Police keep killing black people

Quin

He was a Good Guy with a gun who told police he had the gun and then told them he was going to reach for his wallet as asked and was then shot 7 times.

They were also pulled over for Driving While Black as the radio comms from the cop before the stop recorded him saying he was pulling them over because they "looked like suspects" from a recent robbery due to their "wide-set nose." The suspect description didn't mention nose width.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jun 16, 2017 -> 03:16 PM)
The cop who killed Philando Castile was just found not guilty. As a reminder, Philando did not break any laws whatsoever. Was in his car with his fiance and young daughter.

This is a little simplistic. He had a broken tail light, for which he was pulled over. He was also stoned and didn't listen to the officer when he told him to keep his hands in sight and not reach for anything including the weapon he told the officer he had. In fact part of the defense was that he was too stoned to understand the officers directions.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jun 16, 2017 -> 03:35 PM)
This is a little simplistic. He had a broken tail light, for which he was pulled over. He was also stoned and didn't listen to the officer when he told him to keep his hands in sight and not reach for anything including the weapon he told the officer he had. In fact part of the defense was that he was too stoned to understand the officers directions.

1) He wasn't driving

2) The broken tail light was a pretext as was revealed by the reasons the officer gave over the radio for pulling them over i.e. having a "wide nose"

QUOTE (shipps @ Jun 16, 2017 -> 03:31 PM)
I am completely ashamed of what this country represent's and stands for in 2017. Murder is legal and always has been as long as its someone non black killing a black person.

From January, but don't think it was posted here before.

THE FBI HAS QUIETLY INVESTIGATED WHITE SUPREMACIST INFILTRATION OF LAW ENFORCEMENT

Bureau policies have been crafted to take into account the active presence of domestic extremists in U.S. police departments.

WHITE SUPREMACISTS AND other domestic extremists maintain an active presence in U.S. police departments and other law enforcement agencies. A striking reference to that conclusion, notable for its confidence and the policy prescriptions that accompany it, appears in a classified FBI Counterterrorism Policy Guide from April 2015, obtained by The Intercept. The guide, which details the process by which the FBI enters individuals on a terrorism watchlist, the Known or Suspected Terrorist File, notes that “domestic terrorism investigations focused on militia extremists, white supremacist extremists, and sovereign citizen extremists often have identified active links to law enforcement officers,” and explains in some detail how bureau policies have been crafted to take this infiltration into account.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jun 16, 2017 -> 03:40 PM)
From January, but don't think it was posted here before.

THE FBI HAS QUIETLY INVESTIGATED WHITE SUPREMACIST INFILTRATION OF LAW ENFORCEMENT

Bureau policies have been crafted to take into account the active presence of domestic extremists in U.S. police departments.

I remember over 20 years ago being the passenger in the car that my Uncle was driving (who is now a crack head) when he was pulled over by police. They wrote him a ticket and gave it to him. My uncle then went into his wallet and pulled out a card and handed it to the officer. He looked at the card and told my Uncle to wait a minute and walked back over to the sqaud car. I asked my uncle what was up and he said lets wait and see. The officer came back to the car and handed my uncle the card back and told him to rip up the ticket, he was good.

My uncle drove off and handed me the card laughing. It was some sort of official KKK card that he says was given to him by his biker gang. I was a young kid at the time and I remember I kept asking him questions about it because I wanted reassurance that he wasn't a part of the KKK or anything.

QUOTE (shipps @ Jun 16, 2017 -> 01:51 PM)
I remember over 20 years ago being the passenger in the car that my Uncle was driving (who is now a crack head) when he was pulled over by police. They wrote him a ticket and gave it to him. My uncle then went into his wallet and pulled out a card and handed it to the officer. He looked at the card and told my Uncle to wait a minute and walked back over to the sqaud car. I asked my uncle what was up and he said lets wait and see. The officer came back to the car and handed my uncle the card back and told him to rip up the ticket, he was good.

My uncle drove off and handed me the card laughing. It was some sort of official KKK card that he says was given to him by his biker gang. I was a young kid at the time and I remember I kept asking him questions about it because I wanted reassurance that he wasn't a part of the KKK or anything.

WTF...that's scary.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jun 16, 2017 -> 03:37 PM)
1) He wasn't driving

2) The broken tail light was a pretext as was revealed by the reasons the officer gave over the radio for pulling them over i.e. having a "wide nose"

No doubt the broken tail light was a pretext to pull him over. I got pulled over for not having a license plate light. However once I told the officer I had a weapon in the car I didn't ignore his request to keep my hands where he could see them.

I'm not saying this to justify whatthe officer did. I'm just commenting on the statement thathe did absolutely nothing wrong. He did do things wrong. Shen a police officer pulls you over, you listen to everthing he says espcially when you are armed. Even if youare legally armed, the officer is on a different state of awareness.

To the attorneys on here: Is it very difficult to convict somebody in a highly publicized case? Look at the case in Minnesota that has people shutting down highways again in protest of the decision that the police officer is not guilty of shooting and killing that kid for basically no reason. Also Ferguson.

Look at Cosby having a mistrial. And of course OJ.

Do you feel as attorneys that our system makes it almost impossible to convict in a highly publicized trial nowadays? The juries seem to always be letting the alleged killers/rapist/druggers off the hook.

As a side note, glad to see the Minnesota cops broke up the unnecessary, awful, dangerous shutting down of a major highway last night by arresting people, which dispersed the crowd finally. This act of taking to the highways is very dangerous and very f***ing stupid. Arrest them!

Edited by greg775

You guys really should listen to Howard Stern on youtube. He's had some great takes on the idiocy of juries (Cosby case, this case in Minnie, OJ). He says these morons on juries just can't convict. Some guy called in Howard to say he was a holdout on a jury recently. Some woman on the jury would not convict a child molester who tried to influence the jury by dressing impeccably in a great suit and looking so professional.

There was tape of the young innocent child saying what the guy did. The one juror would not convict because she didn't want to believe anybody could do that to a child. The juror (who phoned Stern) yelled at her and made the judge make her listen to the tape of the kid over and over. Everybody else wanted to give in and let the juror have her way, so they could finally go home to their families and end the annoying trial. But finally the man's efforts worked and the juror gave in to send the rat up the river. The Stern caller said the jurors had to agree to pray together for the woman to agree on a guilty verdict.

Howard has some non PC takes on the idiocy of juries and presumed guilt of people like Cosby, etc. Cosby's peeps were celebrating a fricking hung jury. Howard played audio and Cosby even did his Fat Albert yell upon leaving the courtroom. Howard said the jury wouldn't convict Cosby because again he was all dressed up for trial and the idiotic jury couldn't say Cliff Huxtable was guilty, even though Cosby has admitted giving some of the women pills for gawd sakes. What a creep!!!

Howard is available all over youtube on these issues. Stern rules!

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (KagakuOtoko @ Jun 22, 2017 -> 04:21 PM)
The cop that killed Philando Castile should have absolutely been charged.

Idiot jury.

Juries won't convict. Period.

The higher paid lawyers have such an advantage. They are excellent and they know how to beat a jury. Case closed.

• 2 months later...
QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Sep 15, 2017 -> 10:36 AM)
I know I shouldn't be surprised, but

Ex-cop Jason Stockley found not guilty in black man's death

Stockley murdered Smith with his personal AK and then planted a gun in his car. It was all caught on video. Still, not guilty.

My newsroom (in NYC) sent a team of 8 to STL.

We're expecting s*** to explode.

Dude was caught on camera screaming "we're going to kill this motherf***er" but hey, good shoot.

I'm sure all of the Good Cops involved in this scenario faithfully and truthfully reported the incident and actually tried to stop it before Smith was murdered, just like the good cops stood up to that thug who assaulted the nurse in Utah and the good cops who made sure Laquan McDonald's murderer was held accountable and didn't willingly participate in a cover-up.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Sep 15, 2017 -> 10:41 AM)
Dude was caught on camera screaming "we're going to kill this motherf***er" but hey, good shoot.

I'm sure all of the Good Cops involved in this scenario faithfully and truthfully reported the incident and actually tried to stop it before Smith was murdered, just like the good cops stood up to that thug who assaulted the nurse in Utah and the good cops who made sure Laquan McDonald's murderer was held accountable and didn't willingly participate in a cover-up.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Sep 15, 2017 -> 10:54 AM)
That's the go-to example of why ad hominem fallacies are bad, dude. Just because Hitler supported interstate systems doesn't say anything about interstate systems one way or the other. Just because two groups both have a more isolationist bent than the warmongers who love to bomb bomb bomb doesn't say anything beyond that one overlap.

I can't believe these two posts were made within minutes of each other.

Those weren't ad hominems, though. Call them hasty generalizations if you want, but in those specific examples anyway, the "good cops" at best stood by and let their fellow "bad cop" abuse power. It's not uncommon.

Any thoughts on yet another murdering cop getting acquitted?

Edited by StrangeSox

Don't really excuse the shooting, but that's a pretty unsympathetic victim there. You're running away from cops, causing damage and threatening the safety of the public (swerving into oncoming traffic, barely missing an oncoming car).

Was the cop alleging that Smith had a gun in the car? What's his excuse for firing? I feel like there's a puzzle piece missing here...