Ryder Cup 2016

clyons

I'm questioning the wisdom of pairing Westwood (aging player not on the top of his game) with Pieters (good young player but his first experience at the Ryder Cup). Why no put Pieters with someone like Rory and give yourself a chance in 2 matches v. basically throwing up the white flag in the match against Johnson/Kuchar?

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Sep 30, 2016 -> 11:11 AM)
I'm questioning the wisdom of pairing Westwood (aging player not on the top of his game) with Pieters (good young player but his first experience at the Ryder Cup). Why no put Pieters with someone like Rory and give yourself a chance in 2 matches v. basically throwing up the white flag in the match against Johnson/Kuchar?

I'm more questioning the wisdom of selecting Westwood as a captain's pick instead of someone like Russell Knox. Experience is great and all, but you still have to be good at golf. Westwood is not the same player anymore, but he is buddy buddy with Darren Clarke.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Sep 30, 2016 -> 11:39 AM)
I'm more questioning the wisdom of selecting Westwood as a captain's pick instead of someone like Russell Knox. Experience is great and all, but you still have to be good at golf. Westwood is not the same player anymore, but he is buddy buddy with Darren Clarke.

Maybe Westwood brings in an audience? I dunno, same sort of pick as Fowler. Fowler was not deserving but he's in because everyone likes him and he's got a big following with young fans. Bubba was more deserving.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Sep 30, 2016 -> 11:11 AM)

Good call, Pieters/Rory together in the afternoon vs. DJ/Kuchar

Speith/Reed vs. Rose/Stenson

Holmes/Moore vs. Garcia/Cabrera

Sneds/Brooks vs. Kaymer/Willett

What a Ryder Cup!

Critical matches today were obviously Reed and Fowler. Mickelson battling Garcia to a tie was a huge match as well.

I didn't like our chances in the first 6 matches today, but we managed to hold them off and let the American depth kick ass in the second half of the day.

This is clearly the most fun event in golf, and I'd argue one of the better events in sports.

It's going to fun to relish this victory for 2 years.