2016-17 free agency thread (NON WHITE SOX RELATED)

southsider2k5

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Nov 12, 2016 -> 02:31 AM)
No doubt that Verlander had an amazing year last season, his best in a while, but he will be 34 before the seasons starts and still makes $28M a year for through age 36 season, plus a $22M vesting option for age 37 season.

Obviously not saying he's a salary dump, but I feel like the Dodgers can hold on to their top pieces if they wanted Verlander. The worst part would be it's one less suitor to drive up prices for Sale and Q for the Red Sox/Yankees/Astros/Rangers, etc.

I think the Dodgers are better off with Sale. They are so hell bent on getting a big name pitcher without paying the full cost of one though. That's why they went after Greinke at the deadline. Money be damned to Friedman, he cares about his prospects a little too much though.

• Replies 618
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Nov 12, 2016 -> 04:25 AM)
Let's hope Detroit apparently tearing down doesn't cause KW to reconsider the organization's approach this offseason....Verlander to LA makes sense as well because of career opportunities for Kate Upton out there.

VMart might be the perfect DH to replace Ortiz. CBA needs to get done. Once it's done more free agents sign with the rich teams who need to worry about luxury tax thresholds.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Nov 14, 2016 -> 12:26 PM)
Who else are we waiting on? Walker (who I think may take it or sign an extension with the Mets) and ?

Edit: Hellickson is the last guy that I forgot about.

Hellickson accepted his QO....so there goes one of the best couple arms on the FA market....to the Phillies. Only good news for the Sox.

Officially rejected QO:

Yoenis Cespedes

Mark Trumbo

Edwin Encarnacion/Jose Bautista

Justin Turner/Kenley Jansen

Ian Desmond

Dexter Fowler

Officially accepted the QO:

Jeremy Hellickson

Neil Walker

Edit: the order above is the order where their spot would be in the draft.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Nov 16, 2016 -> 01:22 PM)
John Danks plans on pitching in 2017. Good comeback candidate.

https://twitter.com/JonHeyman/status/798968569199464448

I know someone will throw some money at him and all, but I have no idea how you call him a comeback candidate. He has been the same pitcher for 5 full seasons now.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Nov 16, 2016 -> 02:27 PM)
Jon Morosi ‏@jonmorosi 9m9 minutes ago

Sources: #Dodgers, #Tigers have been in contact regarding possible Ian Kinsler trade. Kinsler has partial no-trade clause. @MLB @MLBNetwork

#Tigers have interest in #Dodgers prospect Cody Bellinger, sources say. Has 1.012 OPS in AFL and is what they want: young LHH with power.

https://twitter.com/jonmorosi/status/798970604674285574

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 16, 2016 -> 01:25 PM)
I know someone will throw some money at him and all, but I have no idea how you call him a comeback candidate. He has been the same pitcher for 5 full seasons now.

Who knows what a half year off could do for him though. I wouldn't expect any more than he gave the last 2-3 years but he would be worth some team taking a flyer on with a low guaranteed money, incentive based contract.