September 20th Game Thread: ChiSox at Phillies

InTheDriversSeat

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 20, 2016 -> 08:24 PM)
I was praying they unloaded him at the deadline. He has no chance of succeeding in the AL pitching at the Cell. Acquiring him after the Mariners debacle is one of the most idiotic decisions in Sox history and should have been final nail in Hahn's Sox coffin.

You didn't answer the question.

I wonder how, if at all, this miscalculation by Hahn may impact the "trust" factor between him and JR in the future.

Given the stories that JR had to be talked into this by Hahn you wonder now if this means Kenny assumes a bigger role again going forward...that maybe JR has doubts about Hahn's judgment.

Just speculation on my part but this did cross my mind tonight.

Mark

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Sep 20, 2016 -> 08:42 PM)
I seriously hope it's a physical issue. Back problem that heals with rest and he is good to go next year

If Shields was 24 or so, I'd say maybe....but he's 35. With ten years worth of over 200 innings pitched I believe.

He's done.

The Sox replaced a bad deal with Danks with another one with Shields. Simply amazing.

Mark

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ Sep 20, 2016 -> 09:57 PM)
I wonder how, if at all, this miscalculation by Hahn may impact the "trust" factor between him and JR in the future.

Given the stories that JR had to be talked into this by Hahn you wonder now if this means Kenny assumes a bigger role again going forward...that maybe JR has doubts about Hahn's judgment.

Just speculation on my part but this did cross my mind tonight.

Mark

That's the trouble with dumping Hahn (who, imo, should be dumped) - it's no better, and likely worse, with KW (who should have moved on years ago) back running the operation.

Maybe Shields was KW's idea.

The amateur scouting appears to have done a good job.

Edited by GreenSox

It's really hard to COUNT on James Shields being the same guy he was EVEN in the first half of 2016 as we look forward to the 2017 rotation...let alone the pitcher he was in 2013 or 2014 in KC, where he was already experiencing some struggles with diminished stuff, elevated pitch counts, etc. With that went some of his mental edge and the swagger of being "Big Game" James in Tampa.

You simply can't throw that many innings for that many consecutive years without payback. Ask Mark Buehrle.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Sep 20, 2016 -> 09:42 PM)
I seriously hope it's a physical issue. Back problem that heals with rest and he is good to go next year

With everything surrounding the trade, it really is the thing that makes the most sense. A back issue also explains how the guy can go from nearly flawless, to freaking horrible from start to start.