Renteria to Replace Ventura

Heads22

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 2, 2016 -> 01:34 AM)
Renteria being the bench coach had a say in most of the decisions some call Robin a fool for making. If you really don't think Robin had clue, you should probably not like this hire.

Would have preferred someone outside the organization, but just happy Robin is gone. Needed to happen for the fan base

QUOTE (fathom @ Oct 1, 2016 -> 07:35 PM)
Would have preferred someone outside the organization, but just happy Robin is gone. Needed to happen for the fan base

No doubt, fans are going to be happy about this, but I want the Sox to make moves based on being sound baseball decisions, not just making fans feel good.

QUOTE (flavum @ Oct 1, 2016 -> 07:39 PM)
No doubt, fans are going to be happy about this, but I want the Sox to make moves based on being sound baseball decisions, not just making fans feel good.

The good news is that the fans seem to be closer to sound baseball decisions than the front office these days...

QUOTE (flavum @ Oct 1, 2016 -> 07:10 PM)
I want to be the first one to say that we're not calling him "Ricky". He can let that stay with the Cubs and their homer reporters.

I already corrected a friend of mine who said "I told you they were going to hire Ricky." It's Rick - let's not be homer Cubs reporters.

Assuming true:

The bad parts:

1. They're still absolutely unwilling/terrified of conducting an actual search. They haven't actually talked to someone and had competition since Cito Gaston and Ozzie Guillen were their last 2 candidates.

2. I can't shake the feeling that he gets the job with no interview or competition because he proved himself a yes-man, he proved that he would stay in line and not make waves during the season when he wouldn't take over the job if offered.

The hopeful parts:

1. He was not in this organization a year ago. While he may have picked up some of the taint from this year, he is not entirely a White Sox lifetime servant.

2. Other organizations have found him to be capable and professional enough to hire.

3. Even if he's become an organizational guy, he is by definition a different person and even changes within an organization can make a difference.

Pros of this.

1. Knows the organization and the team (at least the ones who will be staying).

2. Very well respected in MLB, never have heard a bad thing said about him.

3. Actually did a nice job with the Cubs in 2014 and would probably still be there if Joe Maddon doesn't opt out of his Tampa deal.

4. Seems to hint towards a rebuild IMO (also if you are for the rebuild which I am)

5. Works well with young players.

Cons of this.

1. Don't like that they didn't attempt an actual interview search.

2. Seems like a "convenient hire".

3. If you ask some Cubs fans, he wasn't the greatest in game manager. Also wasn't Cubs #1 choice in 2014, Girardi was but he turned them down. He was more of a Plan B or C option.

4. Seems to hint towards a rebuild (if you are not for it).

Overall I'm ok with this hire but would've liked them to actually interview quite a few candidates and if he was best choice in their opinion then I'd have been cool with that. IMO I think a rebuild is happening especially with the KW rumors and if that's the case then it's something Renteria is familiar with when he managed the Cubs so he at least knows what he's getting himself into. At the same time if the Sox decide to actually try and compete again (doing what they've been doing) then I don't think Renteria has the same leash as Ozzie or Robin has. He'll have to win and win quickly to get a long term stay here.

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Oct 1, 2016 -> 09:33 PM)
Would much prefer them to go completely out of the org, but this is better than nothing. And as I said before, if the Sox decide to sell parts this offseason, then it won't even matter who our 2017 manager is.

Renteria has been here for six months.

I don't have a major issue with this. I presume we'll see some coaches replaced as well. I'd have prefered a totally fresh start, but Renteria is well respected and has plenty of experience as well as a positive reputation of working with young players. Would love to know what happened with this whole Ventura coming back bit and then not. I don't know why the Sox would have leaked bad info to Nightengale.

There needs to be big changes. Renteria as manager and Kenny being gone is a great start. Let Hahn do his thing without being battled by Kenny. Time for the big rebuild. Renteria did well with the Cubs so I'm optimistic. I'll be plenty patient with this team if there's a rebuild. Would also like to see an overhaul with the coaching staff and pro scouting.

Edited by SouthSideSale

I'm not in the business of blaming managers when players don't perform, but this move makes sense on many levels.

I also think it's clear that Renteria was not brought in as bench coach just to be a bench coach. That's why the Sox aren't interviewing other candidates.

Edited by Black_Jack29

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Oct 1, 2016 -> 11:08 PM)
As a part of the Sox organization, correct?

Using this as a standard, apparently no one can be hired, because as soon as they are here for some minimal amount of time, they become part of the "organization" which means they get some brain eating virus which ends their baseball acumen. Nevermind the fact that for over 50 years, he wasn't the organization.

I think Robin was somewhat loyal in a sense. They wanted him so he fufilled, but sometimes it looked like he really didnt want to be there.. once his contract ran he gracefully steped down. Gotta give robin that. And robin wasnt given all the best tools either. Sox problems are much more than Ventura..

From a CSN Chicago article: http://www.csnchicago.com/chicago-white-so...il-after-season

Todd Frazier: "I love Robin, love him to death. He's a good manager, for sure."

James Shields: "He's one of the better managers I've been around, and I've been around some really good ones...Robin is a good man, a good manager. He's really good with the players, and if he does step down, he's going to be sadly missed for sure."

This coming from 2 players who have been in the league for a long time.

Robin isn't horrible like most people think he is. Sure, he has made some poor decisions. Who doesn't? No manager is perfect, plus what do you expect from a guy who has never managed in the past? I think one of the most important qualities of a manager (after his ability to actually manage games) is his likeability among players. A manager who isn't likeable creates tension and ruins chemisty in the clubhouse. Robin is the exact opposite of that. He brings players together and keeps a good atmosphere. He isn't as bad as people think. Everyone who knows the man respects him. I haven't heard one gripe about him, ever, EXCEPT from the one group of people who have never had even one conversation with the man...the fanbase.

Edited by Scoots