Police keep killing black people

Quin

This seems right to me, and I believe justice was served.

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

Sounds guilty on all other aggrevated battery for each shot too.

I hope the officers that lied see punishment as well.

6 minutes ago, pettie4sox said:

I'm legit shocked.

Between burge dying, a mostly white jury now convicting Van Dyke, and the consent decree, I am really hoping the seeds of real change are put in place.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Harry Chappas said:

Yes but all 16 counts are in essence one charge.  Also can only be sentenced for 2nd degree murder or aggravated assault.  He'll spend about 3 years in prison. 

My understanding is it’s 16 separate counts of aggravated battery, so he’s getting life+.

3 hours ago, Y2HH said:

My understanding is it’s 16 separate counts of aggravated battery, so he’s getting life+.

It's going to be a long road until this is all settled. I work as a career law clerk for one of the appellate court justices in Illinois (Cook County), and it will be at least 18 months until this is all settled. He likely won't even be sentenced for several months. It's also very possible his appeal comes before my boss.

The video is misleading and does not show what really happened his attorney said. To think the guy was off-duty and rushed over for some target practice. In mortal fear for his own life. 

On 10/6/2018 at 7:31 AM, Y2HH said:

I'm assuming that at least some of the sentences will be run concurrently. So maybe it's 3 years per charge, but they run at the same time, something like that. 

2 hours ago, StrangeSox said:

I'm assuming that at least some of the sentences will be run concurrently. So maybe it's 3 years per charge, but they run at the same time, something like that. 

If this is the case, what was the point of convicting him on 16 separate counts? This seems like some sort of insane loophole purposefully written into the law. I think 1 count of agg battery is like 4-40 years or something?

17 minutes ago, Y2HH said:

If this is the case, what was the point of convicting him on 16 separate counts? This seems like some sort of insane loophole purposefully written into the law. I think 1 count of agg battery is like 4-40 years or something?

I think it gives the judges discretion based on the case itself rather than having mandatory minimums etc. Each individual shot was an separate instance of aggravated battery, but should we treat this case the same as a person who committed 16 different acts of aggravated battery at different times and against different people? 

I imagine it also comes into play when someone is up for parole. Maybe they're serving all 16 sentences concurrently, but they're less likely to be let out early than someone serving the same time period for one conviction?

Think of non-violent crimes, like dealing drugs or kiting checks. You could be guilty of writing 20 bad checks, each with a sentence of 6 months in prison. Does it make sense to put that person in prison for 10 years? Or does it make more sense to put him in prison for a total of 6 months, but know that he's got this big black mark on his record that can factor in to repeat offenses, parole, etc.?

Someone who is actually a lawyer or who has criminal justice experience/background could probably provide a better answer than my guess-work though.