Illinois High School Football Thread

11 hours ago, greg775 said:

I always send a direct twitter message to the Brother Rice football twitter account after significant games saying we alums are proud of their effort and congratulate the players and coaches and thank them for their hard work and wish them continued good luck. I will never criticize high school players who are giving their all and coaches who are not paid much at all. Win or lose, good game or bad, I support them. Would like to see Badke go out with the title. IMO he's done a stellar job. ... p.s. I was watching one of the Rice videos and that pool looks like the same one I used to swim in first hour. Brrrrrrrr. After walking to school in the winter, that was a helluva shock hitting the water first hour.

Same pool, better lighting and new lockerroom 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/15/2021 at 9:55 PM, greg775 said:

I always send a direct twitter message to the Brother Rice football twitter account after significant games saying we alums are proud of their effort and congratulate the players and coaches and thank them for their hard work and wish them continued good luck. I will never criticize high school players who are giving their all and coaches who are not paid much at all. Win or lose, good game or bad, I support them. Would like to see Badke go out with the title. IMO he's done a stellar job. ... p.s. I was watching one of the Rice videos and that pool looks like the same one I used to swim in first hour. Brrrrrrrr. After walking to school in the winter, that was a helluva shock hitting the water first hour.

We had Fresh/Soph practice at 5:30 AM each morning during swim season (Saint Patrick H.S.).

Swim Season is held in the Winter (Nov - Feb). It was brutal. 

• Thanks 1

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Hey Harry. What's the verdict on the new football coach. Is he liked? Respected? Thought of as nobody special? A buffoon or a stellar replacement? I figured word would be out since there's offseason workouts and assembling of talent to be done. You need players to win. Does he have a good team coming back? Did he add any skill position transfers or big linemen, linebackers?

Finally ... what's Badke doing now? Does he still office at Bro Rice? He's arguably a top two coach in Rice history. Hoping Rice can stay elite under the new guy and not turn into St. Laurence/Benet football (decent but not a contender for the trophy).

Edited by greg775

On 7/11/2022 at 12:46 AM, greg775 said:

Hey Harry. What's the verdict on the new football coach. Is he liked? Respected? Thought of as nobody special? A buffoon or a stellar replacement? I figured word would be out since there's offseason workouts and assembling of talent to be done. You need players to win. Does he have a good team coming back? Did he add any skill position transfers or big linemen, linebackers?

Finally ... what's Badke doing now? Does he still office at Bro Rice? He's arguably a top two coach in Rice history. Hoping Rice can stay elite under the new guy and not turn into St. Laurence/Benet football (decent but not a contender for the trophy).

He checks all the boxes but cupboard is a little bare.  We will see what happens when Friday Night rolls around.

Badke has a younger son so he is hanging around I guess nothing football connected officially or in the school.

7 hours ago, Harry Chappas said:

He checks all the boxes but cupboard is a little bare.  We will see what happens when Friday Night rolls around.

Badke has a younger son so he is hanging around I guess nothing football connected officially or in the school.

Wow, cupboard hasn't been bare for a while. I'm sure it adds something nice to the fall on the South side when Rice and Marist are good in football. Hope the team is still good. ... Did Badke get burned out?

Edited by greg775

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/16/2022 at 12:28 PM, greg775 said:

Wow, cupboard hasn't been bare for a while. I'm sure it adds something nice to the fall on the South side when Rice and Marist are good in football. Hope the team is still good. ... Did Badke get burned out?

He stated it was in the best interest of his family and business. So it sounds like he had to pick 2 of 3, and this one was easiest to give up.

1 hour ago, nitetrain8601 said:

He stated it was in the best interest of his family and business. So it sounds like he had to pick 2 of 3, and this one was easiest to give up.

Yeah I keep forgetting the job of football coach pays almost nothing. I wasn't aware he had a business. Man, that would be draining to run some business then head over to the high school for practice, monitor weights, then the games on Friday. Long days and nights I'd assume. He did a nice job IMO. Rice had good teams almost every year. I hope we don't turn into St. Laurence football. Just OK every once in a while.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/29/2022 at 10:12 PM, greg775 said:

Yeah I keep forgetting the job of football coach pays almost nothing. I wasn't aware he had a business. Man, that would be draining to run some business then head over to the high school for practice, monitor weights, then the games on Friday. Long days and nights I'd assume. He did a nice job IMO. Rice had good teams almost every year. I hope we don't turn into St. Laurence football. Just OK every once in a while.

Maybe pays nothing in Chicago. Here they are administrators and well compensated. But with that comes heavy scrutiny and pressure. 

• 2 weeks later...

Harry. ... what's the verdict on Rice's new coach, Casey Quedenfeld? Do people at least like him as he begins his tenure as coach? Does he seem like a nice competent guy? Does he fit in the rugged South side? It's a crazy experiment bringing in a former Texas h.s. assistant and assistant at Loyola High in LA to be head coach in the Catholic League. ... It looked like Rice had reached elite status for years to come under Badke. He seemed to know how to bring in top talent from the area to attend Rice. I hope Casey has consulted Badke on how to do this. Mt Carmel seems to be good every year; ditto Loyola. I was hoping Rice had reached that status. 

Are any top 25s out? Is Br. Rice ranked? 

Also what's the deal with coach Bobby Frasor? Why did he leave? Is something going on or did he want to make better cash somewhere? Again Rice was pretty damn amazing in his tenure. Who is replacing him?? Thanks Harry. I need to come back for a game.

Edited by greg775

On 8/20/2022 at 7:32 PM, greg775 said:

Harry. ... what's the verdict on Rice's new coach, Casey Quedenfeld? Do people at least like him as he begins his tenure as coach? Does he seem like a nice competent guy? Does he fit in the rugged South side? It's a crazy experiment bringing in a former Texas h.s. assistant and assistant at Loyola High in LA to be head coach in the Catholic League. ... It looked like Rice had reached elite status for years to come under Badke. He seemed to know how to bring in top talent from the area to attend Rice. I hope Casey has consulted Badke on how to do this. Mt Carmel seems to be good every year; ditto Loyola. I was hoping Rice had reached that status. 

Also what's the deal with coach Bobby Frasor? Why did he leave? Is something going on or did he want to make better cash somewhere? Again Rice was pretty damn amazing in his tenure. Who is replacing him?? Thanks Harry. I need to come back for a game.

I am not in the building so a lot of this is conjecture Greg.

I think Casey will be fine.  There is no need to have someone from the CCL.  I know a lot of people consider the CCL to be something but it's a lot of schools that take advantage of playing in 5A/6A.  There are good teams but a lot of them would be beat in 8A rather easily.  Look at what Marist did to teams in the ESCC prior to the merger with the CCL.  LA and MC are the two real powerhouses.

I have no clue about Frasor but the HS basketball world is no fun.  A lot of recruiting.  St Rita basically used the "transfer portal" to build the #1 team in the state.  Maybe things like that and Shayer (sp?) getting the Duke job  caused him to reflect.  I think he was well liked in the building.  Brought the program stability.  Not sure if there is a hire yet.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Harry Chappas said:

I am not in the building so a lot of this is conjecture Greg.

I think Casey will be fine.  There is no need to have someone from the CCL.  I know a lot of people consider the CCL to be something but it's a lot of schools that take advantage of playing in 5A/6A.  There are good teams but a lot of them would be beat in 8A rather easily.  Look at what Marist did to teams in the ESCC prior to the merger with the CCL.  LA and MC are the two real powerhouses.

I have no clue about Frasor but the HS basketball world is no fun.  A lot of recruiting.  St Rita basically used the "transfer portal" to build the #1 team in the state.  Maybe things like that and Shayer (sp?) getting the Duke job  caused him to reflect.  I think he was well liked in the building.  Brought the program stability.  Not sure if there is a hire yet.

Thank you. Good stuff. I hope BR stays elite and doesn't turn into St, Laurence. I find a lot of topics interesting about BR obviously. I heard they were turning the baseball field around. Did anybody in the neighborhood ever complain about foul balls pelting their cars and houses?

On 8/20/2022 at 7:32 PM, greg775 said:

He left because they wouldn't make him AD. Dumb on Rice's part

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

He left because they wouldn't make him AD. Dumb on Rice's part

I wonder what the powers that be had against Bobby if they didn't make him AD. Wasn't he already assistant AD? I didn't know the AD left as well. I wonder if Bobby and Badke simply need more money in this day and age. I see my old grade school Queen of M has merged with St. Bernadette. So it's not like these Catholic schools have a lot of cash to throw around. 

I would think most Rice grads who donate money to the school were mighty happy with both Badke and Bobby and would have donated some $ to help them stick around if making money in this economy was a factor.

What happened to the old Rice AD where we need a new one?

Peace and thanx.

Edited by greg775

1 hour ago, greg775 said:

I wonder what the powers that be had against Bobby if they didn't make him AD. Wasn't he already assistant AD? I didn't know the AD left as well. I wonder if Bobby and Badke simply need more money in this day and age. I see my old grade school Queen of M has merged with St. Bernadette. So it's not like these Catholic schools have a lot of cash to throw around. 

I would think most Rice grads who donate money to the school were mighty happy with both Badke and Bobby and would have donated some $ to help them stick around if making money in this economy was a factor.

What happened to the old Rice AD where we need a new one?

Peace and thanx.

He was in line for the AD job and last minute politics played a role so he took his ball and went home from what I heard. I think he's out of coaching all together. Not sure what happened to old AD

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

He was in line for the AD job and last minute politics played a role so he took his ball and went home from what I heard. I think he's out of coaching all together. Not sure what happened to old AD

Good luck to them finding a hoops coach as qualified as Frasor. I'd promote his assistant and see if he can continue the Frasor momentum.

• Like 1

Ugh. BR hoops hired some older guy. Not an ageist here but to go from young, hip Bobby Frasor to some John Wooden-esque person makes little sense to greg. I think Frasor's running North Carolina offense would be more fun for kids. ... I did read the new ADs qualifications and he seems like he does have an acceptable resume. Frasor probably needs money to raise a family and coaching h.s. in the Catholic League or any league prolly doesn't pay the rent. Peace.

Edited by greg775

On 8/25/2022 at 1:31 PM, Buehrle>Wood said:

I dont think he really wanted the AD gig he was being paid to coach basketball and for some reason didnt want to any more,  I have never seen him at a youth basketball game so Im not sure he had the heart to do recruit,  New guy has experience and is retired educator so he has time to dedicate to program and groom next guy,

Former AD was a place holder through COVID, new guy seems to be pretty good,

New football coach is the real deal.

• Like 1

On 8/27/2022 at 11:40 PM, Harry Chappas said:

I dont think he really wanted the AD gig he was being paid to coach basketball and for some reason didnt want to any more,  I have never seen him at a youth basketball game so Im not sure he had the heart to do recruit,  New guy has experience and is retired educator so he has time to dedicate to program and groom next guy,

Former AD was a place holder through COVID, new guy seems to be pretty good,

New football coach is the real deal.

Sorry to make it a Br Rice thread but I'm a lifelong fan what can I say? ... Was disappointed in the Rita outcome. I forget how BR has done against Rita the past few seasons of the BB era but I think we won regularly over Rita. I watched the Week One game and thought the defense looked good. Are u equally disappointed Harry or is Rita special?

On 9/3/2022 at 10:33 PM, greg775 said:

Sorry to make it a Br Rice thread but I'm a lifelong fan what can I say? ... Was disappointed in the Rita outcome. I forget how BR has done against Rita the past few seasons of the BB era but I think we won regularly over Rita. I watched the Week One game and thought the defense looked good. Are u equally disappointed Harry or is Rita special?

Rice had chances to win but don't capitalize.  If they get better every week they will be fine.  MC and Loyola will be big favorites but they can go 6-3/5-4

• Like 1

On 9/6/2022 at 11:41 AM, Harry Chappas said:

Rice had chances to win but don't capitalize.  If they get better every week they will be fine.  MC and Loyola will be big favorites but they can go 6-3/5-4

Nice win at Benet. I watched the game on stream and I can't believe Rice hit a late pass to pull it out. However, Benet is quite mediocre and actually should have won that game.

Rice had so many penalties and use of the two quarterbacks was kind of bizarre. Didn't hear if the starter got hurt. But he came in to throw the winning pass. Rice probably had double the kids out for football as Benet. Time will tell and hoping for the best but if Loyola crushes Rice this week is it safe to assume the new coach may not understand how to recruit on the South side to combat the likes of Rita, Marist, Laurence and some of those other schools in the southside area?

On 9/10/2022 at 1:32 PM, greg775 said:

Nice win at Benet. I watched the game on stream and I can't believe Rice hit a late pass to pull it out. However, Benet is quite mediocre and actually should have won that game.

Rice had so many penalties and use of the two quarterbacks was kind of bizarre. Didn't hear if the starter got hurt. But he came in to throw the winning pass. Rice probably had double the kids out for football as Benet. Time will tell and hoping for the best but if Loyola crushes Rice this week is it safe to assume the new coach may not understand how to recruit on the South side to combat the likes of Rita, Marist, Laurence and some of those other schools in the southside area?

Loyola will crush Rice and every other opponent until they face MC and then the 8A playoffs will be interesting as they and LWE are really really good.

Rice and Rita were going to be a little worse than normal this year and they are.