Your Off Season Plan

GGajewski18

The yearly off season plan thread has begun. I'll give my thoughts on the off season and all of you come up with your off season plan for our beloved White Sox.

I for one are all in on a rebuild, so I will base my off season off that.

Manager:

Rick Renteria

Free Agent Signings:

3B Luis Valbuena 1 year/5 million

CF Carlos Gomez 1 year/7 million

SP Ivan Nova 1 year/5 million

Trades:

SP Chris Sale and 2B/3B Brett Lawrie to the Boston Red Sox for 2B Yoan Moncada, OF Andrew Benintendi, SP Michael Kopech, 3B Rafael Devers, and C/OF Blake Swihart

RP David Robertson to the Texas Rangers for OF Joey Gallo

LF Melky Cabrera to the Giants for SP Tyler Beede

SP Jose Quintana to the Dodgers for SP Julio Urias, OF Alex Verdugo, and SP Jose De Leon

3B Todd Frazier to the Astros for SP Francis Martes and RP Riley Ferrell

RF Adam Eaton (L)

SS Tim Anderson

1B Jose Abreu

CF Carlos Gomez

2B Yoan Moncada (L)

LF Andrew Benintendi (L)

DH Joey Gallo (L)

3B Tyler Saladino

C Blake Swihart (S)

C Omar Narvaez (L), OF Charlie Tilson (L), 2B/SS Carlos Sanchez (S), 1B/3B Luis Valbuena (L)

SP James Shields

SP Carlos Rodon (L)

SP Ivan Nova

SP Julio Urias (L)

SP Miguel Gonzalez

RP Anthony Raunado

RP Jake Petricka

RP Tommy Kahnle

RP Dan Jennings (L)

RP Will Lamb (L)

RP Nate Jones

RP Zack Burdi

Thoughts?

Edited by SoxPride18

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Oct 2, 2016 -> 09:33 PM)
Gonna eat his money? No team will trade for him. Why not try and see if he can pitch well and trade him at the deadline?

Yep, the Sox are stuck with that contract, unless they want to exchange it for another bad one (e.g., Ryan Braun... barf).

Of those listed in the first post, the one guy I'd definitely want back is Avila. With Collins not scheduled to be ready for a while, the Sox are desperate for a solid veteran catcher. Avila also gets on base at a nice clip, something that's relatively rare for catchers and something that we also desperately need now.

I trade Quintana and Melky to Boston for Benintendi, Moncada, Kopech.

Trade Lawrie(he can be there new Utley) to the Dodgers for Puig.

In a trade of contracts, Robertson to Colorado for CarGo.

LF-Benintendi

CF-Eaton

RF-Puig

3b-Frazier

SS-Anderson

2B-Moncada

1b-Abreu

C-???

DH-CarGo

Bench: Saladino, Leury, C, Coats/whoever

SP-Sale, Rodon, Gonzalez, Fulmer/Kopech/whoever, Shields

Bulpen: tbd, Jones closing

QUOTE (Lemon_44 @ Oct 2, 2016 -> 10:04 PM)
I trade Quintana and Melky to Boston for Benintendi, Moncada, Kopech.

Good luck with that.

Trade Lawrie(he can be there new Utley) to the Dodgers for Puig.

Good luck with that.

In a trade of contracts, Robertson to Colorado for CarGo.

Good luck with that.

😆

Boston and LA aren't giving up that much for Sale and Quintana. If I'm a playoff team, I'd be concern with Sale since he has inevitably faded in the second half each of the past 4 years, and that's without throwing a single pitch in the playoffs.

Urias has a chance to be something special, no reason to think he couldn't throw 160 innings next year. He's definitely MLB ready, so he's worth more than Quintana alone. There's only realistically 3-4 guys Dodgers would trade him for, and none of which are pitchers.

QUOTE (2005thxfrthmmrs @ Oct 3, 2016 -> 03:28 PM)
Boston and LA aren't giving up that much for Sale and Quintana. If I'm a playoff team, I'd be concern with Sale since he has inevitably faded in the second half each of the past 4 years, and that's without throwing a single pitch in the playoffs.

Urias has a chance to be something special, no reason to think he couldn't throw 160 innings next year. He's definitely MLB ready, so he's worth more than Quintana alone. There's only realistically 3-4 guys Dodgers would trade him for, and none of which are pitchers.

i am with you on Sale. but how much has the fiasco of the problems that faced the sox last yr esp in the beginning had to do with that.

but no one can not denied the talent of both sale or Q.

now to the org question, what to do..... for me, it is too early to tell.

QUOTE (2005thxfrthmmrs @ Oct 3, 2016 -> 09:28 AM)

Urias hasn't proven much of anything at the MLB level. He is certainly not worth more than an established, young ace with team control in Quintana.

QUOTE (2005thxfrthmmrs @ Oct 3, 2016 -> 08:28 AM)

While Sale improved down the stretch this year, I basically agree with your point. The problem with trading Sale is that his contract is ridiculously favorable, but he's not a sure-fire HOF stud who is a shoe-in to dominate in the playoffs, like a Randy Johnson. So that's going to limit the return on a trade for him. And since the Sox do have a relatively solid core of players who are maybe a Cespedes, a Morneau re-signing, and a bullpen arm away from being legit playoff team, it's difficult to justify trading Sale for anything less than the moon right now.

I think that the Sox do eventually move Sale, but it won't be this winter.

Edited by Black_Jack29

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Oct 3, 2016 -> 10:01 AM)
Urias hasn't proven much of anything at the MLB level. He is certainly not worth more than an established, young ace with team control in Quintana.

Urias is ready to contribute and is entrenched in the Dodgers rotation, with team control for the next 6 years, that's where his value comes from. You can no longer say Quintana has the edge in team friendly contract.

I wouldn't say a 1.40 ERA in the hitter friendly PCL league as a 19 year old, then pitching 80 innings in the big leagues earning a 2 WAR season, a fastball touching 95MPH, K/9 inning touching 10, again as 19 year old not proving anything. Is he an ace now? no. Is he better than Q next year, probably not. But there is no reason to think he isn't as soon as 2018. So why exactly would Dodgers pay a package featuring a stud along with other top prospects for Q? Also consider the fact that Q is tremendously under appreciated outside of the Sox org. No GM in history would ever do that deal.

QUOTE (2005thxfrthmmrs @ Oct 3, 2016 -> 11:26 AM)
Urias is ready to contribute and is entrenched in the Dodgers rotation, with team control for the next 6 years, that's where his value comes from. You can no longer say Quintana has the edge in team friendly contract.

I wouldn't say a 1.40 ERA in the hitter friendly PCL league as a 19 year old, then pitching 80 innings in the big leagues earning a 2 WAR season, a fastball touching 95MPH, K/9 inning touching 10, again as 19 year old not proving anything. Is he an ace now? no. Is he better than Q next year, probably not. But there is no reason to think he isn't as soon as 2018. So why exactly would Dodgers pay a package featuring a stud along with other top prospects for Q? Also consider the fact that Q is tremendously under appreciated outside of the Sox org. No GM in history would ever do that deal.

Potential to be what Quintana already is does not mean he is worth more. They both have friendly contracts.

You simply have to ask yourself if you would trade one for the other straight up. I would not trade Quintana for Urias straight up, the Dodgers would have to add something. Maybe not a lot of something, but something. Q is simply more proven.

QUOTE (balfanman @ Oct 3, 2016 -> 12:04 PM)
Potential to be what Quintana already is does not mean he is worth more. They both have friendly contracts.

You simply have to ask yourself if you would trade one for the other straight up. I would not trade Quintana for Urias straight up, the Dodgers would have to add something. Maybe not a lot of something, but something. Q is simply more proven.

There is no doubt that Urias would be a starting point for a Q or Sale deal. There would have to be more. A lot more.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Oct 2, 2016 -> 08:09 PM)
The yearly off season plan thread has begun. I'll give my thoughts on the off season and all of you come up with your off season plan for our beloved White Sox.

I for one are all in on a rebuild, so I will base my off season off that.

Manager:

Rick Renteria

Free Agent Signings:

3B Luis Valbuena 1 year/5 million

CF Carlos Gomez 1 year/7 million

SP Ivan Nova 1 year/5 million

Trades:

SP Chris Sale and 2B/3B Brett Lawrie to the Boston Red Sox for 2B Yoan Moncada, OF Andrew Benintendi, SP Michael Kopech, 3B Rafael Devers, and C/OF Blake Swihart

RP David Robertson to the Texas Rangers for OF Joey Gallo

LF Melky Cabrera to the Giants for SP Tyler Beede

SP Jose Quintana to the Dodgers for SP Julio Urias, OF Alex Verdugo, and SP Jose De Leon

3B Todd Frazier to the Astros for SP Francis Martes and RP Riley Ferrell

RF Adam Eaton (L)

SS Tim Anderson

1B Jose Abreu

CF Carlos Gomez

2B Yoan Moncada (L)

LF Andrew Benintendi (L)

DH Joey Gallo (L)

3B Tyler Saladino

C Blake Swihart (S)

C Omar Narvaez (L), OF Charlie Tilson (L), 2B/SS Carlos Sanchez (S), 1B/3B Luis Valbuena (L)

SP James Shields

SP Carlos Rodon (L)

SP Ivan Nova

SP Julio Urias (L)

SP Miguel Gonzalez

RP Anthony Raunado

RP Jake Petricka

RP Tommy Kahnle

RP Dan Jennings (L)

RP Will Lamb (L)

RP Nate Jones

RP Zack Burdi

Thoughts?

If you're not batting Gallo in the middle of your order, you're making a mistake.

As someone who follows the Dodgers, you have to realize certain ships have sailed. I know many people were advocating keeping Sale and Q thru this past season instead of trading them last offseason, but you have to realize, the prospects who you want have values that rise and fall. That's why if there's someone out there you want, you have to pounce.

From the Dodgers, you are not getting Urias in a trade that doesn't equal Sale. They simply won't do it. He's under team control for a long time and is major league ready and already has showed success.

De Leon, who I actually like better than Urias, can be had. For Q, you'd hope for a De Leon/Verdugo or De Leon/Puig swap. Again, for Q, you are not getting Urias. It simply will not happen.

As far as Puig, you're not getting him for the same price you could have had him for at the trade deadline unless he does something drastically stupid in the playoffs. The Sox have the players to get him, but I don't think they're going to want to pay the price.

Just trying to be realistic and temper expectations.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 3, 2016 -> 12:06 PM)
There is no doubt that Urias would be a starting point for a Q or Sale deal. There would have to be more. A lot more.

There is no GM in MLB who will give you Urias for Q, let alone "a lot more". Despite what fWAR suggests, other teams do not see Q as a true ace, and that is what Urias would have to go for.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Oct 3, 2016 -> 01:16 PM)
As someone who follows the Dodgers, you have to realize certain ships have sailed. I know many people were advocating keeping Sale and Q thru this past season instead of trading them last offseason, but you have to realize, the prospects who you want have values that rise and fall. That's why if there's someone out there you want, you have to pounce.

From the Dodgers, you are not getting Urias in a trade that doesn't equal Sale. They simply won't do it. He's under team control for a long time and is major league ready and already has showed success.

De Leon, who I actually like better than Urias, can be had. For Q, you'd hope for a De Leon/Verdugo or De Leon/Puig swap. Again, for Q, you are not getting Urias. It simply will not happen.

Exactly. You would not trade a top prospect who has already shown moderate success in the majors with a helium ceciling for another pitcher just because you "want" a more proven pitcher. I just don't know how much the dodgers are gaining from this. The ship for dealing Urias is gone, unless Dodgers are trying to pry a superstar away from another team.

QUOTE (balfanman @ Oct 3, 2016 -> 12:04 PM)

No, Urias is under control for 6 years I believe, a lot more team friendly situation even compared to Q.

If I'm being honest with myself, I'd ask what is my biggest need right now if I'm the Dodgers. They probably need a 2 or a 3 right now, which they have the cash to go sign without losing a top prospect. They just need Urias to fill in as the 4th and 5th starter next season and soon enough he'll grow into that 2/3 they're missing. And if I'm rebuilding the Sox, I'd definitely take Urias for Q straight up.

QUOTE (2005thxfrthmmrs @ Oct 3, 2016 -> 02:11 PM)
No, Urias is under control for 6 years I believe, a lot more team friendly situation even compared to Q.

If I'm being honest with myself, I'd ask what is my biggest need right now if I'm the Dodgers. They probably need a 2 or a 3 right now, which they have the cash to go sign without losing a top prospect. They just need Urias to fill in as the 4th and 5th starter next season and soon enough he'll grow into that 2/3 they're missing. And if I'm rebuilding the Sox, I'd definitely take Urias for Q straight up.

Dodgers have an abundance of starters and are going to want to keep the cheaper ones except in ace situations (Kershaw, Sale). Only way the Sox get Urias is dealing Sale.