• Jim Thome
    • Dave Martinez
    • Mike Scioscia
    • Other

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Sep 22, 2016 -> 10:46 AM)
I would agree with you but he was kind of pushed out by the cub so I see his point with the White Sox and don't think it should reflect on him as much.

I just think that it would have most benefitted the club to see him manage the 2nd half of the year if he's honestly a candidate. If he didn't want that chance, that's enough for me to move on to someone else. I'm sure he's a great guy, but he wouldn't be managing my baseball team.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Sep 22, 2016 -> 10:55 AM)
I just think that it would have most benefitted the club to see him manage the 2nd half of the year if he's honestly a candidate. If he didn't want that chance, that's enough for me to move on to someone else. I'm sure he's a great guy, but he wouldn't be managing my baseball team.

So you would not hire somebody who's managed before and has already been with the team for the full year as essentially the "assistant manager" simply because he respected Robin enough to not take his job during the middle of the season? That's a pretty ridiculous reason. They know what they have in him. Managing a handful of games this year in garbage time is not going to change their opinion of him.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Sep 22, 2016 -> 10:46 AM)
I would agree with you but he was kind of pushed out by the cub so I see his point with the White Sox and don't think it should reflect on him as much.

Being a bench coach you are essentially getting a preview of what the guy could do as a manager. You have got to see his work ethic, how he relates to the players, his baseball IQ, and how he manages personnel. The White Sox know if they want him or not, and I doubt that managing this team for two or three months would have really changed their opinion of him too much, from what he has already shown them.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Sep 22, 2016 -> 11:11 AM)
So you would not hire somebody who's managed before and has already been with the team for the full year as essentially the "assistant manager" simply because he respected Robin enough to not take his job during the middle of the season? That's a pretty ridiculous reason. They know what they have in him. Managing a handful of games this year in garbage time is not going to change their opinion of him.

I think the idea is that he wouldn't miss out on his second choice, just because of his first choices timeline.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Sep 22, 2016 -> 02:11 PM)
Whatever the reason, if they choose Rick Renteria to manage next season, it's ridiculous that he wasn't managing at some point this season when it was clear that Ventura was in his final season. I know it's probably Rick's choice. That's a disservice to the organization though.

It would be my guess that he made that clear up front. I know that was a reason that other candidates passed up the bench manager position.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 21, 2016 -> 09:56 PM)
I may be done with baseball if it's Buddy Bell. I think it'll be Renteria though.

My choices ...

a.) La Russa.

I don't want an ignorant racist managing my favorite team

Edited by Joshua Strong

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Sep 23, 2016 -> 01:50 AM)
I want Guillen and Cora back

Awesome. I love Ozzie but even I admit it'd be a huge mistake to bring him back. He hasn't been doing anything really since the Marlins fired him. There's just no reason to go back to Ozzie. It's a big big world out there and there are many qualified individuals to manage/lead. There's a great chance Ozzie would get upset in April getting used to habits of his new players and probably lose the clubhouse very early. He doesn't know these guys and there is a very good chance it'd be an unmitigated disaster.

That said, I reiterate I love Ozzie and OZZIE FOREVER!

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 22, 2016 -> 09:35 PM)
Awesome. I love Ozzie but even I admit it'd be a huge mistake to bring him back. He hasn't been doing anything really since the Marlins fired him. There's just no reason to go back to Ozzie. It's a big big world out there and there are many qualified individuals to manage/lead. There's a great chance Ozzie would get upset in April getting used to habits of his new players and probably lose the clubhouse very early. He doesn't know these guys and there is a very good chance it'd be an unmitigated disaster.

That said, I reit

While I can understand fans wanting Ozzy , He was just lucky and never showed any real manager skills. I'd like to see Konerko, thome but the person with real baseball instinct is AJ. Aj jas my vote even though I couldn't vote. AJ ,ade it possible once he can do it again.

This decision on the next manager for the White Sox is a big one. They really need to make a statement this time around. This team has sunk to a fairly significant level of irrelevance as evidenced by attendance and TV ratings, not to mention on the national scene, that management needs to seriously address. No more warm & fuzzy former White Sox personnel. That ain't gonna cut it this time around. They need to go out and bring someone in who will represent and convey a completely new brand of White Sox baseball that we haven't seen in a while. It needs to be on the level of the Indians bringing in Francona, the Cubs bringing in Maddon, etc. Is Bud Black that guy? Maybe. He seems to fit that profile that I'm talking about. It should be someone with prior managerial experience, too. Sorry, but given where the team is at the moment, I don't think the timing is right to provide an on-the-job learning experience for guys like Alomar or Martinez. I just don't.

Edited by Thad Bosley

QUOTE (Hatchetman @ Sep 23, 2016 -> 07:56 AM)
C'mon man. you know JR does not hire experienced managers. They may have ideas of their own. That is not going to happen.

Lol - I just weighed in on what I think they should do and what I think a competent front office might be thinking of doing. What the mighty JR ends up doing, well, will likely be consistent with what we've seen in the past, which will probably be unfortunate. But hey, he has such a magnificent track record of success doing things his way, so who am I to argue!!

I would be pretty disappointed if it is Rick Renteria or some other old retread (Gardenhire, Washington, etc.).

I am not against the Sox going away from hiring old players with no management experience, but its hard not to like the idea of AJ. I think he will be a great manager some day. He'd certainly spice things up.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Sep 23, 2016 -> 09:41 AM)
I would be pretty disappointed if it is Rick Renteria or some other old retread (Gardenhire, Washington, etc.).

I am not against the Sox going away from hiring old players with no management experience, but its hard not to like the idea of AJ. I think he will be a great manager some day. He'd certainly spice things up.

Would you be willing to hire another former Sox player that doesn't have any managerial experience whatsoever? I love A.J., but making him the manager would feel like Robin Ventura 2.0 to me. I don't see him being any better than Robin if he were to manage the team next year.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Sep 23, 2016 -> 09:48 AM)
Would you be willing to hire another former Sox player that doesn't have any managerial experience whatsoever? I love A.J., but making him the manager would feel like Robin Ventura 2.0 to me. I don't see him being any better than Robin if he were to manage the team next year.

If it's AJ, yah.

I like Robin, seems like a top notch guy - but the dude was coaching HS baseball and had to be talked into the job. He is a dud personality wise. He has no fire.

AJ would be fantastic. Having been a catcher, he's been a game manager for the past 18+ years in the big leagues. He has that fire that I think the Sox badly need. Wouldn't be scared to shake things up, or a put a player back in his place. I think the guys would play hard for AJ. Would there be some bumps? Probably, but I'd rather watch that than some old hag who will be out the door again in a year or two. THat said, I realize AJ is a complete long shot, and will respect the Sox decision if they go outside the organization.

I really liked the Gabe Kepler suggestion earlier in this thread.

QUOTE (knightni @ Sep 23, 2016 -> 10:35 AM)
You'd rather have AJ Pierzynski - with zero managerial experience - over a proven manager like Ron Washington?

I would.

I realize I may be in the minority, but I am just not into old tired managers. Ron Washington is 65 years old. This would most likely be his final job. I just don't see it as a good long term decision.

Give me someone with some fire.