Jose Abreu

August numbers:

30.2 IP (5 GS)

24 H

7 BB

26 K

1.01 WHIP

1.47 ERA

I also like that he's getting more speed, hitting 97-99 now when he needs to (Sale-esque with a bit more velocity) but also being able to fool hitters with his slider and change-up.

A Sale/Quintana trade would definitely be more manageable if Rodon can be a true #1/#2 pitcher, which he definitely has the potential to be.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Aug 28, 2016 -> 05:24 PM)
August numbers:

30.2 IP (5 GS)

24 H

7 BB

26 K

1.01 WHIP

1.47 ERA

I also like that he's getting more speed, hitting 97-99 now when he needs to (Sale-esque with a bit more velocity) but also being able to fool hitters with his slider and change-up.

A Sale/Quintana trade would definitely be more manageable if Rodon can be a true #1/#2 pitcher, which he definitely has the potential to be.

Yes, however I suspect that the prospect of having 3 #ones will make it more likely that the front office will keep them all and try to go for it again.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 28, 2016 -> 05:57 PM)
I'll say it again. Can somebody please get the Sox in the playoffs so we can see Sale/Q/Rodon in a short series? The playoffs would be the easy part,:getting there is a b****.

People always say this, but I don't quite get why it would be somehow easier to win a playoff series with these starters when we can't seem to win regular series.

I tend to think we would lose 2-1 or 3-2 when Q pitches just like we do in the regular season.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 28, 2016 -> 09:15 PM)
People always say this, but I don't quite get why it would be somehow easier to win a playoff series with these starters when we can't seem to win regular series.

I tend to think we would lose 2-1 or 3-2 when Q pitches just like we do in the regular season.

I can't argue with anything you say shack. It just seems like the type of rotation you see get hot in the playoffs and win it all. Maybe a couple home run hitters start feeling it to get those couple of runs needed. Or Kluber/Carrasco/Salazar win every game 2-0 like you said. Just get there for once!

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 28, 2016 -> 07:55 PM)
I can't argue with anything you say shack. It just seems like the type of rotation you see get hot in the playoffs and win it all. Maybe a couple home run hitters start feeling it to get those couple of runs needed. Or Kluber/Carrasco/Salazar win every game 2-0 like you said. Just get there for once!

Yeah, I hear you...the potential is definitely there.

One of these years it might just be bound to happen!

QUOTE (bmags @ Aug 28, 2016 -> 04:04 PM)
Probably coincidence but it seems catcher chemistry matters more to Rodons performance than others. The flowers switch last year and Narvaez this year seem to show up quite a bit

I think this has most to do with Rodon's continued evolution / development. The expectations for Rodon to start the year were ridiculous, especially for a guy who had the command issues / inconsistency that he has. That takes time to work through and we are seeing what we all should have expected (and something very consistent with my posts at the start of the year), that we would see greatness and junk from Rodon and as the season progressed, we'd start to see him turn a corner and I believe we are seeing that corner turn and next year, expectations should be higher. The stuff is fantastic, but the command is coming.

QUOTE (bighurt574 @ Aug 29, 2016 -> 11:53 AM)
If Rodon keeps pitching like this, along with Sale and Q, it's sure tempting to not shake things up for next year (besides hopefully adding a bat or two).

Heck, if August Rodon and Abreu stick around, we could even contend....

If Rodon keeps going like this, and then we get something back from a guy like Miguel Gonzalez, or even Fulmer, I think it makes it easier to move Sale/Q. The Sox will feel like they have the depth to move a guy like that and get all of the offense they can trade for.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 29, 2016 -> 10:10 AM)
If Rodon keeps going like this, and then we get something back from a guy like Miguel Gonzalez, or even Fulmer, I think it makes it easier to move Sale/Q. The Sox will feel like they have the depth to move a guy like that and get all of the offense they can trade for.

This is just deja vu all over again. It's exactly the same as last year. In the last 2 months of 2015 Rodon had a 2.28 ERA. He is probably the main reason the Sox haven't burned it all down. If he finds the consistency of Sale/Q over an entire season it's huge. That's what people were expecting this year from him.

If you are of the mind that the Sox need to rebuild part of the reason is we didn't get the new and improved Rodon of the last 2 months of 2015 . Now it is happening again and once again it will make it difficult to make decisions concerning 2017.

Sale and Q being Sale and Q means 40% of your starters can be counted on.Add Rodon to the mix and its 60%. That might mean an extra 5 wins during the season. That would make the Sox 68-61 this year and right in the thick of things. Rodn becoming what we all think he an be is paramount to the Sox success and that means keeping Sale and Q.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Aug 29, 2016 -> 12:38 PM)
This is just deja vu all over again. It's exactly the same as last year. In the last 2 months of 2015 Rodon had a 2.28 ERA. He is probably the main reason the Sox haven't burned it all down. If he finds the consistency of Sale/Q over an entire season it's huge. That's what people were expecting this year from him.

If you are of the mind that the Sox need to rebuild part of the reason is we didn't get the new and improved Rodon of the last 2 months of 2015 . Now it is happening again and once again it will make it difficult to make decisions concerning 2017.

Sale and Q being Sale and Q means 40% of your starters can be counted on.Add Rodon to the mix and its 60%. That might mean an extra 5 wins during the season. That would make the Sox 68-61 this year and right in the thick of things. Rodn becoming what we all think he an be is paramount to the Sox success and that means keeping Sale and Q.

So let's see, the first problem is that the final paragraph is exactly the argument that the FO will make to ownership about why they need to sell out and be all in next year again, but anyway.

Here's my issue with getting excited about Rodon - you see it in posts above this one as well, saying "if he finds the consistency..." but that's not easy.

Even a true ace will have plenty of days where he doesn't have 1 of his pitches working, and even a true ace will have days where he has literally nothing. The trick for "consistency" is what can they do when they don't have things working.

To me, it's not unexpected at all that Rodon is having a really good stretch right now, because he has two plus pitches. When those two pitches are working effectively several games in a row, he will have several great games in a row. You can even see guys keep that up with two plus pitches for long enough to make the all star game, but eventually they always hit a rut because every pitcher loses the feel for some pitch eventually. Right now Rodon's had two seasons where he's found a groove and had both pitches working late in the year but not early in the year.

That's where he needs to be more flexible as a pitcher. While he was struggling in July, the Yankees announcers noted that everything was hard, hard, hard with him - upper 90s fastball followed by high 80s slider. That's a mix that works from the bullpen when you face a guy once or you get pulled before the second pitch hurts you, but as a starter one way to overcome the times you are missing one of your pitches is to be able to change speeds. We're still waiting on him to have some ability to do that - a hard fastball and a hard slider will destroy some teams if they're plus pitches, but other teams that hit those pitches well or days when the slider isn't working well will still be bad.

Without an effective pitch in the lower 80s, Rodon's success will be entirely based on him having his slider and fastball and good control of both every time out, and I haven't seen the pitcher who works that way.

QUOTE (bmags @ Aug 30, 2016 -> 11:13 AM)
He did have a start where he used 21 changeups. I think that is developing more than you are giving credit for.

http://www.brooksbaseball.net/outcome.php?...16&s_type=2

This chart illustrates this well. He's used his changeup more often in August than in any other month of his career, by far. This month he's thrown his change 16.95% of the time, while his second-highest month in usage is June of last year at 11.62%. He has been a legitimate three-pitch pitcher this month.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Aug 30, 2016 -> 09:25 AM)
http://www.brooksbaseball.net/outcome.php?...16&s_type=2

This chart illustrates this well. He's used his changeup more often in August than in any other month of his career, by far. This month he's thrown his change 16.95% of the time, while his second-highest month in usage is June of last year at 11.62%. He has been a legitimate three-pitch pitcher this month.

Great stuff.

I like what I have seen from Rodon. He is fun to watch when he is on his A game. I really enjoy Quintana.

Next year I see a rotation of Sale, Quintana, Rodon, Fulmer and either Gonzalez or Shields. I really kind of think Big Game James gets traded but then again you would hate to see us give up too soon like we did with Shark. Difference is Shields is older.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Aug 30, 2016 -> 01:40 PM)
I like what I have seen from Rodon. He is fun to watch when he is on his A game. I really enjoy Quintana.

Next year I see a rotation of Sale, Quintana, Rodon, Fulmer and either Gonzalez or Shields. I really kind of think Big Game James gets traded but then again you would hate to see us give up too soon like we did with Shark. Difference is Shields is older.

Who exactly is going to trade for Shields?

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Aug 30, 2016 -> 01:50 PM)
Who exactly is going to trade for Shields?

Someone do doesn't want to pay $12-15M AAV for the likes of Brett Anderson, Clay Bucholz, Andrew Cashner, Jeremy Hellickson, Derek Holland, Rich Hill, etc.

Shields will be tough to move, but if the Sox are willing to give him away (I suspect they will be), I bet he could be moved including much cash. $10M AAV is below the going rate for a back rotation innings eater.

• 2 weeks later...