2017 MLB DRAFT

Boopa1219

Been following Mackenzie Gore since I go to ECU pirates baseball games and he is our top signee. He is a lefty HS pitcher who sits in the low 90s. Projected top 15. The other day he threw a 5 inning perfect game with 15 Ks and only had 8 balls. Top LHP in the high school ranks.

• Replies 801
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SouthsideDon48 @ Apr 5, 2017 -> 10:17 PM)
I think the sox should draft Jake Burger if he's still available. I think he's one of the best in this year's draft.

Big fan of Burger, but I agree with Y2Jimmy, he would be a bit high at #11. Would love him afterwards though. Kid screams steal ala Alec Hansen.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Apr 5, 2017 -> 11:23 PM)
#11 is way too high for Burger

I like Burger alot he is crushing it this year to the tune of .385/.478/.761 20BB to 13K. I would love for him to be there with our second pick at 39 but i doubt it. this draft will be interesting esp if they can acquire picks from the marlins and o's if they're in it nearing the draft.

Joseph Duarte‏Verified account @Joseph_Duarte 32m32 minutes ago

BREAKING: Houston lefty Seth Romero suspended indefinitely for multiple violations of university and athletic department policy. #MLB

Pretty noteworthy. Had worked his way into top half of the first consideration.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Apr 7, 2017 -> 09:11 PM)
Joseph Duarte‏Verified account @Joseph_Duarte 32m32 minutes ago

BREAKING: Houston lefty Seth Romero suspended indefinitely for multiple violations of university and athletic department policy. #MLB

Pretty noteworthy. Had worked his way into top half of the first consideration.

Depending on what his violations were I hope we pull the trigger on him if he slips to the second round, he was putting up some really good numbers this year.

Edited by Bruce_Blixton

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Apr 10, 2017 -> 09:14 AM)
There's been a lot of buzz lately about Mississippi State's Brent Rooker lately. Admittedly I don't know a ton about him but his stats are eye-popping. I hope the Sox are considering him at pick #11.

Rooker isn't even on top 100 draft prospect lists. I reached out to Callis, Crawford, and Manuel about it this weekend. They all were in agreement that he'll move up because teams love college bats but it won't be some meteoric rise to the level of Andrew Benintendi. Rooker could be a 1st rounder. Probably won't be a top half of the draft guy though.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Apr 10, 2017 -> 09:22 AM)
Rooker isn't even on top 100 draft prospect lists. I reached out to Callis, Crawford, and Manuel about it this weekend. They all were in agreement that he'll move up because teams love college bats but it won't be some meteoric rise to the level of Andrew Benintendi. Rooker could be a 1st rounder. Probably won't be a top half of the draft guy though.

Maybe the Sox can get him in the 2nd round then.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Apr 12, 2017 -> 08:59 AM)
Frankie Piliere‏Verified account @FPiliereD1 25m25 minutes ago

Pavin Smith had a 4 hit game yesterday for @UVABaseball and continues to become a very intriguing candidate for the #1 overall pick

Keith Law thinks Minnesota goes Brendan McKay at #1. He said he'd take Greene but he feels like Minnesota won't just because a HS righty has never gone #1.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Apr 12, 2017 -> 09:20 AM)
Keith Law thinks Minnesota goes Brendan McKay at #1. He said he'd take Greene but he feels like Minnesota won't just because a HS righty has never gone #1.

Who could blame them. No way I'd go HS pitcher #1 after the 2014 draft.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Apr 12, 2017 -> 08:59 AM)
Frankie Piliere‏Verified account @FPiliereD1 25m25 minutes ago

Pavin Smith had a 4 hit game yesterday for @UVABaseball and continues to become a very intriguing candidate for the #1 overall pick

Smith has had a strong season, but highly doubtful that a college 1B would be selected #1 overall. I don't believe that it has happened before

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Apr 12, 2017 -> 01:56 PM)
Smith has had a strong season, but highly doubtful that a college 1B would be selected #1 overall. I don't believe that it has happened before

I have a hard time seeing it as well. Seems to have some helium though in a college position player starved draft.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Apr 12, 2017 -> 02:51 PM)
I have a hard time seeing it as well. Seems to have some helium though in a college position player starved draft.

I'd be uncomfortable spending a top 5 pick on a 1B/DH type college player unless the bat were off the charts good

At #11 it might make some sense if he is on the board

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Apr 12, 2017 -> 03:15 PM)
I'd be uncomfortable spending a top 5 pick on a 1B/DH type college player unless the bat were off the charts good

At #11 it might make some sense if he is on the board

I wouldn't mind drafting a big LH bat at #11. If Pavin's bat is anything like Collins, sign me up.