Price rising for Sale and Q

bruni

I would let Boston keep Moncada and Jackie Bradley Jr. I would ask for 6 players in return though

Boston Receives: LHP Chris Sale

White Sox Receive: CF Andrew Benintendi, 3B Rafael Devers, RHP Michael Kopech, LHP Eduardo Rodriguez, C Blake Swihart, and OF Luis Alexander Basabe. JBJ Only has 4 years of control. I'd rather have Benintendi and his full 6 years. I can't see them moving Moncada after spending the amount $$ they have on him. Devers and Basabe are significant prospects with the offensive upside they provide. Rodriguez can go right into the Sox rotation. They have loved Swihart for years and he would join the big league team with Benintendi and Rodriguez. Kopech is just the type of guy that the White Sox could get the most out of. Adding him to (Hansen, Adams, Fulmer, and Stephens) would give White Sox a nice young stable of RHP.

The Dodgers are another team that has what it takes. They'd need to include Urias though. I think something like Urias/Bellinger/Verdugo/Barnes/Lux would be a fantastic deal but not sure Dodgers trade all of that. That's a killer haul.

• Replies 660
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Oct 12, 2016 -> 08:26 AM)
I would let Boston keep Moncada and Jackie Bradley Jr. I would ask for 6 players in return though

White Sox Receive: CF Andrew Benintendi, 3B Rafael Devers, RHP Michael Kopech, LHP Eduardo Rodriguez, C Blake Swihart, and OF Luis Alexander Basabe. JBJ Only has 4 years of control. I'd rather have Benintendi and his full 6 years. I can't see them moving Moncada after spending the amount $ they have on him. Devers and Basabe are significant prospects with the offensive upside they provide. Rodriguez can go right into the Sox rotation. They have loved Swihart for years and he would join the big league team with Benintendi and Rodriguez. Kopech is just the type of guy that the White Sox could get the most out of. Adding him to (Hansen, Adams, Fulmer, and Stephens) would give White Sox a nice young stable of RHP.

The Dodgers are another team that has what it takes. They'd need to include Urias though. I think something like Urias/Bellinger/Verdugo/Barnes/Lux would be a fantastic deal but not sure Dodgers trade all of that. That's a killer haul.

I forget who made the point originally, but reading the subsequent posts, taking advantage of the Red Sox catching depth is a must, and makes a ton of sense if the Sox are going to try for a hybrid rebuild. Not many teams can show depth behind the plate. The best of the White Sox depth is years away, and a guy like Collins might not make it to the bigs as a catcher.

I had no idea the depth at catcher the Red Sox had, and would rather see the Sox go after a guy like this versus another pitcher or position player at the end of the deal. Do any other teams have this kind of availability?

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Oct 12, 2016 -> 08:26 AM)

White Sox Receive: CF Andrew Benintendi, 3B Rafael Devers, RHP Michael Kopech, LHP Eduardo Rodriguez, C Blake Swihart, and OF Luis Alexander Basabe. JBJ Only has 4 years of control. I'd rather have Benintendi and his full 6 years. I can't see them moving Moncada after spending the amount $$ they have on him. Devers and Basabe are significant prospects with the offensive upside they provide. Rodriguez can go right into the Sox rotation. They have loved Swihart for years and he would join the big league team with Benintendi and Rodriguez. Kopech is just the type of guy that the White Sox could get the most out of. Adding him to (Hansen, Adams, Fulmer, and Stephens) would give White Sox a nice young stable of RHP.

I see this thrown around a lot and I think it is starting to get overstated. Yes control is great, but getting a quality player trumps control when your talking 6 v. 4 years. I would rather have Benintendi as well, but it has more to do with I think he brings a lot in his toolbox that the White Sox sorely need. I think he has a chance to be an Ellsbury type of player when he was at his prime.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Oct 12, 2016 -> 08:57 AM)
Sorry for bringing him up again, but why does nobody include Groome in potential packages? He's arguably their #3 prospect.

HS pitchers have a high bust rate, and its way too early to tell if he is going to be anything or not. I don't want to lose value in other places to pay for potential that may never be realized. Kopech makes more sense as he is closer to the majors and if he fails as a starter, you probably have a decent bullpen piece.

My only real concern with having Benintendi as a centerpiece is that in a small sample size this season, he had a pretty large split disparity. His minor league numbers aren't as pronounced, but that could be an indication of a potential weakness IMO. JBJ's splits are much better though now that I look at them.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 12, 2016 -> 11:06 AM)

Eh, Texas doesn't intrigue me after their midseason trades.

Order of preference: Red Sox - Dodgers (Urias needs to be included) - Yankees

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 12, 2016 -> 11:19 AM)
The other side to the 4 vs 6 years argument is Jake Arrietta. He had plenty of roster time before he got to the Cubs. If it is a guy you like, and a guy that fills a hole, I see nothing wrong with it.

When are the Sox planning on being good again though? If it's 2 years from now, then your CF is on a 2 year deal. Unless JR decides to pay Bradley which is doubtful. He is a Scott Boras client.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 12, 2016 -> 11:06 AM)

Not for Sale and Quintana

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 12, 2016 -> 10:51 AM)
I forget who made the point originally, but reading the subsequent posts, taking advantage of the Red Sox catching depth is a must, and makes a ton of sense if the Sox are going to try for a hybrid rebuild. Not many teams can show depth behind the plate. The best of the White Sox depth is years away, and a guy like Collins might not make it to the bigs as a catcher.

I had no idea the depth at catcher the Red Sox had, and would rather see the Sox go after a guy like this versus another pitcher or position player at the end of the deal. Do any other teams have this kind of availability?

I don't see their catching depth. They gave up on Swihart because of his catching abiliities and converted him to a LF then he ended up on DL for most of season. I love Vazquez as a defensive catcher but they sent him back to AAA again because he couldn't hit ML pitching. They got lucky because Leon, a career sub .200 hitter batted .300 this year. Their ML backup Hanigan hit below .200 and Holoday who they picked up struggled as well.

I think they will bring back Leon and Vazquez, release Hanigan who was the primary last season and put Holoday in AAA as insurance. I doubt they trade Vazquez because Leon is a risk. They will trade Swihart because Benintendi jumped ahead of him on their depth chart.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Oct 11, 2016 -> 10:48 PM)
Yep. If sox are serious about rebuilding they need younger players. JBJ will be 27 next season in his prime.

I doubt that the Sox are going to do a full rebuild. They have too many talented players that are under contract through 2020.

I expect the Sox to move Sale, Melky, Robertson, and possibly Frazier (who they could also re-sign, if they'd like). If they get the right package of ML-ready talent for Sale and some decent players for the others, they should be able to compete in late 2018/early 2019.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Oct 12, 2016 -> 11:23 AM)
When are the Sox planning on being good again though? If it's 2 years from now, then your CF is on a 2 year deal. Unless JR decides to pay Bradley which is doubtful. He is a Scott Boras client.

I see no scenario where the Sox undergo a full scorched earth rebuild.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Oct 12, 2016 -> 10:33 AM)
My concern is that I'd take pretty much all the proposed packages in this thread without thinking twice, which makes me think Boston wouldn't do it. I think it would cap at something like Benintendi/Devers/Kopech/Swihart.

I agree, that would be the absolute best-case scenario. Honestly, it's probably even swapping Benintendi for Moncada now that the former has clearly jumped ahead.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 12, 2016 -> 09:51 AM)

I agree 100%.

This is how you construct value trades...find out where they have depth and the value gained to the Sox will > value lost by the Redsox. IN no way would, say, a Swithart be a key loss for the RedSox...but he would be a key throw in for us, esp. if they are trying to still contend.

But I'll believe it when I see it out of this FO.

Edited by GreenSox

I'm dying to see Hahn execute a rebuild. I just feel like his hands are tied with upper management and ownership on budget restraints and moves. I'm really hoping they let Hahn rebuild and since they're loyal to their management and managers, they can let Renteria develop these young kids. I just don't want to see another half-assed off-season.