Renteria Coaches

TDUbbz1984

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Oct 4, 2016 -> 02:12 PM)
I could see Super Joe McEwing being promoted to Bench Coach.

I wonder if he would want to move on after being passed over for the top job.

Trying to use logic, if everyone were coming back, I think they would have said something. There are going to be some changes IMO.

QUOTE (Moe @ Oct 4, 2016 -> 02:24 PM)
Cooper is the only lock, I'm sure, and I could see McEwing on the bench also. I'm not sold on Steverson- too many bad approaches at the plate!

Hawk says Steverson says the right things during BP but when the game starts, the players abandon what he was telling them. At the event I was at, RH did say they knew the team would be OBP challenged, but did seem disappointed that no one really got to the high end of what they were projecting, so I do think Steverson's seat is pretty hot.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 4, 2016 -> 02:28 PM)
Hawk says Steverson says the right things during BP but when the game starts, the players abandon what he was telling them. At the event I was at, RH did say they knew the team would be OBP challenged, but did seem disappointed that no one really got to the high end of what they were projecting, so I do think Steverson's seat is pretty hot.

Yeah, if Hawk said that in public, Steverson is probably as good as gone. That's also a pretty damning thing to say about the players, and I hope that Renteria changes that culture.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Oct 4, 2016 -> 02:19 PM)
Hire Barry Bonds as hitting coach.

Don Mattingly said he would quit the Marlins if Bonds was back at hitting coach. That is a pretty clear statement that whatever ability he has as a hitting coach can't cover for Barry's personality.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 4, 2016 -> 02:52 PM)
Don Mattingly said he would quit the Marlins if Bonds was back at hitting coach. That is a pretty clear statement that whatever ability he has as a hitting coach can't cover for Barry's personality.

I heard Bonds was pretty motivated in the beginning, but as the season progressed his commitment waned and he was hardly ever there. I think Barry probably got bored.

Edited by Chet Kincaid

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 4, 2016 -> 02:24 PM)
I wonder if he would want to move on after being passed over for the top job.

Trying to use logic, if everyone were coming back, I think they would have said something. There are going to be some changes IMO.

Agreed. Hahn said they'd address it later in the month.

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Oct 4, 2016 -> 04:14 PM)
I heard Bonds was pretty motivated in the beginning, but as the season progressed his commitment waned and he was hardly ever there. I think Barry probably got bored.

I think Bonds was only committed to one thing. That what made his head literally and figuratively bigger, and the "records" that followed.

I think that McEwing is gone and that he goes to another team that is currently cast in a better light (like the Braves) as a Bench Coach.

With the exception of Coop, I do want to see new blood in the dugout but a case is to be made for Severson.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Oct 4, 2016 -> 06:43 PM)
I think that McEwing is gone and that he goes to another team that is currently cast in a better light (like the Braves) as a Bench Coach.

With the exception of Coop, I do want to see new blood in the dugout but a case is to be made for Severson.

I'd love to hear that case be made.

If anything, I'd rather have Sparks be promoted. Read a few positive things about the way Sparks worked with Abreu and a few other guys.

I'd love to steal away Omar from Detroit as bench coach. Not sure what his title with them is and if it's possible. I just have dreams about Vizquel working with Tim Anderson 24/7 like he did with Iglesias. I do want some fresh faces in here on this staff, especially the hitting coach and bench coach. Too much underachieving to keep most of this staff.

Edited by SouthSideSale

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Oct 4, 2016 -> 08:05 PM)
The org., not the manager, picks the pitching and hitting coaches.

Steverson doesn't seem like a bad coach to me. But if they aren't listening to him, whether his fault or not, I suppose they have to look elsewhere.

Severson was brought in to implement a org wide system. Look at how much White Sox prospects have been doing at the plate, look at Tim Anderson for example. Severson deserves credit for that.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Oct 4, 2016 -> 07:15 PM)
I'd love to hear that case be made.

If anything, I'd rather have Sparks be promoted. Read a few positive things about the way Sparks worked with Abreu and a few other guys.

Look at Sox prospects/young players (position players) before Severson got here and after he got here. Guys like Anderson, Thompson. Look at how Eaton has gotten better each year under him and look at the minors and how better position players are doing here.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Oct 4, 2016 -> 08:33 PM)
Look at Sox prospects/young players (position players) before Severson got here and after he got here. Guys like Anderson, Thompson. Look at how Eaton has gotten better each year under him and look at the minors and how better position players are doing here.

Why are they tuning him out then? That seems like a new rumor to me. Just curious.

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Oct 4, 2016 -> 09:31 PM)
So what are some replacements for Stevenson? One could be Raul Ibanez. They loved him in KC IIRC.

He'd be a great guy to have on the staff. Has also been linked to some managerial jobs

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Oct 4, 2016 -> 09:35 PM)
Why are they tuning him out then? That seems like a new rumor to me. Just curious.

I am not in the clubhouse but I haven't heard that they were tuning him out anywhere. But the results are there and in his favor.

Edited by Joshua Strong

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Oct 4, 2016 -> 09:35 PM)

Maybe the vets are tuning him out who think they know everything already (Frazier, LaRoche, Navarro, Lawrie, etc.)

Saladino, Melky, Eaton, Anderson, Navarez, Abreu have all been mostly positive.

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Oct 4, 2016 -> 11:29 PM)
Maybe the vets are tuning him out who think they know everything already (Frazier, LaRoche, Navarro, Lawrie, etc.)

Saladino, Melky, Eaton, Anderson, Navarez, Abreu have all been mostly positive.

Veterans develop habits and those are probably hard to change when the season is started.