2016 Presidential Election Thread

Quin

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Nov 8, 2016 -> 10:00 AM)
I relied entirely on the Illinois Bar Association's guidance. Elected judges are dumb.

As do I, which is why I think we can just end the song and dance and accept that this is essentially an administrative position with it's own ethics structure already in place. Let them sort it out amongst themselves.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Nov 8, 2016 -> 10:05 AM)
Some states they're appointed, other states they aren't. I'd imagine they became elected positions in the late 19th century as a push back against patronage and machine politics corruption, but it seems more hurtful than helpful these days.

Yeah, there were 20+ judges on my ballot. I've appeared in front of a handful. Unless the bar association didn't support retention, or I had a particularly bad experience in front of a judge, I voted to retain.

As an aside, this is why lawyers should absolutely respond to surveys from their State Bar Association on judges. That's generally the basis of their recommendations.

I went with:

yes for the constitutional amendment. I thought about the catastrophe hypothetical but figured they could do some make-em-up accounting to find money in an emergency. I like the idea that they'd be held to standards on how to spend money. And our roads are s*** in a lot of places.

Voted for Gary Johnson. Obviously couldn't vote for Trump or Clinton (douche and a turd) and while I think Johnson's an idiot too, I know he's not going to win and it's a vote for a 3rd party candidate that can only help with exposure. About the only positive I could think of in the general.

Voted for Kirk and Munger. My wife and I have met Duckworth and she's a miserable human being. Munger is not connected to Madigan which is an easy choice for me.

All of the judges I didn't vote for or against except the ones I have appeared before. If they were an asshole I voted no. If I liked them they got a yes. It's f***ing pathetic that the list of 30 or so are nothing but democrats.

Also voted yes consolidating the recorder of deeds. Read somewhere it would save a million or so a year. Every little bit helps.

My polling place was fine except for the 1-2 napoleon election judges. I voted electronically for the first time and immediately regretted it. They only had 2 machines so it took too long to wait for people to finish. I thought it was funny that the machine is electronic and you vote on a touch screen, but at the end it actually prints your ballot and makes you review it before submitting it. Also, the machines are all clearly from 1993. Saw a lot of 24 pin connecter-type wiring equipment in there. For something so important to this country, how do we not have a more up to date voting system?

edit: i should add it took about 40 minutes but i was 4th in line so it should not have taken that long. We have a dual precinct polling location so people in front of me for my precinct spent 5 minutes with someone looking up their information only to find they needed to be at the other precinct table.

Edited by JenksIsMyHero

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Nov 8, 2016 -> 10:20 AM)
My polling place was fine except for the 1-2 napoleon election judges. I voted electronically for the first time and immediately regretted it. They only had 2 machines so it took too long to wait for people to finish. I thought it was funny that the machine is electronic and you vote on a touch screen, but at the end it actually prints your ballot and makes you review it before submitting it. Also, the machines are all clearly from 1993. Saw a lot of 24 pin connecter-type wiring equipment in there. For something so important to this country, how do we not have a more up to date voting system?

Because they cannot figure out the security OR the bandwith issues they would face with deploying those.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 8, 2016 -> 10:22 AM)
Because they cannot figure out the security OR the bandwith issues they would face with deploying those.

Yeah analog is actually typically much, much easier to handle for security issues than anything IP-based. Our archaic and balkanized voting system actually makes it harder to systematically manipulate.

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 8, 2016 -> 10:23 AM)
At least it prevents the panic of how much you need to color in the arrows. I know I only need a line but I end up doing a 1 hour coloring session every time.

I almost walked out with one of the markers. The lady yelled. I thought I was going to be taken down.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Nov 8, 2016 -> 10:23 AM)
Yeah analog is actually typically much, much easier to handle for security issues than anything IP-based. Our archaic and balkanized voting system actually makes it harder to systematically manipulate.

Using Azure for the MO primary and watching it go down is pretty much a smaller example of what would happen if it was deployed country-wide.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Nov 8, 2016 -> 10:35 AM)
A few pages back someone said Trump was lying about that Belichick letter. But it looks to me like the reports say it's true.

http://thebiglead.com/2016/11/08/bill-beli...ump-per-report/

No one wrote Trump was lying about the Belichick letter. There was question about Brady because his wife did say they weren't backing Trump. But I don't think even Trump would lie about that, so I imagine Brady did vote for him.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 8, 2016 -> 10:58 AM)
No one wrote Trump was lying about the Belichick letter. There was question about Brady because his wife did say they weren't backing Trump. But I don't think even Trump would lie about that, so I imagine Brady did vote for him.

?

http://www.soxtalk.com/forums/index.php?s=...t&p=3444169

http://www.soxtalk.com/forums/index.php?s=...t&p=3444175

My polling place had open tables with no dividers or privacy and some nosy jerk was looking at your ballot as you inserted it into the machine. My wife and I reported it, we were told they were given dividers, but they weren't using them.

Edited by JPN366

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Nov 8, 2016 -> 09:08 AM)
My polling place had open tables with no dividers or privacy and some nosy jerk was looking at your ballot as you inserted it into the machine. My wife and I reported it, we were told they were given dividers, but they weren't using them.

I would have spit in his eye.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Nov 8, 2016 -> 11:08 AM)

That seems like a serious violation and good on you and your wife for reporting it.

Anyone sees or experiences any election shenanigans, contact 866-OUR-VOTE.

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Nov 8, 2016 -> 12:03 PM)
Reminder also that VA will look red early on, but then NOVA will report and that'll be the end of that.

Same for the electoral count too. Republicans always lead early because states like KY close first and report early before big states like NY close.