Rumors that Cespedes is opting out

Jose Abreu

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think from the time he signed that contract it was pretty much a foregone conclusion that he would opt out unless he tanked or got hurt. If they decide to go for it they definitely need to take a look. He probably won't beat the $23.75 per he was due the next two years by a whole lot. The question is whether he is willing to sign a long term deal or if he is going to want another similar contract with an opt out after one year and a large signing bonus paid up front again.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Oct 6, 2016 -> 04:21 PM)
MAde more sense last year when the Sox had a) a protected pack and b) Cespedes didn't have draft pick compensation tied to him.

I just cannot see the Sox forfeiting the #12 pick all things considered.

I don't believe he would have a draft pick attached to him if he chooses to opt out. I don't think that makes him eligible for a QO.

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Oct 6, 2016 -> 04:22 PM)
I don't believe he would have a draft pick attached to him if he chooses to opt out. I don't think that makes him eligible for a QO.

Is that the case for sure? Seems to me more players would demand opt outs if it got them out of the QO.

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Oct 6, 2016 -> 04:22 PM)

If he opts out the Mets can still make him a QO.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2015/10/expl...fer-system.html

"Qualifying offers operate independently of options. Hence, a player can receive a qualifying offer even if their option is declined (whether by team or player) or if they opt out of a deal."

Obviously he'll get the QO, and his "can do whatever he wants" vibe won't be highly appreciated by a new manager trying to set a new tone for the clubhouse...plus putting him around a .500ish team screams potential problems.

Not to mention how many nice golf courses there are in Chicago. Then you have the smoking issue. Complicated.

I'm for the rebuild but if the Sox want to compete then they need to do whatever it takes to sign him if they want to compete with this roster but they'd need to make more additions. Jerry won't shell out the money nor do I believe Cespedes would come to the south side, so it's likely a moot point. But let's just think about a Cespedes addition for the sake of argument for competing. Cespedes addition along with other additions:

Eaton-RF

Cabrera-DH

Abreu-1B

Cespedes-LF

Frazier-3B

Anderson-SS

Lawrie-2B

Catcher: Free agent catcher Wieters or Lucroy? I know Hahn liked Castro in the past but I don't think he's much of an upgrade

CF:Tilson or bring back Jackson?

Rotation

Sale

Quintana

Shields (needing a bounce back season from him is big but I don't see it)

Rodon

Fulmer (is he ready?)

Bullpen

Free agent or trade addition

Petricka

Putnam

Burdi

LHP free agent or trade

Jones

Robertson

That's a lot of money Jerry would need to spend to make this team a legit playoff contender. I don't see it along with guys bouncing back. I just did this on a whim so flame away.

Edited by SouthSideSale

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Oct 6, 2016 -> 04:42 PM)
If he opts out the Mets can still make him a QO.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2015/10/expl...fer-system.html

"Qualifying offers operate independently of options. Hence, a player can receive a qualifying offer even if their option is declined (whether by team or player) or if they opt out of a deal."

Hmm, interesting. Well then he kind of hurts himself by opting out every year and always forcing a team to burn a pick to sign him.

Interesting rumor since he said mid season that he wouldn't opt out. But that was just the right thing to say at the time since saying the opposite would've drawn undo attention . He will be 31 October 18th. He could get a 4/5 year deal in the $100-150 M range so opting out would be quite lucrative.

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Oct 6, 2016 -> 04:07 PM)
I'm for the rebuild but if the Sox want to compete then they need to do whatever it takes to sign him if they want to compete with this roster but they'd need to make more additions. Jerry won't shell out the money nor do I believe Cespedes would come to the south side, so it's likely a moot point. But let's just think about a Cespedes addition for the sake of argument for competing. Cespedes addition along with other additions:

Eaton-RF

Cabrera-DH

Abreu-1B

Cespedes-LF

Frazier-3B

Anderson-SS

Lawrie-2B

Catcher: Free agent catcher Wieters or Lucroy? I know Hahn liked Castro in the past but I don't think he's much of an upgrade

CF:Tilson or bring back Jackson?

Rotation

Sale

Quintana

Shields (needing a bounce back season from him is big but I don't see it)

Rodon

Fulmer (is he ready?)

Bullpen

Free agent or trade addition

Petricka

Putnam

Burdi

LHP free agent or trade

Jones

Robertson

That's a lot of money Jerry would need to spend to make this team a legit playoff contender. I don't see it along with guys bouncing back. I just did this on a whim so flame away.

Miguel Gonzalez is in the rotation no?

QUOTE (onedude @ Oct 6, 2016 -> 07:31 PM)
Miguel Gonzalez is in the rotation no?

Yes, he is.

And Dan Jennings is in the bullpen.

And Lucroy will not be a free agent. His option is for $5.25 million and he's worth 3 or 4 times that.

And Castro, as one of the best framing catchers in the baseball, and an average catcher bat, would be a big upgrade.

Edited by Vance Law

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Oct 7, 2016 -> 03:40 AM)
And Castro, as one of the best framing catchers in the baseball, and an average catcher bat, would be a big upgrade.

Castro hasn't had an OPS> .700 in 4 seasons. Nothing average about his bat. Should have kept Flowers if that's the road the Sox are considering (and I certainly hope it isn't-good catchers who can hit are rare and way overpriced; but no reason to pay premium for one who can't hit).