9/27 game thread

southsider2k5

That and the fact that Morneau is just as likely to put up a 700 OPS as an 800 at this point in his career.

You really need to be at 775-825 to be a plus for your team at the DH position...unless he could play 1B 4-5 times per week at a higher level defensively than Abreu, you're only going to get a 10-15% improvement on Avisail Garcia's potential production.

That's a certain recipe for another .500ish team. If the primary goal is to save money/increase profitability, sure, makes sense I guess.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Sep 28, 2016 -> 03:10 AM)
That and the fact that Morneau is just as likely to put up a 700 OPS as an 800 at this point in his career.

You really need to be at 775-825 to be a plus for your team at the DH position...unless he could play 1B 4-5 times per week at a higher level defensively than Abreu, you're only going to get a 10-15% improvement on Avisail Garcia's potential production.

That's a certain recipe for another .500ish team. If the primary goal is to save money/increase profitability, sure, makes sense I guess.

Morneau won't be subbing at 1B fircAbreu more than a couple games a week.chose can benefit from the rest but will play the field

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Sep 27, 2016 -> 08:17 PM)
I am confused. It is not uncommon for our top guys Sale, Quintana and Rodon to have a shaky inning. It's not a reason to panic . If he or the others are going to lead us into the post season next year than they have to pitch even more innings than where they are right now

The whole meaningless label is something only created by fans. How many athletes want to sit out because games are "meaningless"? So who that also translates to teams like the Cubs where HFA is locked.

It's another symptom of the Strasburg syndrome. It can't die soon enough.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Sep 27, 2016 -> 09:10 PM)
You really need to be at 775-825 to be a plus for your team at the DH position...

I can't disagree with this very much. That said, this is an organization that has failed to find a decent DH, which has been a key weakness in this team over the past decade or so. Seriously, go back and look at the actual numbers put up @ this position since Thome left. You just might puke.

On the other hand, I don't immediately see a better alternative to Morneau that the Sox have a realistic chance to sign.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 27, 2016 -> 09:53 PM)
Has this horrid season been worth the pain just because of the emergence of Anderson? He's still hovering around .280 which is nice.

His .280-ish ba means next to nothing when you see his anemic OBP. He's just as allergic to walks as the next Sox batter. What's worse is that this org clings to the antiquated idea of having speedy guys stop the lineup, whether they can get on base or not.

I get it, though. As fans, we're all stoked that Anderson hasn't completely crapped his pants, as is standard for most Sox MiLB products. But if he's going to be a useful player, he's got to get the OBP above .320 or so.