2016-17 free agency thread (NON WHITE SOX RELATED)

southsider2k5

• Replies 618
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Nov 23, 2016 -> 10:36 PM)
Walker still has a ton of upside, but it's in the same erratic/inconsistent way that Rodon does...

Imagine if we got that return for, let's say, Rodon and Frazier (or Saladino), would anyone be happy? Segura was almost a non-tender guy last offseason and had a huge bounceback year, but can you count on that if you look at his numbers year by year?

Rodon has shown signicantly more ability at the major league level. Not sure that's a great comparison.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Nov 23, 2016 -> 08:36 PM)
Walker still has a ton of upside, but it's in the same erratic/inconsistent way that Rodon does...

Imagine if we got that return for, let's say, Rodon and Frazier (or Saladino), would anyone be happy? Segura was almost a non-tender guy last offseason and had a huge bounceback year, but can you count on that if you look at his numbers year by year?

Walker/Marte are not equal to Rodon/Frazier. Segura had his best year last season so they indeed sold him high... but he also did have a 3+bWAR season on his resume. Again thou, I know nothing about the other two pieces going to Seattle - whichever I'm sure had something to play in this movement.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Nov 23, 2016 -> 10:42 PM)
Jerry DiPoto makes a lot of interesting trades.

Walker may or may not develop further, but he's a decent #4 right now. Arizona will do at least okay.

Interestingly bad, in my opinion. Lots of moves like the Sox have been known to make in the past (hopefully). They're definitely trying to win in 2017 and 2018 at any cost.

QUOTE (Ro Da Don @ Nov 24, 2016 -> 12:47 AM)
Interestingly bad, in my opinion. Lots of moves like the Sox have been known to make in the past (hopefully). They're definitely trying to win in 2017 and 2018 at any cost.

They're about in the position of the 2012 white sox, except they have more resources to add stuff other than Keppinger. It could work....if Cano, Hernandez, and Cruz don't turn into Konerko and company and get old.

QUOTE (Ro Da Don @ Nov 23, 2016 -> 10:47 PM)

Some good, some bad.

But they don't seem like Sox moves at all to me. .

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 23, 2016 -> 10:52 PM)
They're about in the position of the 2012 white sox, except they have more resources to add stuff other than Keppinger. It could work....if Cano, Hernandez, and Cruz don't turn into Konerko and company and get old.

Could. They'll be lucky to make the playoffs with Houston and Texas in the West.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Nov 23, 2016 -> 10:54 PM)
Some good, some bad.

But they don't seem like Sox moves at all to me. .

The outfield they have set up is absolute trash. Their 1B situation is set up as a damn Richie Schaffer/Dan Vogelbach platoon.

Trading controllable youth for an inconsistent player in Segura who, by the way, expires in 2 years? Super Sox move. See: the Frazier trade and the Samardjiza trade.

QUOTE (Ro Da Don @ Nov 23, 2016 -> 11:00 PM)
The outfield they have set up is absolute trash. Their 1B situation is set up as a damn Richie Schaffer/Dan Vogelbach platoon.

Trading controllable youth for an inconsistent player in Segura who, by the way, expires in 2 years? Super Sox move. See: the Frazier trade and the Samardjiza trade.

I don't disagree with what you're saying, but Walker has accomplished basically nothing. He obviously has a huge ceiling, but right now it doesn't look he's going to reach it. It's very possible they're selling high on Walker.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Nov 23, 2016 -> 11:04 PM)
I don't disagree with what you're saying, but Walker has accomplished basically nothing. He obviously has a huge ceiling, but right now it doesn't look he's going to reach it. It's very possible they're selling high on Walker.

He's only 24. Development isn't a linear thing. He just came off a season with an 8.0 K/9 and a 2.5 BB/9. The peripherals look good.

Edited by Ro Da Don

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Nov 23, 2016 -> 09:04 PM)

I would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Nov 23, 2016 -> 11:04 PM)

Walker has a lower WHIP and ERA than Rodon; that is mitigated because his park is friendlier, and he doesn't have Rodon's 9 Ks/9, but he's got 8. There is some talent there.

Seattle may be selling high on Walker; Arizona also may be selling high on Segura. That's what makes the trade interesting.

Edited by GreenSox

I agree with Dave Cameron's analysis of the trade. Thinks AZ sold high on Segura, bought low on Walker, but Mitch Haniger could be the wild card player. He was awarded the best Dbacks prospect of 2016 after a breakout season, and he plays CF. If he pans out, Seattle probably wins, if he is just a 4th OF, Dbacks probably win assuming Walker becomes a decent #3 starter.

Either way, interesting trade.

Hopefully Arizona fixes the flaw in Walker's delivery. A couple years ago Seattle shortened his stride which has led to more injuries with his shoulder and seen a decrease in velocity. Would be an easy fix and his elite stuff would return and health wouldn't be in question. Law and Crawford have been harping on that for 2 years with how Seattle has hurt Walker's development.

QUOTE (PolishPrince34 @ Nov 24, 2016 -> 10:50 AM)
Hopefully Arizona fixes the flaw in Walker's delivery. A couple years ago Seattle shortened his stride which has led to more injuries with his shoulder and seen a decrease in velocity. Would be an easy fix and his elite stuff would return and health wouldn't be in question. Law and Crawford have been harping on that for 2 years with how Seattle has hurt Walker's development.

Easy fix eh? How easy, like a couple starts? Just asking because I have no pitching coach experience.

[/quote

Sounds like the Slide Step technique, which is a great way to hurt the shoulder if used too much. Sue the Pitching Coach.

You can't predict injuries perfectly for any one player, but if you take a cluster of pitchers with the same delivery issues that Walker has, given the research on guys with upright finishes and high release points, you can say that overall the group will be more injury-prone with the shoulder than a control group without that kind of finish. That was changed two years ago in his delivery. If Walker went back to his old mechanics health shouldn't be an issue

QUOTE (PolishPrince34 @ Nov 26, 2016 -> 10:29 AM)
You can't predict injuries perfectly for any one player, but if you take a cluster of pitchers with the same delivery issues that Walker has, given the research on guys with upright finishes and high release points, you can say that overall the group will be more injury-prone with the shoulder than a control group without that kind of finish. That was changed two years ago in his delivery. If Walker went back to his old mechanics health shouldn't be an issue

I bet Seattle wishes they had you in their FO. They could have fixed him this offseason, let him dominate April, and then traded him for way more than they just did.

Edited by Jerksticks

QUOTE (PolishPrince34 @ Nov 26, 2016 -> 11:29 AM)

Makes sense.