September 25th Game Thread: ChiSox at Indians

InTheDriversSeat

QUOTE (flavum @ Sep 25, 2016 -> 01:06 PM)
It would be so White Sox if they come home and go 7-0 for 81-81.

Leave 'em thinking you're close to competing.

White Sox going 7-0 ? Nah that is really un-Sox like . They can't even win 4 in a row and when they do win 3 in a row they usually followed it up with a losing streak.

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 25, 2016 -> 01:57 PM)
Hawk strongly implying Sox will be buyers this offseason.

Hawk in today's Sun-Times:

“I grew up in a different culture than these kids [players] — we took it home with us,’’ Harrelson said. “I’ve never been able to drop that. I’m not saying losing is easier for me – but to only see half as much of it because I’m doing only half the games … ’’

“What a bummer, to start 23-10 and have a six game lead on these guys,’’ Harrelson said.

“If we get beat 2-0 and Corey Kluber sticks it to us that don’t bother me,’’ he said. “But when we play the way we played and continually make those mistakes there isn’t anybody after that game is over is more [ticked] off than I am. Nobody. And at my age … ’’

"They've got to start with the bullpen,’’ he said. “It’s no longer where your starters are going to take you, it’s where your bullpen is going to take you. You have to put Robin [Ventura] or whoever is going to manage this club in a position where he can manage a five- or six-inning game. If you can’t, you’re at a big disadvantage. If you can cover the last nine outs you will play meaningful games in September.’’

Also spoke with Jeff Torborg for about an hour this morning.He was close to both Ozzie and Robin as you know and he seemed to feel the biggest issue with the Sox right now going forward is also the bullpen (like Hawk)

He said he's watched Robertson pitch a lot even when he was with the Yankees and while his stats are fine he doesn't think he's really a closer. More of an 8th inning guy. He said he doesn't have the type of fastball that allows him mistakes... very straight. Unless his slider or cutter is working that day, Jeff said he's in trouble and is very hittable.

He also said the same thing about Nate Jones, throws very hard but his pitch doesn't break as much as say Bobby Thigpen's did (and Jeff said they always harped on Bobby that he needs to show a breaking pitch first before going to the fastball to plant the seed in the mind of a hitter.)

He also said that he feels that it's Don Cooper who is managing the Sox bullpen and its use. He said when Ozzie was the manager Cooper was in control of the pen and that "Ozzie never even looked at his lineup card, so that showed me he wasn't really involved in that area."

He said though that the manager still has the final decision but he wouldn't be surprised if Cooper is still really running that area for Robin.

Interesting that now I've seen quotes from Hawk and Kenny and heard Jeff say the biggest issue is the bullpen.

Mark

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Sep 25, 2016 -> 01:23 PM)
I know I keep asking the same question, but why isn't Coats getting Sept at bats so the Sox can at least get some feeling about what he has?

I would think Rick Hahn has a pretty good read on Avi at this point.

If you think about it, that question is being answered by his playing time.

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 25, 2016 -> 02:57 PM)
Hawk strongly implying Sox will be buyers this offseason.

It was one of the last things he talked about before signing off for the year. He referenced some recent conversations with Reinsdorf where apparently the owner was very clear that he really, really, REALLY wants to win next year. From there he and Stone agreed that this upcoming free agent class was too weak to really provide the quantity and quality of upgrades this team will need if the team has any chance of achieving the owner's desires for next season.

Stone then said improvement would need to come via trades, but was optimistic that trades which were discussed at the trade deadline would probably get revisited, but in the sense that the Sox could end up getting certain players they could have never gotten in mid season by teams in the middle of a pennant race.

So what does that all mean? Well, the owner seems like he may in fact be going for it, but without the services of one Chris Sale, because he was the one Stone was undoubtedly talking about when referencing the trade deadline rumored trades. Question becomes, can the team compete with the haul received from a Sale trade and some select pickups in free agency? Based on Hawk's comments today, it looks like we might just find out!

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ Sep 25, 2016 -> 03:50 PM)
Hawk in today's Sun-Times:

"I grew up in a different culture than these kids [players] — we took it home with us,'' Harrelson said. "I've never been able to drop that. I'm not saying losing is easier for me – but to only see half as much of it because I'm doing only half the games … ''

"What a bummer, to start 23-10 and have a six game lead on these guys,'' Harrelson said.

"If we get beat 2-0 and Corey Kluber sticks it to us that don't bother me,'' he said. "But when we play the way we played and continually make those mistakes there isn't anybody after that game is over is more [ticked] off than I am. Nobody. And at my age … ''

"They've got to start with the bullpen,'' he said. "It's no longer where your starters are going to take you, it's where your bullpen is going to take you. You have to put Robin [Ventura] or whoever is going to manage this club in a position where he can manage a five- or six-inning game. If you can't, you're at a big disadvantage. If you can cover the last nine outs you will play meaningful games in September.''

Also spoke with Jeff Torborg for about an hour this morning.He was close to both Ozzie and Robin as you know and he seemed to feel the biggest issue with the Sox right now going forward is also the bullpen (like Hawk)

He said he's watched Robertson pitch a lot even when he was with the Yankees and while his stats are fine he doesn't think he's really a closer. More of an 8th inning guy. He said he doesn't have the type of fastball that allows him mistakes... very straight. Unless his slider or cutter is working that day, Jeff said he's in trouble and is very hittable.

He also said the same thing about Nate Jones, throws very hard but his pitch doesn't break as much as say Bobby Thigpen's did (and Jeff said they always harped on Bobby that he needs to show a breaking pitch first before going to the fastball to plant the seed in the mind of a hitter.)

He also said that he feels that it's Don Cooper who is managing the Sox bullpen and its use. He said when Ozzie was the manager Cooper was in control of the pen and that "Ozzie never even looked at his lineup card, so that showed me he wasn't really involved in that area."

He said though that the manager still has the final decision but he wouldn't be surprised if Cooper is still really running that area for Robin.

Interesting that now I've seen quotes from Hawk and Kenny and heard Jeff say the biggest issue is the bullpen.

Mark

Isn't this common knowledge? I have always thought this.

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Sep 25, 2016 -> 05:00 PM)
It was one of the last things he talked about before signing off for the year. He referenced some recent conversations with Reinsdorf where apparently the owner was very clear that he really, really, REALLY wants to win next year. From there he and Stone agreed that this upcoming free agent class was too weak to really provide the quantity and quality of upgrades this team will need if the team has any chance of achieving the owner's desires for next season.

Stone then said improvement would need to come via trades, but was optimistic that trades which were discussed at the trade deadline would probably get revisited, but in the sense that the Sox could end up getting certain players they could have never gotten in mid season by teams in the middle of a pennant race.

So what does that all mean? Well, the owner seems like he may in fact be going for it, but without the services of one Chris Sale, because he was the one Stone was undoubtedly talking about when referencing the trade deadline rumored trades. Question becomes, can the team compete with the haul received from a Sale trade and some select pickups in free agency? Based on Hawk's comments today, it looks like we might just find out!

No. The thing with Sale is he wins and the team wins behind him. It's a bad idea to trade one of your best contracts because no team will make a too good to be true offer.

QUOTE (flavum @ Sep 25, 2016 -> 08:06 PM)

With all due respect, that ain't going to happen. I'd say 2-5, maybe 3-4.

QUOTE (flavum @ Sep 25, 2016 -> 03:06 PM)

I think that's what this entire "play the starters basically every game in September" farce has been about. Fluffed up record plus injuries excuse = another chance for great team builders Williams and Hahn.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Sep 26, 2016 -> 07:59 AM)
I think that's what this entire "play the starters basically every game in September" farce has been about. Fluffed up record plus injuries excuse = another chance for great team builders Williams and Hahn.

Since when is Leury Garcia a starter?