Renteria to Replace Ventura

Heads22

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Oct 1, 2016 -> 06:38 PM)
Well Don Cooper will be staying. I wonder if a new hitting coach will be hired and if there will be staff changes.

Well, I guess Renteria is better than Ventura out there and I would hope they'd hire some new coaches. I guess it's fine that Cooper stays. And I guess Sox fans will get what they want.

Not a shocker, but the roller coaster ride this week for the fanbase was completely unnecessary.

They could have had a Robin Ventura Appreciation Day scheduled this weekend instead of the farce that ensued...which was so insulting to knowledgeable fans that even the casual ones saw right through it.

JR obviously cares more about the perception of loyalty to valued employees than what fans think, and that's why the relationship has gradually been fraying the last five years after the honeymoon period of 2005-06 wore off.

Hopefully this works out, but we'll see. I think they're just going to go for it again and hope 2005 happens again.

And just remember- if the Sox go 77-85 next year, it doesn't mean Ventura deserved to stay. He wasn't a good manager, and will never even interview for a manager's job again, so turn the page on his five years and move forward.

I think Robin was a perfectly fine manager, but I'm not sure they could manage the PR aspect of keeping him around. Sometimes it's worth making a change just so that you've changed something. Who knows, maybe Renteria is a superb manager.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 1, 2016 -> 06:09 PM)
Renteria has been praised for his work with young players. Bringing Robin back and taking a step back is only going to make the people who think managers are worth 15 wins a season more frothy at the mouth. Another sign of a rebuild.

Given the half assed approach in attempting to contend by the front office we can't afford to give up even 1 win because of a poor manager.

Edited by soxforlife05

QUOTE (flavum @ Oct 1, 2016 -> 07:20 PM)
That would be great. Buddy Bell too, please.

I would like a full cleaning of the house...but they arent putting Rick Hahn out there only for him to get fired later...he's staying

Clearly, every really good manager can mean a difference of 2-3 games per season, and bad ones 2-3 additional losses.

Let's just hope we finally see consistent refinement in some of the fundamentals, especially from the non-veteran players like Anderson, Tilson and Saladino (scary to say rebuilding without a young core of position talent beyond that, and hopefully Collins in late 2017).

QUOTE (Baron @ Oct 1, 2016 -> 07:21 PM)
I would like a full cleaning of the house...but they arent putting Rick Hahn out there only for him to get fired later...he's staying

I would have loved a full cleaning of the house too, including Don Cooper. I don't care what he's done with pitchers, it doesn't hurt to do a full fall cleaning once in awhile. Plus some jackass told me "I didn't know baseball" since I thought it would be a good idea to let everyone go, including Cooper.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 1, 2016 -> 07:27 PM)
Clearly, every really good manager can mean a difference of 2-3 games per season, and bad ones 2-3 additional losses.

Let's just hope we finally see consistent refinement in some of the fundamentals, especially from the non-veteran players like Anderson, Tilson and Saladino (scary to say rebuilding without a young core of position talent beyond that, and hopefully Collins in late 2017).

Do we think they'll do a sell off or they'll retool? I hope they trade some pitching to get some young bats.