Podcasts

Middle Buffalo

• 9 months later...

I was listening to Bill Simmons' podcast today (Ep. 362), and he had a girl on it talking about tv. She did the "up talk" thing where her inflection rises at the last word of every sentence. Man, that is nails on a chalkboard to me as a listener. I often wonder if broadcasters/podcasters ever listen back to their shows to critique themselves. Some have super annoying bit correctable verbal tics.

I used to like Simmons but he and The Ringer has become annoying. Too much snark and they aren't interesting enough for me to deal with it. I'll listen to his pod during the NFL season but he has become the stereotypical Monday QB is all sports.

He should take Tate Frazier off shows and keep him off mic because his analysis was awful during the NCAA tourney. Charles Barkley level.

I just discovered the Armchair Expert podcast hosted by Dax Shepard. Not only are Dax and Kristen Bell my favorite celeb couple, but I could listen to Dax talk all day. He's been getting some really solid A and B-list celebs to come on and talk and tell stories, but one aspect of the show I really like is that his co-host does a FACT-CHECK at the end of every episode. So when him and Ashton Kutcher make wild claims about whatever stuff, she jumps on at the end of the show to review all the things they got wrong or add info to their stories. It's pretty cool. 

His interview with Seth Green, man, Seth Green just seems like the most down to Earth and friendliest guy out there. And learning about Chris Hardwick's family bowling fame was really interesting. 

• 2 months later...

Jason Benetti is the guest on the latest Never Not Funny. I'm assuming it's the Sox's JB. I haven't listened yet.

Jimmy Pardo is the host. He's a comedian, Sox fan, and native southsider (from Hometown).

Jimmy, unfortunately, tends to stereotype southsiders as ignorant, but I really enjoy his podcast. Looking forward to this. Pretty surprised at the guest choice.

Mike Duncan's History of Rome and Revolutions podcasts are good if you like history stuff.

History of Rome starts out a bit rough on audio quality for the first 10 episodes or so before he got better equipment and figured out what he was doing, but the history stretches from the founding of Rome to the exile of Romulous Augustus in 476 AC.

Revolutions is his current podcast. He's got different "seasons" where he focuses on a different revolution, Starts with English Civil War, then American, French, Haiti etc.

• 2 weeks later...

I finally listened to slow burn. That was really good! (Oak Park grad too).

I found my knowledge about timeline and major events to be completely off, and I think they rightfully avoided too much WaPo introspection since that story is well known, but i'm not sure I full understand how if WaPo reporting didn't exist, if the government investigation itself would have ended with same result regardless.

• 3 months later...
6 hours ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

Conan just got a podcast recently. It's like 4 or 5 episodes deep, but it's good, I've always loved his sense of humor.

Conan O'Brien Needs a Friend is the title.

This is one that I'll be listening to selected guests. I listened to the Will Ferrell & Bill Burr episodes. I assume Conan will be going on other podcasts as well to publicize this. So, I'll do that search, too.

Edited by Middle Buffalo

2 hours ago, Middle Buffalo said:

This is one that I'll be listening to selected guests. I listened to the Will Ferrell & Bill Burr episodes. I assume Conan will be going on other podcasts as well to publicize this. So, I'll do that search, too.

Conan was on with Bill Simmons a few weeks ago talking about it.

3 hours ago, Middle Buffalo said:

He was on Dax Shepards'  "Armchair Expert" podcast, which I love, a month or two ago to promote this new show.

• 1 month later...

Added a few new podcasts:

This Past Weekend with Theo Von - Comedy podcast. I've only listened to the ones with guests so far. He's from Real World or Road Rules. I saw him di standup a few years ago, and his show was one of the funniest I've seen live. 

Mobituaries wirh Mo Rocca - I listened to the first about a JFK impersonator. Well done. It's new, but if the rest are like this, I'll keep listening.

McNeil and Parkins - The Bears success had me dip my toe back in the local Chicago radio scene. I've been downloading select portions of this show. I've always like Mac as a host (even though I'm pretty sure I wouldn't like him in person), and Parkins is a good cohost. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Middle Buffalo said:

This Past Weekend with Theo Von - Comedy podcast. I've only listened to the ones with guests so far. He's from Real World or Road Rules. I saw him di standup a few years ago, and his show was one of the funniest I've seen live. 

Mobituaries wirh Mo Rocca - I listened to the first about a JFK impersonator. Well done. It's new, but if the rest are like this, I'll keep listening.

McNeil and Parkins - The Bears success had me dip my toe back in the local Chicago radio scene. I've been downloading select portions of this show. I've always like Mac as a host (even though I'm pretty sure I wouldn't like him in person), and Parkins is a good cohost. 

Saw Theo in Chicago and LA. He’s one of the most authentically funny comics out right now. Hope he can keep his mental together I’ve been told he’s fighting some demons. 

1 hour ago, Middle Buffalo said:

I wouldn’t be able to get through it. Mo annoys me when he tries to hijack “Wait Wait” and I have grown to dislike him.

I like Conan depending on who he interviews. The Dana Carvey ep had good stories.

Edited by Brian

• 1 year later...

Listening to the Parkins and McNeil’s podcast review of The Last Dance, and McNeil is talking about how distasteful it is to see the way Pippen and Jordan treated Krause. While I agree, it’s funny to hear that take from McNeil. He’s one of the top few guys in Chicago radio I’d expect to act less than professional toward a boss he didn’t respect.

Of course, he criticizes players for lack of hustle, dedication, etc., and he’s not exactly Cal Ripken when it comes to consecutive work days.

Edited by Middle Buffalo

16 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

Anyone listen to the Joel McCale/ Ken Jueng podcast?  Thinking about checking it out.

I do because I have so much free time and can listen to stuff while working. Ken Jeung is really smart, obviously, since he is a former doctor. Has good dtuff about Covid. McHale can be funny but sounds like he's mailing it in sometimes. Maybe that's just his tone. Alison Brie was funny. She just goes off on clever improv rants.

My fav podcast right now is "Fake Doctors, Best Friends" as Zack Braff and Donald Faison talk Scrubs episodes.

Edited by Brian

• 7 months later...