2016 Presidential Election Thread

Quin

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 8, 2016 -> 09:17 AM)
Before this campaign, I never liked Trump. I thought he was pompous obviously. I just never realized was a despicable human being he is.

I just hope he gets trounced today.

I thought he was funny on the first few seasons of The Apprentice but in a "hey, he can't hurt me kind of way." He's such a flipping child it's ridiculous.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Nov 8, 2016 -> 09:20 AM)
CwvvnLZXAAAbsTX.jpg

If Paul Manafort hadn't faked mechanical problems with Trump's plane and convinced Trump to take on Pence, Christie would be the VP candidate right now.

He looks good.

Christie and Giuliani come out the worst of the election season. Rudy was the 9/11 Country's Mayor whom everyone thought they adored. Now he's just a weirdo.

I am ready to sit down with a cold one and consume election coverage all night long.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Nov 8, 2016 -> 09:25 AM)
I thought he was funny on the first few seasons of The Apprentice but in a "hey, he can't hurt me kind of way." He's such a flipping child it's ridiculous.

There are many other reality stars I enjoyed on TV that I wouldnt vote for in a million years for president and some of them are probably better business minds.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Nov 8, 2016 -> 10:26 AM)
He looks good.

Christie and Giuliani come out the worst of the election season. Rudy was the 9/11 Country's Mayor whom everyone thought they adored. Now he's just a weirdo.

I am ready to sit down with a cold one and consume election coverage all night long.

The postmortem coverage after a Trump loss will be SO much easier to consume for me.

realistically, probably no early than 2012 which was around 1030 CDT. If Florida and NC go Clinton, the election will be over whenever those are called. If Trump manages to win in every swing state on the east coast, it'll be over when Nevada is called probably some time early tomorrow.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Nov 8, 2016 -> 10:44 AM)
Around what time tonight do you think we know the outcome?

Outside of something crazy happening.

here are poll closing times:

closing_times.png

The official call for a Democrat to win could not be made without California. The official call in a Republican blowout probably would need Mountain Time states. The Official calls won't be until 11:00 or later for a Democrat or 10:00 or later for a Republican, eastern time.

If North Carolina, Georgia, Ohio, etc. were to be called earlier for the Democrat, then you could have it generally known who is going to win perhaps 1-2 hours earlier than that.

Anyone ever watch The Circus on Showtime about the election? The last one was interesting. They had 4 guys that used to be campaign advisors discussing some things for a little bit. One guy used to write speeches for McGovern when he was younger. He was told the day before he had to deliver the news to McGovern that he wasn't going to win. When he did, McGovern told him he already knew that, and knew it for a while, but he had to fake it one more day. Apparently the last couple weeks of the campaign, his rallies were drawing huge crowds.

They made it seem like someone is going to have to have the same conversation with Trump, and no one thought he was going to not become unhinged.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Nov 8, 2016 -> 10:44 AM)
Around what time tonight do you think we know the outcome?

Outside of something crazy happening.

Both times they called it for Obama at 11 EST but anyone watching the electoral count knew a couple hours before then.

Watch the calls for PA, VA, and NH (which she should hold), then if Clinton wins either of FL or NC the election, it's over for Trump, he has no path to 270 because she will get CO, NM, and NV when they start calling the western states. She will probably lose OH, but she doesn't need it this time.

I think it will be late. NC/FL would be decisive, but both will be close and Florida doesn't call early usually. That said, we have had a large amount of early voting which perhaps means we get through counts earlier?

I think we don't know before midnight.

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 8, 2016 -> 09:49 AM)
Interesting Tweet from Ruffini which makes sense. Takes a long time for voters to go through:

https://twitter.com/PatrickRuffini/status/796008708815917062

Why am I voting for 100 judges whose names I have never heard? It's bizarre. I had a printout from my wife from a law group about who was qualified but even that was 95% Yes to 5% No.

I also enjoyed voting for an unopposed Official Record Keeper, and then later having to answer whether I want to eliminate the Official Record Keeper position.

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 8, 2016 -> 09:52 AM)
I think it will be late. NC/FL would be decisive, but both will be close and Florida doesn't call early usually. That said, we have had a large amount of early voting which perhaps means we get through counts earlier?

I think we don't know before midnight.

OTOH Hispanic early vote in Florida was up bigly and Broward is seeing voting at a pace that will break their turnout record by 1PM. If some of the Latino-focused polling firms are correct and the rest of the national polling firms were seriously undercounting the Latino vote this year, it could be over fairly early. All just guess work though and we'll know how much that's worth in less than 12 hours.

QUOTE (shysocks @ Nov 8, 2016 -> 09:55 AM)
Why am I voting for 100 judges whose names I have never heard? It's bizarre. I had a printout from my wife from a law group about who was qualified but even that was 95% Yes to 5% No.

I also enjoyed voting for an unopposed Official Record Keeper, and then later having to answer whether I want to eliminate the Official Record Keeper position.

I can't stand that we vote for judges. It is impossible to have any assessment of them.

Voting for judges is pretty dumb. That's almost impossible to keep track of. Cook County actually has bar associations that endorse, I went by what the Maryland State Bar Association recommended and they say retain all judges for continuity so that's what I did.