CEO of Guaranteed Rate seems like a good guy

InTheDriversSeat

http://chicago.suntimes.com/news/kapos-ceo...eed-rates-name/

Victor Ciardelli III, CEO of 'guaranteed Rate' was interviewed by the Chicago Sun-Times, and his photo appears today on the front page of the newspaper. Victor is a lifelong Chicagoan and huge sports fan. Unlike most CEO's who get paid tens of millions of dollars for not doing much work, Victor built 'guaranteed Rate' on his own, a company with 1,300 employees.

QUOTE (InTheDriversSeat @ Aug 29, 2016 -> 04:15 PM)
http://chicago.suntimes.com/news/kapos-ceo...eed-rates-name/

Victor Ciardelli III, CEO of 'guaranteed Rate' was interviewed by the Chicago Sun-Times, and his photo appears today on the front page of the newspaper. Victor is a lifelong Chicagoan and huge sports fan. Unlike most CEO's who get paid tens of millions of dollars for not doing much work, Victor built 'guaranteed Rate' on his own, a company with 1,300 employees.

The 2nd part of your bolded comment is comically inaccurate.

I sent to high school with Victor back from '81-'85. Nice enough guy, and he was the poster child for the ultimate in preppy look back then. Brown boat shoes with no socks, sweater tied around his neck, and there wasn't a collar on an Izod or Ralph Lauren Polo he didn't like to turn up.

ChiSox59, you have your opinion, I have mine. But it is a well known fact that CEO's can be compensated by corporate boards (with salary, stock options, and bonuses) that are hundreds of times more than what regular employees are making, while performance is not commensurate. Not comical / inaccurate at all.

Read this to find out the outrageous amounts that CEO’s are getting paid:

https://www.thestreet.com/story/13463357/4/...much-money.html

Victor Ciardelli seems like a regular guy. He started and built privately held ‘guaranteed Rate’ on his own, and wasn't brought in from the outside and given hundreds of millions of dollars from a corporate board of directors, like other CEO’s.

You can't force someone in corporate America to be likeable or more palatable.

It feels like spin in an election year. Maybe I've been watching too much Mr. Robot this year, but it takes a lot of convincing that someone cares about anything but profitability and isn't just paying lip service when terms like corporate social responsibility and enlightened self-interest come into play.

You can look at it like he's doing this great thing for the White Sox, if you so choose, but you can also see that he took advantage of the lowest possible rate he could get for naming rights when all of the media attention and sponsorship dollars were flowing to the other side of town. Eventually, that almost has to shift to his favor when you take advantage of a "buy low" opportunity. After all, that's how the rich get richer. Taking advantage of market conditions to extract the highest possible value out of a deal. It's the American way, after all.

And, whenever he trots out there to throw out a ceremonial first pitch, I hope he at least gets it halfway to the plate.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Aug 29, 2016 -> 03:19 PM)

Yeah, I guess we should celebrate Mylan and the $600 Epipen not being the sponsors. Although, if the amount they ponied up was double what Guaranteed Rate was forking out, I'm sure we would be attempting to rationalize that as well...

Plus, there's a general rule from sports that anyone with a III after their name grew up around a country club, lol. Finally, there's another rule that anytime you say someone SEEMS like a good guy, the story invariably has a way of turning out like Tiger Woods or Anthony Weiner.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 29, 2016 -> 05:29 PM)
Yeah, I guess we should celebrate Mylan and the $600 Epipen not being the sponsors. Although, if the amount they ponied up was double what Guaranteed Rate was forking out, I'm sure we would be attempting to rationalize that as well...

That has absolutely nothing to do with CEOs not doing work.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 29, 2016 -> 05:47 PM)
Caulfield why are you so very hard trying to turn this company into a crooked company with a crooked owner?

In the end, the only thing that matters is perception.

And last week didn't go well in that area. The CEO of Guaranteed Rate could spend the next year doing a volunteer trip (not to Thailand with LaRoche) with Missionaries of Charity in Kolkata, India, and it still wouldn't fix that.

At any rate, In the Driver's Seat deserves more of a raise (by whoever it paying him) than Brooks Boyer. I swear, when I was home for summer vacation, the ONLY person who knew the White Sox were on in the Quad-Cities on WQAD-3 was probably me thanks to his updates (it would be one of those situations like the Astros had with technically zero viewers). I also didn't see a single bit of White Sox gear in any local shop (except for LIDS, which has EVERY team) except for one rung of Jose Abreu practice batting jerseys for sale. Unless there was a Chance the Rapper shop I wasn't aware of...

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 29, 2016 -> 07:52 PM)

And last week didn't go well in that area. The CEO of Guaranteed Rate could spend the next year doing a volunteer trip (not to Thailand with LaRoche) with Missionaries of Charity in Kolkata, India, and it still wouldn't fix that.

At any rate, In the Driver's Seat deserves more of a raise (by whoever it paying him) than Brooks Boyer. I swear, when I was home for summer vacation, the ONLY person who knew the White Sox were on in the Quad-Cities on WQAD-3 was probably me thanks to his updates (it would be one of those situations like the Astros had with technically zero viewers). I also didn't see a single bit of White Sox gear in any local shop (except for LIDS, which has EVERY team) except for one rung of Jose Abreu practice batting jerseys for sale. Unless there was a Chance the Rapper shop I wasn't aware of...

I really don't agree with you at all. Perception of a corporate sponsor isn't going to keep people away, a losing team is. Not many people are going to sit there like you and say "OMG IT MIGHT BE COUNTRYWIDE BANK THEY MIGHT BE CROOKED" or talk about how the owner has a III behind his name.

Fans of the sox will go to the park if the team wins.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Aug 29, 2016 -> 05:57 PM)
That has absolutely nothing to do with CEOs not doing work.

You're never going to convince the "99%" that the "1%" works hard or deserves their compensation/golden parachutes.

You just won't.

Only those who have at least managed employees or a company...started off from ground zero with nothing but a small business loan that used up every last ounce of collateral...will understand this concept.

You could assign everyone at SoxTalk to read all of collected works of Ayn Rand and it might not even matter.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 29, 2016 -> 06:57 PM)
I really don't agree with you at all. Perception of a corporate sponsor isn't going to keep people away, a losing team is. Not many people are going to sit there like you and say "OMG IT MIGHT BE COUNTRYWIDE BANK THEY MIGHT BE CROOKED" or talk about how the owner has a III behind his name.

It all goes back to pride.

These last four years (especially with everything that has gone down this season), it has been pretty difficult to hold your head up high as a White Sox fan.

Nothing to do with the Cubs. Just felt like one more blow to morale.

And yeah, the name wouldn't matter at all if they were one of the 18 teams in baseball competing for a playoff spot, but that hasn't been the case. Even the Marlins and Mariners fans have something to be excited about this time of year...heck, the Yankees sold off three important pieces and STILL have something to be excited about. That's the hardest part. Being a baseball fan at the most exciting time of year and have nothing to care about except for a corporate naming rights fiasco.

I love this site, I have read it for years. I really like the Sox fan perspective on the team. Unfortunately this thread is one of the reasons I didn't create an official login. Somebody tries to say something positive about anything and it goes negative right away,

Guaranteed Rate has naming rights, so what! There CEO is rich and happens to be a Sox fan, good for him. I don't care if it was Summers Eve Park as long as it smelled great watching the Sox kick ass year after year.

Love you all,

Cregermax

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 29, 2016 -> 06:59 PM)
I did my first mortgage with these guys when they were a small shop with a handful of workers. Good guys all around and always treated me right.

I've used them twice

What is this thread doing in pht though

Haha whoops missed the whole naming rights story

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (CregerMax @ Aug 29, 2016 -> 09:00 PM)
I love this site, I have read it for years. I really like the Sox fan perspective on the team. Unfortunately this thread is one of the reasons I didn't create an official login. Somebody tries to say something positive about anything and it goes negative right away,

Guaranteed Rate has naming rights, so what! There CEO is rich and happens to be a Sox fan, good for him. I don't care if it was Summers Eve Park as long as it smelled great watching the Sox kick ass year after year.

Love you all,

Cregermax

Welcome aboard. And I mostly agree, though I did cringe a bit at the name. This thread is, sadly, a poor reflection.

QUOTE (CregerMax @ Aug 29, 2016 -> 08:00 PM)

Love you all,

Cregermax

I was under the impression from reading the papers and seeing photos that he and his people are big, VERY BIG Cub fans.

Mark

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 29, 2016 -> 07:57 PM)

Wait. Are you implying that fans go to a ball game to see their team play and not for the name of the stadium? No way man, I don't buy it. :P

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 29, 2016 -> 07:52 PM)

Nobody in Chicago has ever said anything about Guaranteed Rate being crooked. They think it's a small time company sponsoring a major market baseball team's stadium. They think it's logo is funny because it matches the direction the White Sox are headed. Yet nobody thinks they are crooked. You are the only person who has ever mentioned it, and you keep mentioning it.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 30, 2016 -> 07:41 AM)
Nobody in Chicago has ever said anything about Guaranteed Rate being crooked. They think it's a small time company sponsoring a major market baseball team's stadium. They think it's logo is funny because it matches the direction the White Sox are headed. Yet nobody thinks they are crooked. You are the only person who has ever mentioned it, and you keep mentioning it.

They are a pretty substantial local business, obviously not a huge multi-national conglomerate or anything.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 30, 2016 -> 08:11 AM)
Where did I ever say they were crooked?

Those were someone else's words.

You throw them in the same sentence with EpiPen, Tiger Woods, and Weiner. You claim they need to go on a humanitarian mission to restore their image.

Here are a couple of your quotes from the other thread:

Wonder how many predatory lending cases/lawsuits they've been involved in...ala Countrywide?

Great, the Uber of loan companies. Will fit right in with Sox plans, schemes and off-season themes...