Renteria to Replace Ventura

Heads22

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Renteria exceeds as a manager in two areas that the Sox as a manager need to improve in: player development and fundamentals. In terms of player development, Renteria made Anthony Rizzo the player that he is today. There was serious talk before he took over the Cubs that Anthony Rizzo was nothing more than a platoon player, he couldn't hit lefties and his defense wasn't what it is today. Renteria made Rizzo his personal project and elevated his play. The prospect of Renteris working with the Sox younger players in a bigger role is something to keep an eye on.

Maybe Renteris could bring some of that Cubs Plan over to the Southside.

Am I mad that Sox didn't go through a proper search, yeah I am. Even if Renteris was always going to be the guy, they should have interviewed some people to get some more info. Regardless of a proper search or not, Renteria is one of the best candidates out there. And I can't wait to see who he brings in.

QUOTE (Scoots @ Oct 2, 2016 -> 09:43 AM)
From a CSN Chicago article: http://www.csnchicago.com/chicago-white-so...il-after-season

Todd Frazier: "I love Robin, love him to death. He's a good manager, for sure."

James Shields: "He's one of the better managers I've been around, and I've been around some really good ones...Robin is a good man, a good manager. He's really good with the players, and if he does step down, he's going to be sadly missed for sure."

This coming from 2 players who have been in the league for a long time.

Robin isn't horrible like most people think he is. Sure, he has made some poor decisions. Who doesn't? No manager is perfect, plus what do you expect from a guy who has never managed in the past? I think one of the most important qualities of a manager (after his ability to actually manage games) is his likeability among players. A manager who isn't likeable creates tension and ruins chemisty in the clubhouse. Robin is the exact opposite of that. He brings players together and keeps a good atmosphere. He isn't as bad as people think. Everyone who knows the man respects him. I haven't heard one gripe about him, ever, EXCEPT from the one group of people who have never had even one conversation with the man...the fanbase.

He's far too passive for management. Look at the absurd stuff that has happened out of that club house - no competent manager would have allowed for such sideshows. That's just one gripe. It's beyond time for him to go and it's also beyond time that KW goes with him.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Oct 2, 2016 -> 11:20 AM)
He's far too passive for management. Look at the absurd stuff that has happened out of that club house - no competent manager would have allowed for such sideshows. That's just one gripe. It's beyond time for him to go and it's also beyond time that KW goes with him.

Agreed. Too many distractions going on. It's time to get a manager who can step in and take charge of this clubhouse. Get Kenny out so Hahn can do his rebuild and see what he's truly about.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Oct 2, 2016 -> 01:20 PM)

I do agree that he should have more control of the players' actions in that clubhouse, and I probably came off like I support him being a manager in that clubhouse. I in all honesty think there needs to be changes, like everyone else, and I do think Robin needs to go, but I don't think he is a horrible ignoramus like most people think he is.

Changing Robin was an absolute must. Don't know how it will work out replacing him with another 'in-house' Sox staffer but at least he actually managed at the major league level before. First time the Sox will have hired someone like that since 1989.

Mark

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Oct 2, 2016 -> 02:28 PM)
I really don't understand the view that Renteria is an in-house or organizational hire, he's been here for just a few months. He's not at all like the usual Sox manager hire.

Exactly, and it was pretty obvious (at least IMO) that when they brought Renteria on as bench coach, the front office knew he was a strong possibility to be the next manager of the White Sox. He's an outside hire as far as I'm concerned.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Oct 2, 2016 -> 02:28 PM)
I really don't understand the view that Renteria is an in-house or organizational hire, he's been here for just a few months. He's not at all like the usual Sox manager hire.

It still bothers me that they're unwilling to go outside and even listen. The Braves just set interviews with like 4 guys, including all their assistant coaches and their interim coach. How do you know 100% certainty that you won't hear a guy come in with a perspective you haven't thought of before?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 2, 2016 -> 04:49 PM)
It still bothers me that they're unwilling to go outside and even listen. The Braves just set interviews with like 4 guys, including all their assistant coaches and their interim coach. How do you know 100% certainty that you won't hear a guy come in with a perspective you haven't thought of before?

I am good with Renteria but your post is right on .

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 2, 2016 -> 05:49 PM)

I would also add that they should have waited a short time to see if a surprise candidate surfaced. The Cubs didn't know Maddon would be dropped into their laps. By waiting a week or so they may have found 1 or 2 other people. But, hopefully this is step one in an off-season that will regain some credibility to an organization that is in a really down period.

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Oct 2, 2016 -> 08:51 PM)
I would also add that they should have waited a short time to see if a surprise candidate surfaced. The Cubs didn't know Maddon would be dropped into their laps. By waiting a week or so they may have found 1 or 2 other people. But, hopefully this is step one in an off-season that will regain some credibility to an organization that is in a really down period.

Maddon also went after the Cub job when he had that window of time to make himself a FA. He wanted the Cub job. I doubt if there is another manager out there of his caliber who would want to get the White Sox job.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Oct 3, 2016 -> 07:40 AM)
Maddon also went after the Cub job when he had that window of time to make himself a FA. He wanted the Cub job. I doubt if there is another manager out there of his caliber who would want to get the White Sox job.

Might not but situations change. Suppose Yankees decide to let Girardi go??

It's pretty ridiculous that they didnt even interview a single other candidate. It just makes the whole Ventura leak thing even more awkward. This has obviously been the plan for awhile, so why even bother with that dumb ass charade?

QUOTE (Dunt @ Oct 3, 2016 -> 07:53 AM)
It's pretty ridiculous that they didnt even interview a single other candidate. It just makes the whole Ventura leak thing even more awkward. This has obviously been the plan for awhile, so why even bother with that dumb ass charade?

Yeah doesn't really make any sense. They could have just had a press conference today announcing that Renteria is taking over and Robin and the club decided to part ways as opposed to the whole "sure, we'll take Robin back if he wants to come back" game.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Oct 3, 2016 -> 08:18 AM)
Yeah doesn't really make any sense. They could have just had a press conference today announcing that Renteria is taking over and Robin and the club decided to part ways as opposed to the whole "sure, we'll take Robin back if he wants to come back" game.

Seriously, how does one organization defy logic so often?

QUOTE (Dunt @ Oct 3, 2016 -> 07:53 AM)

It honestly doesn't make sense that the White Sox were the one who planted the story.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 3, 2016 -> 09:29 AM)
The most interesting part of the release...

JJ Stankevitz ‏@JJStankevitz 24m24 minutes ago

At the bottom of the White Sox press release: "An announcement regarding Chicago’ 2017 coaching staff will be made at a future date."

0 retweets 1 like

Well they have 1 spot to fill, could be more than that but you have at least bench coach to fill.