• Jim Thome
    • Dave Martinez
    • Mike Scioscia
    • Other

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 21, 2016 -> 08:56 PM)
I may be done with baseball if it's Buddy Bell. I think it'll be Renteria though.

My choices ...

a.) La Russa.

b.) Leyland.

c.) Whoever Maddon's bench coach is with the Cubs.

d.) Gene Lamont.

I'm assuming this is being sarcastic right? If not.....

Mark

The job is Konerko's if he wants it and lets Jerry know.

It has been a long sleep walk this year and that is not what fans want to see next season.

That is why I would go bold and hire AJ or Ozzie to wake these blokes up. AJ is underrated for his baseball IQ and his personality has been misconstrued by opponents who dislike his competitiveness. Ozzie has calmed down considerably and IMO would be welcomed back by most Sox fans.

Konerko might be another Ventura, a nice guy and former Sox star that cannot manage his way out of a paper bag.

QUOTE (miracleon35th @ Sep 22, 2016 -> 05:05 AM)
The job is Konerko's if he wants it and lets Jerry know.

It has been a long sleep walk this year and that is not what fans want to see next season.

That is why I would go bold and hire AJ or Ozzie to wake these blokes up. AJ is underrated for his baseball IQ and his personality has been misconstrued by opponents who dislike his competitiveness. Ozzie has calmed down considerably and IMO would be welcomed back by most Sox fans.

Konerko might be another Ventura, a nice guy and former Sox star that cannot manage his way out of a paper bag.

Ozzie would be great. Won't happen. We've had the PC, calm Robin. We're not going back. No reason to even though I'd love it. There's no reason to gamble on him again.

AJP would be a total disaster. Ridiculous idea. No experience. There's very little chance he'd succeed.

Former players with no experience managing are out. No way the Sox will go that route again. I'd say 75 percent Renteria. Maybe 10 percent Cooper. 15 percent open it up and take forever with a job search that ends with Alomar.

This is all moot if Buddy Bell wants it and tells JR he wants it. If he gets it I quit (probably). He can't manage. He's considered a genius by our higher ups, though, and thus is a danger. Could get it.

I want someone to light a fire under these lame asses. Isn't the old formula when going from a nice guy to go to a hard ass? I would want someone of course with baseball smarts and uses statistics, not just going with his "gut". Someone who commands respect and demands respect for the game, like Carlton Fisk would. Might be past his time. But I would like someone like him. Who that guy is? I have no idea. But I know it's not f***ing Thome, Rowand or Konerko though. Baseball would have to be removed from my life if that happened. It's already taken a toll since I knew this season was lost when they kept Ventura. This team man. Ugh.

I voted Dave Martinez, although it is very strange that he has interviewed for so many jobs, but never got them, despite always seeming to be a hot name in manager positions... According to wikipedia he interviewed for...

2010 - Toronto and Cleveland

2011 - White Sox

2012 - Astros,

2013 - Cubs and Nationals

2014 - Rays (after Longoria, Cobb, Zobrist all endorsed him)

He has been the Cubs bench coach since 2015.

http://blog.triblive.com/bucco-blog/2016/0.../#axzz4Kz5NB84q

They're going to need a pitching coach who can get his pitchers to be more effective up in the zone...which doesn't bode well for USCF pitching success.

"In some cases, the probability of a low outside strike being called has decreased by up to 12% (in 2016)."

Strike zone is roughly 40 square inches larger and has significantly moved upwards...over the last six years.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 21, 2016 -> 07:31 PM)
Rumor was that he didn't want to take over midseason. He didn't want to do that to Ventura.

That may be true but it seems ridiculous. They are adults. Why would they not have given Renteria a trial run with the same players to see how it went? If it's because he didn't want to hurt another adult's feelings then I'd like to move on to the next candidate.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Sep 22, 2016 -> 07:26 AM)
That may be true but it seems ridiculous. They are adults. Why would they not have given Renteria a trial run with the same players to see how it went? If it's because he didn't want to hurt another adult's feelings then I'd like to move on to the next candidate.

Again, supposedly it wasn't that the Sox didn't want to, it was that Renteria wouldn't do it.

QUOTE (bjm676 @ Sep 22, 2016 -> 09:45 AM)
Please no Konerko. I don't want to end up hating him, like we all hate our current manager.

Just be prepared to be disappointed, whoever it is. It's the White Sox way.

I was happy with the Manuel hire (at the time).

I was happy with the Ozzie hire (at the time)

The Ventura hire was the beginning of the end for my trust in KW. KW hired his friend to replace Ozzie. The problem was, his friend had ZERO coaching experience at any level. At least the Ozzie and Manuel hires were justified via coming from World Series championship teams- both being that of the Marlins. If winning is a priority, they NEED to explore all avenues this time around including that of winning organizations. Dave Martinez and Sandy Alomar need to be atop that list. If they hire PK or AJ-- im officially done being a White Sox fan.