What should the Sox do this winter?

Jose Abreu

What should/will the Sox do this winter?   

53 members have voted

1. 1. What SHOULD the Sox do this winter?

• Buy
    • Sell
    • Stand pat
  2. 2. What WILL the Sox do this winter?

• Buy
    • Sell
    • Stand pat

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Sep 12, 2016 -> 11:40 AM)
He was average defensively, probably better than anything the Sox have had in a while. They moved him to LF because they had a hole there with Holt hurt, Vasquez is further along defensively and it made sense to keep him there so they could get them both in the lineup.

He may not have a real position. Benintendi obviously passed him on the depth chart for LF once Bradley took over center and moved Betts to right. But since he just had ankle surgery, his trade value will probably be questionable. His handling of pitchers was also questionable coming out of spring training.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Jerry wants to win now, buy like he means it and add a big, middle of the order bat (granted, not many out there for sale). With Rodon developing, I certainly see the appeal of going with a Sale-Q-Rodon trio for another year. And hope 2nd half Abreu shows up next April. If we're not willing to spend the $$$ to seriously contend, then you have to look at trading Sale and/or Q.

You can arrange the deck chairs all you want but nothing changes as long as KW is president, and unfortunately, probably while JR is owner.

He can talk about winning NOW all he wants, but the people tasked with assembling that winner have been to the playoffs exactly once in the last 11 years, where they were dispatched easily in the first round.

The people whom their #1 player clearly doesn't respect, and who've made bad decision after bad decision, this year's winner being Shields. Boy that was worth it.

Sadly, I think like the Bears with the McCaskeys, you can expect indefinite mediocrity as long as JR himself owns the team.

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Sep 13, 2016 -> 09:52 AM)
Even if he could keep his bat going... can you trust his defense? Would you be comfortable with him at DH. I don't think so.

No, you can't trust his defense. And really, you can't trust his offense, but there is always the possiblility he becomes a middle of the line up bat. It's against the odds, but if he did, there would be no sympathy for the White Sox for letting him walk.

The thing with Avi is you watch him, you see him hit the ball hard, you see him come up big in the clutch, you see him run hard and fast to 1B just about every time. You see his huge boday. You hear the sound of the ball off his bat. You think the Sox really have something. Then you look at his barely .700, usually a little below OPS, and think, nevermind.

He probably has a better shot at being someone who can hit after the start he has had than most, but I think they will let him go unless he goes Jose Abreu the next couple of weeks.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 13, 2016 -> 10:09 AM)
No, you can't trust his defense. And really, you can't trust his offense, but there is always the possiblility he becomes a middle of the line up bat. It's against the odds, but if he did, there would be no sympathy for the White Sox for letting him walk.

The thing with Avi is you watch him, you see him hit the ball hard, you see him come up big in the clutch, you see him run hard and fast to 1B just about every time. You see his huge boday. You hear the sound of the ball off his bat. You think the Sox really have something. Then you look at his barely .700, usually a little below OPS, and think, nevermind.

He probably has a better shot at being someone who can hit after the start he has had than most, but I think they will let him go unless he goes Jose Abreu the next couple of weeks.

One thing you explained well the last time the White Sox had a guy like this was the arbitration/non-guaranteed contract setup. Assuming that is not changed in the next CBA, they can offer him arbitration, sign him to a contract for about $4 million, then cut him for what, $50k at the end of spring training if they've replaced him during the offseason?

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Sep 13, 2016 -> 09:52 AM)
Even if he could keep his bat going... can you trust his defense? Would you be comfortable with him at DH. I don't think so.

This is why I still think the sox should've given him a longer look at LF. Hell, the statistics actually favor him the most there but its a sample size.