MLB investigating Padres for hiding health info

southsider2k5

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 15, 2016 -> 03:44 PM)
I get that the Sox are ultimately responsible, but if a team is intentionally withholding information that is a pretty big deal. Was that actually being said of the Sox and Sirotka?

I believe Toronto accused us of knowing Sirotka was injured.

But anyway, I agree, you don't allow teams to purposely mislead. Unfair to player/league/fans.

QUOTE (bmags @ Sep 15, 2016 -> 04:07 PM)
I doubt there would be talent consessions but monetary seems possible, but unlikely. More likely - draft pick penalties vs pads and front office penalties.

If it is bad enough where guys are getting fired, you have to imagine that it is bad enough that some sort of reparations will be involved, even if it is to punish the Padres.

The funny thing about the Sox trade is EJ is the guy on the DL. If it was on purpose and they hid anything on the players hey traded, the other team should be compensated. Big difference IMO from it just happening, and actually hiding things on purpose. If MLB wants to force him out, the idiot owner of the Pads should beat them to the punch unless he was also involved.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 15, 2016 -> 04:18 PM)
The funny thing about the Sox trade is EJ is the guy on the DL. If it was on purpose and they hid anything on the players hey traded, the other team should be compensated. Big difference IMO from it just happening, and actually hiding things on purpose. If MLB wants to force him out, the idiot owner of the Pads should beat them to the punch unless he was also involved.

Hopefully we get compensated with extra cash or Tatis Jr back. They can keep Johnson.

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Sep 15, 2016 -> 02:50 PM)
Just a reminder that Boston was hot for Shields before the deadline. But Boston press said Red Sox decided against it after seeing his overall drop in velocity on his fastball by I think 2 -3 Mph. It was also noted at the time he was giving up a lot of fly balls and Boston felt he would not be effective in Fenway. So I think if Boston saw he was struggling and passed on him, we don't have much to complain about.

This is kind of funny when Boston actually got swindled with Pomeranz. So I guess they aren't all that much smarter

QUOTE (chw42 @ Sep 15, 2016 -> 04:42 PM)
If Shields has indeed been injured this whole time, then that might actually be good news for the Sox considering we have him for 2 more years. Maybe he's still got something left in him in case the injury isn't lingering or too serious.

Thats what I was thinking too. Off season is around the corner for him to just chill and get better.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Sep 15, 2016 -> 04:28 PM)
There is a standard database accessible to all teams where a team will enter all relevant medical information about a player. The receiving team's physical doesn't cover the medical history that was intentionally withheld by the Padres to deceive teams via trade. The Padres told their trainers (multiple) to withhold the treatments the players were going through to benefit them in trades. I don't know what treatment Shields received in SD, but the Sox are noted as the team who went to the MLB and complained about this.

The real difference in this case is what exactly was withheld from the White Sox and whether that information would have affected their course of action.

Is this in Rosenthal's report?

QUOTE (bmags @ Sep 15, 2016 -> 02:07 PM)
I doubt there would be talent consessions but monetary seems possible, but unlikely. More likely - draft pick penalties vs pads and front office penalties.

I absolutely think they could require that the Padres sent back certain players in the trade or even unwind the trade (if the other team involved wanted to). They could also force cash penalties to the teams involved and/or force Padres to exchange draft picks. The teams who were on the other side of the deal were directly impacted because information was allegedly withheld, which implies, the teams may not have made the same trades had they been provided with the appropriate information.