat em straight up, especially since we beat 'em last year. Obviously Warren's defense is special. I wonder if we threw everything at them or just tried to beat em with our new QB's running ability and Shaw's running ability. I'll have to read the game stories now.

But congrats Brian. Warren and LW East should be incredible. It's obvious they are the two best teams. Again I didn't watch the game so I'm not trying to be critical at all. I just know Warren has a great great defense and we got shut out. They've allowed 30 points all year or something.

I think Rice had a few drives where Warren blocked a FG then got some turnovers.

Next week will obviously be toughest test of the year. AJ HEnning is a speed demon and they got other weapons. 
Things finally went Warren’s way in playoffs. We had great teams like 10 years ago but IHSA did the dumb quads and we were always facing Loyola or Maine south in the 1st or 2nd round.

15 hours ago, Brian said:

I think Rice had a few drives where Warren blocked a FG then got some turnovers.

Next week will obviously be toughest test of the year. AJ HEnning is a speed demon and they got other weapons. 
Things finally went Warren’s way in playoffs. We had great teams like 10 years ago but IHSA did the dumb quads and we were always facing Loyola or Maine south in the 1st or 2nd round.

It's so hard to reach the state final in Illinois much less win it. Gotta win four games to get there! You gotta be bleeping me. Here's hoping St Rita wins the 5A title and St Laurence the Prep Bowl.

On 11/24/2019 at 5:21 AM, Brian said:

Rice had some big plays early and was inside the 30 four times in the first half but couldn't capitalize.  Dropped a lot of passes.  They were getting open often downfield.

The Warren DL was as good as I have seen and I have seen a lot of high school football.

Warren had two big plays to make it 14-0 and the score to make it 14-0 took the air out of Rice.  It really could have been 0-0 going into the 4th quarter.

I will give Rice credit they played hard and made a game of it but seemed to have been worn down.

Warren was the better team as was LWE v Marist.

Greg the Naz QB has ties to Rice and if not for where the family lives he would be at RIce. 

The 7A and 8A will both be great games. 

• 7 months later...

So no Brother Rice football until Feb. 15. Illinois State High School Activities Association ruled today football will be played in the spring, starting Feb. 15.

Assuming you need to let the kids work out a month in advance, they'll be practicing in Chicago winter weather Jan. 15 or so? So many questions. Are voluntary workouts allowed in the fall? So these kids will basically be practicing the first day of school until hitting it hard on Jan. 15? Or are workouts not allowed at all til the actual football season?

Will some of the seniors who have landed scholarships just sit this one out? I mean you make it all the way to February, why bother? Can you imagine if we have a winter that is especially cold or snowy? You have three games in February, then four in March, four in April and the playoffs in May before graduation? I don't see why some of the sports like CC are allowed to be played in the fall and not football. Yes cases are going up and science predicts a gloomy outlook. But this winter could be spike city.

In conclusion ... February weather, so close to graduation ... why would a senior football player even bother? Just fix the itch playing on the streets and parks of Chicago and move on to college. Sad day.

Edited by greg775

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Folks, why is Badke stepping down after next season, his 10th at BR? I personally think he did a fine to excellent job worthy of a solid A grade.

And does anybody think the new coach can beat the Marists, Mt. Carmels and Loyolas of the word, even the Ritas?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Harry ... is this the year Rice wins it all? Seems like the QB is for real; the RB is for real. I'd assume the defense is lookin' good after the week one score. Seems like once again there will be a good run/pass balance unlike early Badke years.

Is this the year, the final year of Badke, that BR reigns No. 1?

Edited by greg775

The Brother Rice-Perspectives game has been called off tonight for some reason. I guess it's Rice's fault for not scheduling tougher teams. I assume Perspectives is no good and Rice would have pounded them. Just my perspective on the cancellation.

• 2 weeks later...

Brother Rice vs. Loyola was a classic Friday night on Br. Rice TV on youtube.

Loyola won 45-42. Maldonado gained 350 or so rushing yards with 3 or so TDs. School record rushing yards. Sadly he got hurt on his last carry, broken collarbone.

Meanwhile, Rice QB Lausch accounted for six TDs. I can't recall if they all were passing TDs or not. It was a great game at Br. Rice. Loyola is really good again. The offense is unstoppable. I think Br. Rice is really good but once again a notch below Loyola. Hope they are not in the same class. I think Rice is 7A this year.

• 3 weeks later...

Watched Br. Rice on youtube. 56-49 loss at home to Joliet Catholic. I hope the new head coach after this season isn't the current defensive coordinator. Rice has already hired Badke's replacement and he's on staff already. Not sure what his role is in this observational year for him.

Illini signee on JC rushed for six TDs and 335 yards. he's 6-3 and ran over the Rice defense.

Tough loss for the boys on Pulaski. None of the kids seemed too interested in stepping in front of the RB who had a career night.

Edited by greg775

On 10/9/2021 at 12:54 AM, greg775 said:

Watched Br. Rice on youtube. 56-49 loss at home to Joliet Catholic. I hope the new head coach after this season isn't the current defensive coordinator. Rice has already hired Badke's replacement and he's on staff already. Not sure what his role is in this observational year for him.

Illini signee on JC rushed for six TDs and 335 yards. he's 6-3 and ran over the Rice defense.

Tough loss for the boys on Pulaski. None of the kids seemed too interested in stepping in front of the RB who had a career night.

JCA is the best team in the state regardless of class.  They will breeze through 4A.

The new Rice head coach is only observing and has no current role.  He will be really good.

5 hours ago, Harry Chappas said:

JCA is the best team in the state regardless of class.  They will breeze through 4A.

The new Rice head coach is only observing and has no current role.  He will be really good.

I watched the game and also watched a few other Rice games. I disagree on JC being best team in state. Their defense obviously is not special and somebody's going to shut down that big back. I love Rice and don't like to criticize high school kids at all. I'll just say again they didn't seem very interested on this night in gang tackling or physicality. They usually have no problem in that area.

As far as new Rice coach, good to hear. Is Badke OK with the guy observing all season? I'm a Badke supporter and would think it's not great if it's not being handled perfectly. You know way way way more than me regarding wht's going on there now. Why's the new guy gonna be really good? Just curious. Obviously I want him and the players to succeed. Br Rice football has been pretty darn good in the Badke era. Time flies. I remember asking you about Badke when he got hired. Geez. Time flies.

• 1 month later...
On 11/13/2021 at 2:03 PM, greg775 said:

Hey Harry ... anyway Br. Rice can beat Mt. Carmel today? I shoulda flown back for the game. I hope the team can get the job done. I am skeptical though. It's tough to beat a team twice.

Yep three times in one calendar year.  If they win Saturday may play Rita for championship.  Place went nuts when they won.

17 hours ago, Harry Chappas said:

Yep three times in one calendar year.  If they win Saturday may play Rita for championship.  Place went nuts when they won.

I watched it. Fantastic game. QB needs to keep running. Serious weapon with his legs. Wheaton North is good. I guess anything can happen in the semifinal game. That's a tough conference. I have good vibes if we play Rita in the final. I'm worried about the Wheaton semifinal at Wheaton. Guys have to play as hard as they did versus Carmel. I will say if Rice doesn't win it this year I can't imagine ever winning it again. Rice is never gonna have a better QB. The kid is that good. The defense is not all that but has a couple studs on D. The offense doesn't have the passing game of the past but QB can throw and oh, he can run. Good luck to the coaches and players is my final take. Basically nothing will surprise me in the upcoming semifinal.

p.s. Just my takes. Don't mean to sound like a know it all. I've watched a lot of games on stream and have a few opinions.

Edited by greg775

1 hour ago, greg775 said:

I watched it. Fantastic game. QB needs to keep running. Serious weapon with his legs. Wheaton North is good. I guess anything can happen in the semifinal game. That's a tough conference. I have good vibes if we play Rita in the final. I'm worried about the Wheaton semifinal at Wheaton. Guys have to play as hard as they did versus Carmel. I will say if Rice doesn't win it this year I can't imagine ever winning it again. Rice is never gonna have a better QB. The kid is that good. The defense is not all that but has a couple studs on D. The offense doesn't have the passing game of the past but QB can throw and oh, he can run. Good luck to the coaches and players is my final take. Basically nothing will surprise me in the upcoming semifinal.

p.s. Just my takes. Don't mean to sound like a know it all. I've watched a lot of games on stream and have a few opinions.

You are not wrong on any of your takes.  

• Thanks 1

On 11/14/2021 at 7:59 AM, southsider2k5 said:

I know its Indiana, but my high school team is in the FInal 4 for the 3rd time in 5 years.  A win next week on our home turf, and we play in state finals at Lucas Oil Stadium in Indy on Black Friday.

The HS I went to for one day is in the same conference as MC, but they've never made it that far.

5 hours ago, Harry Chappas said:

You are not wrong on any of your takes.  

I always send a direct twitter message to the Brother Rice football twitter account after significant games saying we alums are proud of their effort and congratulate the players and coaches and thank them for their hard work and wish them continued good luck. I will never criticize high school players who are giving their all and coaches who are not paid much at all. Win or lose, good game or bad, I support them. Would like to see Badke go out with the title. IMO he's done a stellar job. ... p.s. I was watching one of the Rice videos and that pool looks like the same one I used to swim in first hour. Brrrrrrrr. After walking to school in the winter, that was a helluva shock hitting the water first hour.

Edited by greg775
  • Like 1