2016-17 free agency thread (NON WHITE SOX RELATED)

southsider2k5

• Replies 618
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Nov 7, 2016 -> 11:16 AM)
Seems like Qualifying Offers for: Bautista, Encarnacion, Hellickson, Desmond, Fowler, Turner, Jansen, Cespedes, and Neil Walker.

Wieters not getting one is interesting.

Walker getting one is interesting. People have brought up the Mets infield as a team we could have had some trade matchups with.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Nov 7, 2016 -> 10:16 AM)
Seems like Qualifying Offers for: Bautista, Encarnacion, Hellickson, Desmond, Fowler, Turner, Jansen, Cespedes, and Neil Walker.

Wieters not getting one is interesting.

I really thought Fowler had an agreement to not be offered that. He is going to go through the same thing as last off season. Maybe this is just going to be an annual thing with him.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Nov 7, 2016 -> 02:06 PM)
I really thought Fowler had an agreement to not be offered that. He is going to go through the same thing as last off season. Maybe this is just going to be an annual thing with him.

Keith Law has him as the #2 overall free agent. He had a .391 OBP. I think he goes off the board pretty early at the Winter Meetings. 4/70

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Nov 7, 2016 -> 02:07 PM)
Keith Law has him as the #2 overall free agent. He had a .391 OBP. I think he goes off the board pretty early at the Winter Meetings. 4/70

Agreed. Nowhere near the same as last off-season where he was the 4th/5th best OF option available, likely less than that position player wise.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 8, 2016 -> 02:46 PM)
Chris Cotillo ‏@ChrisCotillo 4h4 hours ago

Blue Jays and Edwin Encarnacion have made at least some progress in talks, source tells SB Nation. @ShiDavidi said Jays are making push.

Am I crazy to think that any team with interest in EE should also have similar interest in Abreu?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 8, 2016 -> 03:52 PM)
Well, he would be WAY cheaper, even with the spectre of arbitration hanging over him.

Exactly. Abreu on 3 years and a pretty cheap deal and only giving up 2-3 good prospects seems better overall than signing Encarnacion to a 4-5 year deal, giving up $100-125 mill to a 34 year old (Abreu also has age on his side for the most part) DH/1B, and losing a prospect (draft pick).

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Nov 8, 2016 -> 04:00 PM)
Exactly. Abreu on 3 years and a pretty cheap deal and only giving up 2-3 good prospects seems better overall than signing Encarnacion to a 4-5 year deal, giving up $100-125 mill to a 34 year old (Abreu also has age on his side for the most part) DH/1B, and losing a prospect (draft pick).

The other side is that you are also giving up on a lot of production as well.