2016-17 free agency thread (NON WHITE SOX RELATED)

southsider2k5

• Replies 618
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Sleepy Harold @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 10:20 AM)
Bob Nightengale

@BNightengale

The #Rockies make their move and sign Ian Desmond, per @Ken_Rosenthal

10:19am · 7 Dec 2016 · Twitter for iPhone

I wonder how much they paid him. Being in Denver will help make it look no so bad in all likelihood, but he was trending down until a big first half last season. The second half, he put up a .630 OPS, in Texas. That is pretty awful.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 05:24 AM)
That is f***ing insane. They are getting Wade Davis for Avi Garcia.

Soler is far better then Garcia. I don't think this is a bad deal for the Royals at all. Cubs have flexibility to move Soler but I'm surprised they are doing it for a closer who is a FA at the end of the year and has had some arm issues.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 10:16 AM)
Maybe things will go nuts this afternoon and evening, but for an event that was hyped up as going to be crazy, there hasn't been many trades. Without the Sale trade, this Winter Meetings has been a snooze fest.

If I remember right, tomorrow is usually a non-event for news, so either stuff picks up later today or tonight or the meetings will end up having been very quiet. That said, I think we see a few more moves before Christmas. I also think if the Sox plan on moving Q, they would move him pretty quickly (as by and large the same suitors for Sale would be in on Q and we'd have presumably already done a ton of vetting on those lists, etc).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 7, 2016 -> 12:33 PM)
If I remember right, tomorrow is usually a non-event for news, so either stuff picks up later today or tonight or the meetings will end up having been very quiet. That said, I think we see a few more moves before Christmas. I also think if the Sox plan on moving Q, they would move him pretty quickly (as by and large the same suitors for Sale would be in on Q and we'd have presumably already done a ton of vetting on those lists, etc).

Yes, it really ends tonight. The Rule 5 is first thing in the morning, and then everyone leaves.

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ Dec 8, 2016 -> 07:35 PM)
Heard on the Score that Dexter Fowler is heading down to STL for a physical, fwiw.

Wonder if:

1) Turner signs back with the Dodgers soon, since they were he only team I really heard seriously linked to him.

2) This affects the Rockies plans. They were supposedly talking Blackmon with the Cards, and I don't buy that Desmond is their 1B.

QUOTE (Username @ Dec 8, 2016 -> 08:45 PM)
Wonder if:

1) Turner signs back with the Dodgers soon, since they were he only team I really heard seriously linked to him.

2) This affects the Rockies plans. They were supposedly talking Blackmon with the Cards, and I don't buy that Desmond is their 1B.

They could put CarGo at first, or trade one of them to the Blue Jays for pitching.

FYI - I guess Turner is in Curacao attending Kenley Jansen's wedding, so there may not be a deal for either for a lil bit.