2016 Presidential Election Thread

Quin

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

damn it meant to post this last night when it was 24 hours before the first east coast polls would close, oh well

hqdefault.jpg

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Nov 8, 2016 -> 08:22 AM)
Legitimately laughed out loud here.

please rename this thread to 2016 Day of Gregoning

Edited by StrangeSox

I had looked at my sample ballot maybe 3-4 times, but today I voted and out of nowhere there was a ballot measure from Oak Park proposing updating the language of the 2nd amendment (the federal constitution's 2nd amendment) to allow congress to regulate the use of firearms.

It was very bizarre. One, I have NO idea what power that even holds, like...what does that do next?

But obviously I voted for it since I am soxtalk's only poster in favor of changing the 2nd amendment (and perhaps I hallucinated the question?).

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 8, 2016 -> 08:47 AM)
Curious to know how illinois voters here voted on the road fund amendments and consolidation proposal for cook county.

I forgot to vote for that amendment and realized it the instant I sealed the envelop. I don't know how I would have voted (was leaving that to the end to finish looking into it) but was leaning towards being in favor of it. If it loses by one vote, blame me.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Nov 8, 2016 -> 08:48 AM)
I forgot to vote for that amendment and realized it the instant I sealed the envelop. I don't know how I would have voted (was leaving that to the end to finish looking into it) but was leaning towards being in favor of it. If it loses by one vote, blame me.

I voted against it. I understand reasoning behind it, but to me the strict rules on things like that always come back and bite you. Imagine a huge flood where lawmakers couldn't move funds out of the road funds to relief funds.

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 8, 2016 -> 08:46 AM)
I had looked at my sample ballot maybe 3-4 times, but today I voted and out of nowhere there was a ballot measure from Oak Park proposing updating the language of the 2nd amendment (the federal constitution's 2nd amendment) to allow congress to regulate the use of firearms.

It was very bizarre. One, I have NO idea what power that even holds, like...what does that do next?

But obviously I voted for it since I am soxtalk's only poster in favor of changing the 2nd amendment (and perhaps I hallucinated the question?).

It's a non issue. Hillary is getting rid of the second amendment. Trump said so. He doesn't lie. Straight shooter.

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 8, 2016 -> 08:51 AM)
I voted against it. I understand reasoning behind it, but to me the strict rules on things like that always come back and bite you. Imagine a huge flood where lawmakers couldn't move funds out of the road funds to relief funds.

Yeah that's why I didn't just mark "yes" right away, but god damn are Illinois' roads abysmal. Worse than literally every other state I've been to, and I've been to most of them at this point.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 8, 2016 -> 08:54 AM)
It's a non issue. Hillary is getting rid of the second amendment. Trump said so. He doesn't lie. Straight shooter.

This is true. I wish I hadn't spent time on it now.

My polling spot opened at 6 AM, I got there at about 6:15, and I was out just after 7. Not too bad.

I voted NO on the roads amendment because I read that it was lobbied onto the ballot and promoted by construction companies, and that it would hamstring the Illinois budget even further. Don't think that's what we need right now.

Not a discussion for the Presidential Election thread though, so I digress.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Nov 8, 2016 -> 08:54 AM)
Yeah that's why I didn't just mark "yes" right away, but god damn are Illinois' roads abysmal. Worse than literally every other state I've been to, and I've been to most of them at this point.

I'm not sure why though, it seems like our crews take too much time, repair the wrong areas and do it poorly. I dont think its funding as much as its overall politics on who is doing the work and when.

QUOTE (shysocks @ Nov 8, 2016 -> 09:05 AM)
My polling spot opened at 6 AM, I got there at about 6:15, and I was out just after 7. Not too bad.

I voted NO on the roads amendment because I read that it was lobbied onto the ballot and promoted by construction companies, and that it would hamstring the Illinois budget even further. Don't think that's what we need right now.

Well you can blame me for that :)

eh I assume we're all just going to treat this as the main election day thread anyway, no reason to create even more threads for house/senate/local stuff

speaking of, here's a pretty good summary of what House races to watch tonight. Republicans are almost definitely going to hold the House, but Democrats could definitely cut into their margins.

QUOTE (shysocks @ Nov 8, 2016 -> 09:05 AM)

Mine opened at 6. Got there 5 minutes before it opened and I was about 50th in line. There are 2 wards that vote at my location, and they split it into 2 lines once you get in the church. Probably 45 of the 50 people in front of me lived in the other ward, which is separated by whether you are north or south of a street, so I voted by 6;10, but there was an issue with the machine you put your ballots in. It wasn't registering the votes. So I had to wait another 15 minutes for them to fix it. Still not too bad.

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 8, 2016 -> 08:51 AM)

I, too, voted against it.

My story is uneventful. Got to my polling place at 5:55 and hung out with the white haired's. There was a black guy in front of us and the guy behind me said "oh great, the blacks are voting". Jesus, people, this is Glen Ellyn!

Anyway, uneventful beyond the fact that the people handing out the voter cards don't know what order letters are in the alphabet. I was out of there by 6:15.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Nov 8, 2016 -> 09:14 AM)
well, for certain there is so much vote rigging going on right now. Seems like everyone is seeing it and Limbaugh is talking about it. Give it to the Clintons now and forever the end

Rush and his kind already had their scripts for today's show written months ago.