2017 MLB DRAFT

Boopa1219

if they are gonna take coleman - take him in the 30 + round as a courtesy pick. solid useful college player...not a major leaguer. despite the nice plays this weekend - hes not good defensively, no power at all, hit tool below average, and is 5-4 and already a senior

Toffey is interesting - better athlete than given credit for - was supposedly projected as a future NHL player (kendall interestingly was as well), but chose baseball. REally good year as a freshman and was awful as a sophomore, before a great junior year. Very, very good knowledge of the strike zone, with added power this year (had 0 HR last year). Average defensively . I like him better than remillard because he has a much better feel for the stike zone, and remillard was a 10th rounder - so 4th round sounds about right.

Edited by daa84

• Replies 801
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jun 6, 2017 -> 11:02 AM)
I mean overall in terms of ceiling and floor. No doubt Kendall has more ability than guys like Burger & White, but I think they both have much better chances of becoming solid major leaguers (and normally I prefer going for upside in the 1st, but in a weak draft, floor might be the way to go). To me, they're all roughly the same caliber of prospect, but I'm also someone who has serious concerns over college bats with swing & miss issues. And right or wrong, the fact that our organization still hasn't show it can develop these type of players makes me even more concerned with someone like Kendall.

Honestly, I think this may be the perfect draft to target a Burger or White type guy for an underslot deal and then gamble on some high upside high schoolers later in the draft. For whatever reason, White is super intriguing to me, especially if you believe he can be an above-average OF defensively. I'd much rather gamble on his power concerns than Kendall's swing and miss issues.

We are on the same page concerning White. Great athlete with some thought that he could maybe even handle CF. I'm a big fan. Doesn't sound like there's much connecting him to the Sox unfortunately.

QUOTE (daa84 @ Jun 6, 2017 -> 11:27 AM)
if they are gonna take coleman - take him in the 30 + round as a courtesy pick. solid useful college player...not a major leaguer. despite the nice plays this weekend - hes not good defensively, no power at all, hit tool below average, and is 5-4 and already a senior

Toffey is interesting - better athlete than given credit for - was supposedly projected as a future NHL player (kendall interestingly was as well), but chose baseball. REally good year as a freshman and was awful as a sophomore, before a great junior year. Very, very good knowledge of the strike zone, with added power this year (had 0 HR last year). Average defensively . I like him better than remillard because he has a much better feel for the stike zone, and remillard was a 10th rounder - so 4th round sounds about right.

Ya courtesy pick is all I was talking about, consider all rounds after the bonus pool to be one pretty equal. Would be hilarious/awesome if someone his size made it though.

Same idea with Kendall, you already have Luis Robert in the fold, that gives you more freedom to double down with Beck...instead of playing it safe with some of the other more advanced but lower ceiling college bats.

That said, Evan White is intriguing. Maybe just not at pick 11.

And high schoolers that just put it all together usually get to the big leagues within 3-4 years. If they're going to bust, it's obvious in the first 2 MILB seasons, typically.

Beck would have a late 2020/early 2021 arrival....FAST TRACK, obviously. Trout, Jr., stuff.

Excellent scouting report on him

http://www.talkingchop.com/2017/4/13/15281...scouting-report

Austin Beck is a guy who has been compared by some to Mike Trout- Mike Trout at the time of his draft instead of Mike Trout the best player in the world. It’s a comp that makes some sense as they’re both prep center fielders with a good build to their upper bodies, a very good power and speed combo, and the ability to hit for average. I don’t want to buy into that though, as I think Trout was an 80 runner at the time and Beck wasn’t that even before his injury. I also think that Beck’s power now is a grade better than what Trout’s was at a similar point in his career.

Beck is a true five tool guy- one whom I can see becoming a .280 hitter with 25-30 homers, and the potential to steal his share of bases- especially earlier in his career with the rest of his career depending on just how much speed he ends up losing as he continues bulking up. Those numbers would be fairly similar to what you could expect from Rockies center fielder Charlie Blackmon for example.

Edited by caulfield12

Good stuff, BB.

I honestly don't flatter myself into thinking I have idea which guy to choose, but I do hope that they take a chance on someone with a high ceiling. If there was someone available with a reasonably high floor at a critical position, I might think differently, but as many have said, high floor, low ceiling corner infielders are not exactly difficult commodities to come by.

Take the risk and draft the kid with the potential.

Use the payroll dollars to sign the next Mark Grace in FA if need be.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 6, 2017 -> 10:20 PM)
Good stuff, BB.

I honestly don't flatter myself into thinking I have idea which guy to choose, but I do hope that they take a chance on someone with a high ceiling. If there was someone available with a reasonably high floor at a critical position, I might think differently, but as many have said, high floor, low ceiling corner infielders are not exactly difficult commodities to come by.

Take the risk and draft the kid with the potential.

Use the payroll dollars to sign the next Mark Grace in FA if need be.

raBBit is now, BB?

OH NO. I can't adopt that nickname.

BB is some dude who plays electric guitar at the local dive bar and can hustle some 8 ball games.

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Jun 7, 2017 -> 12:41 AM)
I think the fact that we have a top 3 system may give us the wiggle room to roll the dice on a boom-or-bust type player.

I still want Haseley, but I'm trying to talk myself in to being ok with a dice roll on Kendall or Beck, and I think I'm leaning Beck.

This is where I'm at as well I would love for our top 5 picks to look something like this

11 - OF Adam Haseley or OF Jeren Kendall or OF Austin Beck in that order for me

49 - LHP Seth Romero or LHP Brandon Little or LHP Jacob Heatherly

87 - RHP Bryce Montes De Orca

117 - OF Luis Gonzalez

147 - 3B Will Toffey

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 7, 2017 -> 12:54 PM)
Chris Cotillo‏Verified account @ChrisCotillo 1h1 hour ago Hiura's been linked to the Astros (15) and Red Sox (24). He answered questions about his health and future position.

http://www.mlbdailydish.com/2017/6/7/15757...hiura-interview

This is the guy I'm hoping for. Led the ncaa with a .567 obp. That's ridiculous.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jun 7, 2017 -> 02:28 PM)
Supposedly he has to get TJS. I'd imagine the Sox would go White ahead of him if they went in that type of direction.

In the interview he states that his doctors told him he doesn't need it, FWIW.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jun 7, 2017 -> 04:35 PM)
This is the most boring draft I can remember. Most teams are pretty firm on their guys. Oakland/Philli/Milwaukee could surprise but yeah, need a top five team to throw a wrench.

I heard Adell possibly at #4 underslot. Take it with a grain though.

Is it pretty firm Wright/Greene/Gore/McKay/Lewis in that order?

Seems a little far fetched. Would be somewhat surprised if Faedo goes top 10, would be very very surprised if both Faedo and Canning go top 10, just from aggregating all the other rumors. BUt who knows.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jun 8, 2017 -> 02:14 PM)
Seems a little far fetched. Would be somewhat surprised if Faedo goes top 10, would be very very surprised if both Faedo and Canning go top 10, just from aggregating all the other rumors. BUt who knows.

I'd be surprised if Haseley, Beck and Kendall are all still on the board for us.

Haseley is unlikely to fall out of the top ten given how good his season was.

Although considered a "safe" pick, I would not draft Pavin Smith in the top 10. First base is such an easy position to fill that I would be looking for more upside with a top ten selection. Smith does not have the necessary speed to play in the outfield either.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jun 8, 2017 -> 03:48 PM)
I'd be surprised if Haseley, Beck and Kendall are all still on the board for us.

Haseley is unlikely to fall out of the top ten given how good his season was.

Although considered a "safe" pick, I would not draft Pavin Smith in the top 10. First base is such an easy position to fill that I would be looking for more upside with a top ten selection. Smith does not have the necessary speed to play in the outfield either.

There are currently only 13 1b in the league with an OPS over .800. Only 11 last year at the end of the season. I think many on this board are too worried about position value over getting the best bat available.