2016-17 free agency thread (NON WHITE SOX RELATED)

southsider2k5

• Replies 618
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 8, 2016 -> 12:33 PM)
Jon Morosi ‏@jonmorosi 1h1 hour ago

An Evan Longoria trade this winter makes good economic sense for #Rays: He's coming off great season and has 6 years, $100M left on deal.

Holy cow, I had no idea he was still under contract for this long.

Adam Rubin ‏@AdamRubinESPN 11m11 minutes ago

Bartolo Colon has signed with the Braves, according to multiple reports.

Adam Rubin ‏@AdamRubinESPN 7m7 minutes ago

Confirmed: Bartolo Colon to #Braves.

Adam Rubin ‏@AdamRubinESPN 5m5 minutes ago

Braves rotation includes Bartolo Colon at 43 and R.A. Dickey at 42.

QUOTE (KG#1 @ Nov 11, 2016 -> 09:31 AM)
Adam Rubin ‏@AdamRubinESPN 11m11 minutes ago

Bartolo Colon has signed with the Braves, according to multiple reports.

Adam Rubin ‏@AdamRubinESPN 7m7 minutes ago

Confirmed: Bartolo Colon to #Braves.

Adam Rubin ‏@AdamRubinESPN 5m5 minutes ago

Braves rotation includes Bartolo Colon at 43 and R.A. Dickey at 42.

Colon is getting $12.5 million on a 1 year deal. It's actually a solid deal. Colon put up 2.9 fWAR last year.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Nov 11, 2016 -> 10:00 AM)
This thread is being adjusted to purely post actual happenings. NO discussion to happen in this thread. I.e., if a player signs, feel free to put somethig in here, but if you want legitimate discussion, please establish a new thread.

BRING BACK THE CATCHALLS!

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Nov 11, 2016 -> 11:14 PM)
Are any of those good prospects? Seems like Kendrick would be a decent bet for a bounce back yeard and he'd have some value at the deadline (more so then what the Dodgers got).

Save 10 million

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Nov 11, 2016 -> 04:14 PM)
Are any of those good prospects? Seems like Kendrick would be a decent bet for a bounce back yeard and he'd have some value at the deadline (more so then what the Dodgers got).

Ruf isn't a prospect and is most likely a bench piece and the other guy they dealt for Utley originally. They're just spare parts and a way for Dodgers to save some money.

QUOTE (BamaDoc @ Nov 11, 2016 -> 04:16 PM)
Save 10 million

I bet they end up dealing for Verlander. Probably don't have to move Urias or whoever their next best prospect is, but probably a few from just under those guys. Probably makes more sense for them than dealing for Sale to be honest.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Nov 11, 2016 -> 04:51 PM)
I bet they end up dealing for Verlander. Probably don't have to move Urias or whoever their next best prospect is, but probably a few from just under those guys. Probably makes more sense for them than dealing for Sale to be honest.

Bill Shea ‏@Bill_Shea19 Nov 10

I'm not plugged into the MLB trade channels, but a source who is connected to Verlander's camp told me the rumored Dodgers trade is brewing.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Nov 11, 2016 -> 03:14 PM)

Didn't you just violate your own directive that there be no discussion in this thread ? :P I am so confused.

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Nov 12, 2016 -> 02:25 AM)
I would be pissed if the Tigers ended up with De Leon. I really like that kid.

No doubt that Verlander had an amazing year last season, his best in a while, but he will be 34 before the seasons starts and still makes $28M a year for through age 36 season, plus a $22M vesting option for age 37 season.

Obviously not saying he's a salary dump, but I feel like the Dodgers can hold on to their top pieces if they wanted Verlander. The worst part would be it's one less suitor to drive up prices for Sale and Q for the Red Sox/Yankees/Astros/Rangers, etc.

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Nov 12, 2016 -> 02:31 AM)
No doubt that Verlander had an amazing year last season, his best in a while, but he will be 34 before the seasons starts and still makes $28M a year for through age 36 season, plus a $22M vesting option for age 37 season.

Obviously not saying he's a salary dump, but I feel like the Dodgers can hold on to their top pieces if they wanted Verlander. The worst part would be it's one less suitor to drive up prices for Sale and Q for the Red Sox/Yankees/Astros/Rangers, etc.

Which is why Hahn should be already activiely contacting/listening to offers. If the right deal comes along, need to pull the trigger quickly even if it is November 12th. Every team exploring other options is one less trading partner/negotiating ploy to drive up his price.

I'm not trying to discredit Hahn or anything, I'm sure he's hard at work, but I'm of the opinion we cannot just sit back and wait this offseason. Playing the "it's only (insert month)" or "wait until winter meetings" games will quickly then become "oh well, I guess we'll try again during the midseason." I trust he'll understand how important this offseason is to this team.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Nov 12, 2016 -> 07:06 AM)
Which is why Hahn should be already activiely contacting/listening to offers. If the right deal comes along, need to pull the trigger quickly even if it is November 12th. Every team exploring other options is one less trading partner/negotiating ploy to drive up his price.

I'm not trying to discredit Hahn or anything, I'm sure he's hard at work, but I'm of the opinion we cannot just sit back and wait this offseason. Playing the "it's only (insert month)" or "wait until winter meetings" games will quickly then become "oh well, I guess we'll try again during the midseason." I trust he'll understand how important this offseason is to this team.

Dodgers trading for Verlander makes more sense than them dealing for Sale. Likely don't have to trade their best few prospects in a deal and his contract isn't an issue. Hopefully Boston or Houston can still pony up.