2016 Presidential Election Thread

Quin

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Rex Kicka** @ Oct 19, 2016 -> 11:49 PM)
I think the missing lede in this debate was Hillary's answer on abortion. Her defense of abortion, particularly late term abortion was one of the most honest, bold defenses of Roe v Wade I've ever seen in a campaign.

Trump made it sound like women get late term abortions for fun, on a whim. This is usually a life or death type situation, and always a last resort.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Oct 19, 2016 -> 11:53 PM)
Wallace was fantastic tonight. And by my Trump standards, this was by far his best performance and he still lost.

Completely agree. And when he did make mistakes, they were big enough to dominate the post debate spin. The trajectory is not good for Donald Trump.

By the way, for those of you saying Trump was unhinged, I largely thought the opposite. I was really expecting him to be fully unhinged (even by his standards) and instead he was far calmer than I could have ever anticipated (again, this is not based on normal candidate standards but Trump standards). I figured he was going to go full on insane in this debate (figuring he had nothing more to lose so why not go down fighting and throwing insults left and right).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Oct 19, 2016 -> 11:59 PM)
By the way, for those of you saying Trump was unhinged, I largely thought the opposite. I was really expecting him to be fully unhinged (even by his standards) and instead he was far calmer than I could have ever anticipated (again, this is not based on normal candidate standards but Trump standards).

he was better than the other two debates, mostly in control of himself, but still disqualifyingly bad by normal standards. I just can't picture Romney debasing himself like this.

QUOTE (Rex Kicka** @ Oct 19, 2016 -> 10:49 PM)
I think the missing lede in this debate was Hillary's answer on abortion. Her defense of abortion, particularly late term abortion was one of the most honest, bold defenses of Roe v Wade I've ever seen in a campaign.

I still can't believe In 2016 this is still a topic. It's crazy we've gone this far in reverse where someone wants to reverse that ruling.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Oct 19, 2016 -> 10:59 PM)
By the way, for those of you saying Trump was unhinged, I largely thought the opposite. I was really expecting him to be fully unhinged (even by his standards) and instead he was far calmer than I could have ever anticipated (again, this is not based on normal candidate standards but Trump standards). I figured he was going to go full on insane in this debate (figuring he had nothing more to lose so why not go down fighting and throwing insults left and right).

His answers were unhinged. They made no sense. He contradicted himself while in the same 2 min slot. That's why I thought he was unhinged.

QUOTE (Rex Kicka** @ Oct 19, 2016 -> 09:49 PM)

That really was a great moment imo of course. You haven't seen a full throated defense like that on that big of a stage before.

QUOTE (Ezio Auditore @ Oct 19, 2016 -> 09:02 PM)
he was better than the other two debates, mostly in control of himself, but still disqualifyingly bad by normal standards. I just can't picture Romney debasing himself like this.

Oh, I think he's horrendous. I also happen to think Hillary is horrendous too, though. I think she has shown absolutely horrific judgement and moral character time and time again (this is ignoring my differing views on policy). If she wasn't such a crook, I'd actually vote for her. At least she isn't horrifically liberal in comparison to other democrats. I disagreed more on Bernie's policies but believed in who he was.

Then there is Trump, who is downright disgusting (and I don't even understand what his actual policies are in many cases).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Oct 20, 2016 -> 12:05 AM)
Oh, I think he's horrendous. I also happen to think Hillary is horrendous too, though. I think she has shown absolutely horrific judgement and moral character time and time again (this is ignoring my differing views on policy). If she wasn't such a crook, I'd actually vote for her. At least she isn't horrifically liberal in comparison to other democrats. I disagreed more on Bernie's policies but believed in who he was.

Then there is Trump, who is downright disgusting.

I think Hillary and Trump are both bad, but in different ways. Hillary is bad like processed sugar. Trump is bad like crack cocaine. So I can either eat some cookies, or smoke rocks. That's pretty easy I think.

QUOTE (Ezio Auditore @ Oct 19, 2016 -> 11:07 PM)
I think Hillary and Trump are both bad, but in different ways. Hillary is bad like processed sugar. Trump is bad like crack cocaine. So I can either eat some cookies, or smoke rocks. That's pretty easy I think.

That's pretty good right there.

QUOTE (Ezio Auditore @ Oct 19, 2016 -> 09:07 PM)

I am disgusted that we have allowed for things to be at a point where people who don't fit the description of American values can be potential candidates for this country. Policy is absolutely important, but before you even get to policy, you have to cover character, and to me, if you have no character, you shouldn't be even a legitimate candidate for president. It should be a full blown pre-requisite. Now Hillary's character is better then Trumps. My 3 year old has less tantrum's than Trump.

If I can't say that the actual behavior of a candidate isn't indicative of how I'd want my children to treat others and what should exemplify the greatest nation in the world, then I absolutely could never vote for them. We as American people need to go back to holding people legitimately accountable and demanding better out of our politicians and candidates. That said, we the people are the reason we are in this mess to begin with.

What has Dr. Carson been up to? Haven't seen anything from him in a while.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Oct 20, 2016 -> 12:11 AM)
I am disgusted that we have allowed for things to be at a point where people who don't fit the description of American values can be potential candidates for this country. Policy is absolutely important, but before you even get to policy, you have to cover character, and to me, if you have no character, you shouldn't be even a legitimate candidate for president. It should be a full blown pre-requisite. Now Hillary's character is better then Trumps. My 3 year old has less tantrum's than Trump.

If I can't say that the actual behavior of a candidate isn't indicative of how I'd want my children to treat others and what should exemplify the greatest nation in the world, then I absolutely could never vote for them. We as American people need to go back to holding people legitimately accountable and demanding better out of our politicians and candidates. That said, we the people are the reason we are in this mess to begin with.

What has Dr. Carson been up to? Haven't seen anything from him in a while.

I actually like Hillary. I think her heart is actually in the right place. She has the stink of corruption around her, but when you've been investigated virtually nonstop for 30 years - that happens. Do I think she's clean? No. But, I don't think anyone is. But I think all the scrutiny has probably made her cleaner than most.

QUOTE (Ezio Auditore @ Oct 19, 2016 -> 09:17 PM)
Carson makes a fool of himself every time he speaks.

I was more surprised we hadn't seen him out there. After talking a bit in Trump's camp he seemed to dissapear (or maybe I'm misremembering). All I know is I'm more and more ready to elect Paul Ryan in 4 years :)

QUOTE (Ezio Auditore @ Oct 19, 2016 -> 11:07 PM)

And that's why this country is so overweight.

I've decided to abstain from voting for president this election, just gonna leave it blank. My attempt at a silent protest, although irrelevant in the grand scheme.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 19, 2016 -> 11:19 PM)
And that's why this country is so overweight.

I've decided to abstain from voting for president this election, just gonna leave it blank. My attempt at a silent protest, although irrelevant in the grand scheme.

Illinois will be blue.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Oct 20, 2016 -> 12:19 AM)
I was more surprised we hadn't seen him out there. After talking a bit in Trump's camp he seemed to dissapear (or maybe I'm misremembering). All I know is I'm more and more ready to elect Paul Ryan in 4 years :)

He's been out there, he's actually just not very good as a political pundit. He doesn't make much sense and doesn't really know what he's talking about most of the time.

QUOTE (Rex Kicka** @ Oct 19, 2016 -> 09:18 PM)
I actually like Hillary. I think her heart is actually in the right place. She has the stink of corruption around her, but when you've been investigated virtually nonstop for 30 years - that happens. Do I think she's clean? No. But, I don't think anyone is. But I think all the scrutiny has probably made her cleaner than most.

As a conservative, deep down, I hope we see a lot from a policy perspective of what happened in the Bill whitehouse, which was a largely left / center approach which as a conservative isn't the worst thing that could possibly happen. Given how high profile she has had to be, I'm pretty astonished at the poor judgement she has showed. Whether it was the Clinton foundation, the emails, Benghazi, etc. I do agree that ultimately she wants to do what she believes is right for America (at least to some extent). I honestly don't know what the f*** Trump is doing and what his motive is (I legitimately think he and Bill will be smoking a cigar with mistresses in some random backroom of a Trump resort when this election ends...with Trump saying, see Bill, I told you I could con America into electing Hillary).

How are you going to get Ryan through the primaries in 2020 without that 40% of the Republican base that supported Trump consistently throughout turning on him?

What's more likely to happen is another Trump-ish demagogue will fill that vacuum, and the other candidates will split the votes into too many pieces of pie to form a winning coalition.

How can you motivate the moderate/centrist wing of the GOP (see Colin Powell/Kasich this electoral season) to get excited enough to turn out when time and time again it has been the most radicalized wings of both parties who show up in January through April??

Edited by caulfield12