Thoughts out to KyYlE23

Brian

Thanks again for all of the kind words. We all don't know each other, but we all interact pretty much daily and while many of us fight and argue, it is not unlike a family for me. Reading some of the messages and PMs makes me feel better, thank you all for that.

I don't know you well, but I know you, and I know that you are a wonderful father not only to your children but to others as well. You obviously understand the importance of providing love and care for those who look up to you or are in need of those things. Continue doing what you're doing, Kyle. I'm certain your father is very proud of you.

My thoughts are with you and your family.

In some ways, it's the hardest thing anyone will ever go through, minus the loss of a child for those who are parents.

It took me a full three years to get over and I was already 30, so I at least had the fortune to have a full childhood growing up with his presence. In fact, it's the only time I went to see a counselor in my lifetime, which was through our school district's free employee assistance program.

My father never got to meet his grandson and I will always regret that. The hardest part is that he died suddenly from a heart attack at only 63. The worst part is that it was the Monday before Christmas that year (Ally McBeal was my parent's normal routine but he wasn't feeling well and stayed in bed according to my mom)...never got to say goodbye, and I always felt guilty because I went to visit other relatives for Thanksgiving because you just take for granted your parents will be around forever. Luckily, he didn't suffer for long and become a shadow of his former self or end up with a diminished life.

The best part was reading all the kind words that his coworkers wrote on a tribute page that was adapted from a web page he had created for the Rock Island Arsenal. That helped. All the hysteria and worry over Y2K (this was the very end of 1999) was one of the primary causes (in my opinion), and the weird thing is that he was such a logical, rational person. In my entire life, he never cursed once, never smoked or drank, lost his temper or got into a single real argument with my mother. He was the most patient person I've ever known, and that's one attribute I've always tried to emulate with varying degrees of success.

Edited by caulfield12