Police keep killing black people

Quin

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 16, 2017 -> 04:15 PM)
No one ever gets f***ing paid to protest.

No one ever???

You don't really believe that, do you? You do realize how this world works, right?

Some of the same people are at protests from Oregon to North Dakota to Baltimore and no one is getting paid?? I know people who went to North Dakota only after receiving financial incentives.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 16, 2017 -> 12:01 PM)
So protestors force St. Louis police to close down a mall today. Black Lives Matter signs galore at the protest in the mall.

If these protestors are trying to ruin a city, good job. Wonder if they'll hit the U2 concert tonight. Is it legal to head to a mall and march through it chanting and all that? Don't you need a permit? I'd arrest all the protestors if it's illegal. I mean protest is GREAT! Do it legally. Do it without harming businesses. Do it without inconveniencing people that want no part of it all.

Geez.

Ah, U2 canceled the concert. Good for them. Can't risk it. How is this good for the city of St. Louis? If these are paid protestors they obviously are trying to ruin a once great city.

p.s. I'll hand it to these protestors. They sure know where to go disrupt things: Expressways, libraries, now malls. Good job. That really will change things. All it does is piss people off. My gawd, how does invading a mall help your cause? Please, police, arrest anybody who is breaking the law in these situations.

Those damn blacks always causing a stir when their people get murdered. Why can't they just shut up and get over it. I want to be able to go to Hot Topic on my day off!

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Sep 16, 2017 -> 05:28 PM)
No one ever???

You don't really believe that, do you? You do realize how this world works, right?

Some of the same people are at protests from Oregon to North Dakota to Baltimore and no one is getting paid?? I know people who went to North Dakota only after receiving financial incentives.

I'm pretty active in the community. Why is no one offering me money to show up? Seems like there would be evidence all over the place if this was common.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Sep 16, 2017 -> 11:28 AM)
"Police were forced to detain a female protestor after she refused to follow their directions to clear an area , as wild protests became out of control"

Journalism is easy!

Police knocked over an older woman, trampled her, and then pepper sprayed the people who tried to assist her. Don't make excuses for these thugs.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Sep 16, 2017 -> 08:41 PM)
Those damn blacks always causing a stir when their people get murdered. Why can't they just shut up and get over it. I want to be able to go to Hot Topic on my day off!

"Why can't they protest peacefully?"

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Sep 17, 2017 -> 12:41 AM)

Unfair post. I said I was in favor of lawful protests. I'm watching live footage of protestors at 11 p.m. Saturday busting up a business district set of store windows. That's total bulls***. Storming into a mall in St. Louis? Canceling a U2 concert? This will be the demise of a great city. What businesses would come to St. Louis? What businesses wouldn't be trying so hard to leave right now and relocate somewhere else? To summarize, lawful protest: GOOD. Unlawful protect: It sucks; arrest them!!!

QUOTE (Quin @ Sep 17, 2017 -> 03:52 AM)
"Why can't they protest peacefully?"

Amen. Why can't we have peaceful protests??? Bust a window? Go to jail.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Sep 16, 2017 -> 07:46 PM)
I'm pretty active in the community. Why is no one offering me money to show up? Seems like there would be evidence all over the place if this was common.

I'll see if they want to spread their contact info. f***ing weirdos though

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Sep 16, 2017 -> 10:07 PM)
A woman protested, refused to leave the scene, then was detained.

Jesus. Did you see the video? This was an old ass woman. It wasn't one cop who knocked her over. A whole swarm of them did and then trampled her. If she was such a threat, you don't think one cop couldn't have just arrested her without all that other nonsense?

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Sep 16, 2017 -> 10:02 PM)
I'll see if they want to spread their contact info. f***ing weirdos though

I'm just a little surprised since I have a very strong base of friends who are extremely active in protests, some of them are also antifa. I myself have attended dozens of protests over the last few years. Not one of us has ever been handed a check or cash to go these protests.

I guess I'll defer to you though. I didn't realize you're pretty big into the protesting scene.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Sep 17, 2017 -> 08:44 AM)
I'm just a little surprised since I have a very strong base of friends who are extremely active in protests, some of them are also antifa. I myself have attended dozens of protests over the last few years. Not one of us has ever been handed a check or cash to go these protests.

I guess I'll defer to you though. I didn't realize you're pretty big into the protesting scene.

I can't believe this is actually a real post.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Sep 17, 2017 -> 10:23 AM)

What is wrong with it?

Where is the actual evidence that people are being paid to attend protests on a wide scale as is often alleged? Without any sort of backup, that claim is about as believable as Hickory Husker's claim that he knew multiple people who were heavily pressured into getting abortions by Planned Parenthood even though they weren't even pregnant.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Sep 16, 2017 -> 10:43 PM)
Police knocked over an older woman, trampled her, and then pepper sprayed the people who tried to assist her. Don't make excuses for these thugs.

I wasn't making excuses, they did appear to be a bit over aggressive. I was trying to make a point about journalism and easily situations can be construed to be more or less favorable.

I would like to see a video of the minutes preceding that though. Was that lady a random person that got caught in the mob? Or was she actually an intense protestor?

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Sep 17, 2017 -> 08:23 AM)

Pardon if I don't blindly accept an unsubstantiated, conspiratorial claim that it's common for protestor to get paid. I'm not easily convinced by greg-like second hand rumors that someone heard that protestors actually get paid to show up...and it's pretty common!

And some vague reference to North Dakota? Really? We're going to use this unique circumstance as evidence? Where people were literally living on the front lines for months in tents. The protest that had several gofundme campaigns where like-minded supporters from all over were personally contributing money to this cause so that the protestors had the resources to continue fighting, like supplies and access to people with special skills (medically trained, etc.).

And if I had a friend who told me they were paid to go to a protest, I'd be somewhat floored and ask a ton of follow up questions. Like really? Who paid you? Where did you meet them? Hire much did they pay you?

Might sound like I'm overreacting or getting hostile but these accusations are a slap to my face and to others who go out there and support injustices. To say that we do it for money and don't really care about these causes? Screw you.

Edited by BigSqwert

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Sep 17, 2017 -> 04:59 PM)
These accusations are a slap to my face and to others who go out there and support injustices. To say that we do it for money and don't really care about these causes? Screw you.

My complaint is with protestors who do illegal things. If you stop traffic on a highway (what about the people who need to get to the hospital and get stuck on the highway) or march into malls and libraries and break windows that protestor deserves to have jail on their record. I'm assuming a lot of these protests are not legal and the cops are doing people a favor the nights the cops aren't rounding up people and arresting them.

I am no expert on the paying of protestors. If it doesn't happen, great. I do have strong opinions on protestors breaking the law. Legal protest is awesome. I hate seeing mobs hit the streets and shut down highways and cause property destruction and looting.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Sep 17, 2017 -> 01:45 PM)
Well that's the thing. When peaceful protests don't change the illegal behavior, people shift tactics.

Well people shouldn't shift tactics to tactics that could end up putting them behind bars. All violence does is harm innocent people. Peaceful protests can get a message across. Dr. King was against violence and he remains the greatest of all time. What good are violent protests? If you end up in jail and get convicted of a crime in a protest, good luck finding a job someday.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Sep 17, 2017 -> 03:44 PM)
Haven't you also complained a bunch about the peaceful protest by NFL players during the national anthem?

I'm against the protests as far as "team." I think it's the wrong setting for one guy on a team to take a stand like that in a team sport. I think it is ill advised of the player who protests but I'm not against doing it because it's not illegal or unsafe. I doubt it would cause a riot or anything like that. I think I said it was pretty selfish of a QB to protest when he knows he's just turned all the attention on himself in a team sport.

I could be wrong on my take. Perhaps Colin's teammates a.) didn't mind at all. b.) didn't care that he was putting all the attention on himself. b.) were glad he had all the media attention so they could take a break from interviews. Remember how there was a theory (incorrect obviously) that Ozzie liked to make outlandish statements to take the heat off his players. Keep the media busy with his antics and let the players play.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Sep 17, 2017 -> 05:33 PM)
"protest peacefully!"

"no not like that"

"or that"

"just don't do anything that would ever disrupt or inconvenience anyone"

Peaceful protests don't inconvenience anyone, cept the people that get caught up in the traffic who didn't know 50,000 people would be showing up for a peaceful protest at a park or somewhere. How can anybody justify the illegal tactics of protestors. March on a highway? You are preventing people from getting to the hospital. March in a private neighborhood and bust windows? Are you gonna go back the next day and fix the windows?

It's easy. Obey the law and protest all you want. Follow the principles of Dr. King.

As far as in sports ... you can protest all you want. But remember you work for somebody else, an owner who might be upset. I know if I issued a personal protest at any job I've had, they'd find a way to get rid of me.

Here is Bono's statement quoting Dr. King after cancelling his show: "Human progress never rolls in on the wheels of inevitability...We are coming to ask America to be true to the huge promissory note that it signed years ago. And we are coming to engage in dramatic nonviolent action, to call attention to the gulf between promise and fulfillment; to make the invisible visible."

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 16, 2017 -> 11:14 PM)
Unfair post. I said I was in favor of lawful protests. I'm watching live footage of protestors at 11 p.m. Saturday busting up a business district set of store windows. That's total bulls***. Storming into a mall in St. Louis? Canceling a U2 concert? This will be the demise of a great city. What businesses would come to St. Louis? What businesses wouldn't be trying so hard to leave right now and relocate somewhere else? To summarize, lawful protest: GOOD. Unlawful protect: It sucks; arrest them!!!

Amen. Why can't we have peaceful protests??? Bust a window? Go to jail.

The organized protest was over at 10pm.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Sep 17, 2017 -> 07:23 PM)
The organized protest was over at 10pm.

Well, I watched live footage of the streets of St. Louis later than that. If it was an unlawful protest most of those people were lucky, cause the cops said just two were arrested Saturday. Kudos to the organized protest people; shame on the window breakers/looters.