2016 Presidential Election Thread

Quin

QUOTE (raBBit @ Nov 9, 2016 -> 08:11 PM)
As President Trump would say, "I know it, he knows it, we all know it." Do you have a source though?

No. To a person who's already on the edge that doesn't matter. This country is now run by the bullies they can barely take on a normal day.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If they do any crazy stuff with abortion, gay rights, race or other social issues, I bet the protests will be just like what we saw for those police shootings but a lot worse. I can't see him winning again if he doesn't do what he says or if there isn't something done to "better the country." I hope and pray that the government won't do anything too harmful and that the army of people that don't agree will take action so that don't have something like this happen again.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Nov 9, 2016 -> 06:05 PM)
Jesus. And still, neither candidate broached the mental health issue in this country in the debates.

Or the environment. That's a couple key issues that should have come up and didn't. For all the talk about physical health care (which is indeed important), ignoring mental health and environmental health (as it effects people especially) seems to have missed the boat.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Nov 9, 2016 -> 03:22 PM)
How about making voting easier? Default to postage paid mail-in ballots. Election day on a Saturday. Same day registration process.

This is what kept me from voting. I assumed all states allowed you to register on the day-of. Although I don't think my vote for Kasich would have moved the needle enough.

Edited by ChiliIrishHammock24

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 9, 2016 -> 09:19 PM)
Or the environment. That's a couple key issues that should have come up and didn't. For all the talk about physical health care (which is indeed important), ignoring mental health and environmental health (as it effects people especially) seems to have missed the boat.

Talk now of Sarah Palin becoming head of the Interior Department. Once the mines are in the Grand Canyon we'll just get used to it.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Nov 9, 2016 -> 08:11 PM)
As President Trump would say, "I know it, he knows it, we all know it." Do you have a source though?

Telling people that it will be ok and they shouldn't be terrified because the White Supremacist on his way to the white house didn't focus that much hate on this particular minority is not going to get a receptive response from anyone.

It doesn't even have to be legislative. If someone gets beaten up for being in the bathroom and an undocumented immigrant sells pot in colorado, which do you think Giuliani's DOJ is going to go after?

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Nov 10, 2016 -> 08:07 AM)
If Florida's under water, parts of California will likely be under water as well.

Not substantially. California has an active margin coastline - the slopes are much steeper in California, most of the coastline is bounded by a sea cliff created by the ocean eroding recently uplifted rock. Increasing sea level will cause substantial beach erosion and the harbors will have to adjust their position but very little of the population will be displaced.

As a white male who makes decent coin, I personally really have nothing to fear. But I want to f***ing throw up today. Things I am most worried about 2 days later:

• The US Tech Industry Leaving
  • The Fact that Trump Believes in "Clean" Coal
  • People Who Had Health Coverage Suddenly Losing It
  • Abortion Rights
  • LGBT Rights
  • Minority Rights
  • Everything

Vice News Tonight yesterday covered the election results. They covered a woman in Ohio who "couldn't stand to vote for either candidate". She just loves Obama and Obamacare saved her when she had a child 1 year earlier. Without Obamacare, she'd be nowhere. The point being, she saw no reason to vote for what actually mattered to her because she was so uneducated. What part of increased minimum wage and healthcare made these people feel like they were being ignored? Do they really think MINING JOBS are the f***ing answer?

I also saw a fantastic article about Google and Facebook's algorithms being a huge reason why the election swung to Trump. Facebook and Google feed you what you WANT to see in your newsfeed and not-so-organic results by understanding what you click on and what interests you.

So the uneducated who think that Hillary is a criminal or that Obama isn't American will just keep seeing the same s*** over-and-over-and-over. And when they turn on the evening news, instead of seeing anything with substance, they see Trump spouting off about Crooked Hillary and no coverage of the issues whatsoever.

Now we are left with, and I am not exaggerating, a Presidency that could set us back decades and leave my kid and her kids picking up the pieces.

Edited by Steve9347

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 10, 2016 -> 06:35 AM)
Talk now of Sarah Palin becoming head of the Interior Department. Once the mines are in the Grand Canyon we'll just get used to it.

Yep, he's draining the swamp, and what's coming up is swamp things. Guiliani, Gingrich, Christie, now the meth head Sarah Palin.

I just wonder how many years it will take cleaning up their 4 years of damage.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Nov 10, 2016 -> 06:19 AM)
As a white male who makes decent coin, I personally really have nothing to fear.

And

Vice News Tonight yesterday covered the election results. They covered a woman in Ohio who "couldn't stand to vote for either candidate". She just loves Obama and Obamacare saved her when she had a child 1 year earlier. Without Obamacare, she'd be nowhere. The point being, she saw no reason to vote for what actually mattered to her because she was so uneducated. What part of increased minimum wage and healthcare made these people feel like they were being ignored?

I also saw a fantastic article about Google and Facebook's algorithms being a huge reason why the election swung to Trump. Facebook and Google feed you what you WANT to see in your newsfeed and not-so-organic results by understanding what you click on and what interests you.

Interesting link.

I'm amazed by people who don't vote for what is best for them. I know several people who have kids with pretty serious health conditions that have bought into the anti-Obama care stuff.

And then there are the people whose whole basis for voting is one issue - guns or abortion stand out. Two issues that have had very little movement for years and won't again.

QUOTE (Middle Buffalo @ Nov 10, 2016 -> 02:47 PM)
Interesting link.

I'm amazed by people who don't vote for what is best for them. I know several people who have kids with pretty serious health conditions that have bought into the anti-Obama care stuff.

And then there are the people whose whole basis for voting is one issue - guns or abortion stand out. Two issues that have had very little movement for years and won't again.

Most of my wife's coworkers voted for Trump because Hillary was going to confiscate all the guns in America.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Nov 10, 2016 -> 07:19 AM)
As a white male who makes decent coin, I personally really have nothing to fear. But I want to f***ing throw up today. Things I am most worried about 2 days later:

• The US Tech Industry Leaving
  • The Fact that Trump Believes in "Clean" Coal
  • People Who Had Health Coverage Suddenly Losing It
  • Abortion Rights
  • LGBT Rights
  • Minority Rights
  • Everything

Vice News Tonight yesterday covered the election results. They covered a woman in Ohio who "couldn't stand to vote for either candidate". She just loves Obama and Obamacare saved her when she had a child 1 year earlier. Without Obamacare, she'd be nowhere. The point being, she saw no reason to vote for what actually mattered to her because she was so uneducated. What part of increased minimum wage and healthcare made these people feel like they were being ignored? Do they really think MINING JOBS are the f***ing answer?

So the uneducated who think that Hillary is a criminal or that Obama isn't American will just keep seeing the same s*** over-and-over-and-over. And when they turn on the evening news, instead of seeing anything with substance, they see Trump spouting off about Crooked Hillary and no coverage of the issues whatsoever.

Now we are left with, and I am not exaggerating, a Presidency that could set us back decades and leave my kid and her kids picking up the pieces.

ss2k, didnt we have a discussion about this months ago?

QUOTE (CrimsonWeltall @ Nov 10, 2016 -> 07:52 AM)
Most of my wife's coworkers voted for Trump because Hillary was going to confiscate all the guns in America.

Ironically enough, Hillary being elected would have been a boom for the gun industry, now its going to be way down.

Soothing kids' fears about a Donald Trump presidency

en Sweety Agrawal told her daughter that Donald Trump won the presidency, the second-grader asked if their family would have to move.

"I asked her, 'Why do you think we'd have to move?' And she said, 'Because we're brown and that means Trump could hurt us,'" said Agrawal, who lives in Chicago's South Loop neighborhood with her husband and daughters, 8 and 9. "It was very hard not to go into tears with that one."

Agrawal and her husband, Rishi, are both of Indian descent. They've spent the months leading up to Tuesday's election conscious that their skin color makes them seem suspect to many of Trump's supporters.

"We're Hindu," she said. "But people don't understand what a Hindu looks like versus what a Muslim looks like. If you look different, that's the issue."

Across the country Wednesday, parents found themselves grappling with how to explain Trump's victory to children who spent the past year listening to grown-ups bemoan the way the president-elect demeaned women, bullied his competitors — both Republican and Democratic — and ridiculed immigrants and people of color.

This same sentiment has been echoed already by all of my teacher family members. This is basically my wife's outlook right now to a t, and it's something I'm struggling to come around to right now.

"I told kids today, and I mean it sincerely, we can override negativity," Duffy said. "When we're acting out of fear, the wrong things happen. When we act out of kindness, we're on the right path. I think that gives kids something to click into: 'I'm not going to be a bully.' 'I'm going to be nice to that kid in the lunchroom.'"

Agrawal said she's turning her family's conversations into a lesson in resilience.

"My daughters said, 'Does this mean I can't be president?'" she said. "I said, 'Of course you can be president. What happens when you lose? You get back up on that horse.' We are not going to run away from this kind of challenge. We are going to stay and work and make sure this kind of thing doesn't happen again."

Kids, Duffy said, may even like the idea of fashioning themselves into role models as the nation lurches forward.

"I told a middle school kid today, 'If we all are more open and kind, maybe Trump will learn to be as well,'" Duffy said. "He might have some things to teach us, and we might have some things to teach him. If enough of us act with kindness and respect, he might change too."

The odds feel long. But it's worth a shot.

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 10, 2016 -> 09:05 AM)
Yeah, I know I have had discussions about people only seeing what they want to see, and becoming dumber for it.

It's kinda different though, right? There's an element of them not knowing they are only seeing what they want to see.

I don't think people are so consciously doing it on those mediums.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 10, 2016 -> 09:05 AM)
Yeah, I know I have had discussions about people only seeing what they want to see, and becoming dumber for it.

No we had a discussion about FB news feed being one or the other and thats the only view one would see, literally. You shared an article that broke it down. I could have sworn that was you.

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 10, 2016 -> 09:09 AM)
It's kinda different though, right? There's an element of them not knowing they are only seeing what they want to see.

I don't think people are so consciously doing it on those mediums.

Well sort of. The algo is based off of clicks. But the other end of that is people on their facebook and twitter feeds are going to share whatever they share. My lefty friends are going to share lefty links, and my righty friends are going to share righty links. The information will still be there to some extent, though in limited looking they would be exposed to it less. Though I keep my feed on time line instead of headlines, so I see more than the headline group does.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 10, 2016 -> 04:05 PM)

All people have a tendency to favor sources that confirm their own views, but the problem now is that people are going to dumber and more extreme sources than ever.

You like CNN over Fox News, or the WSJ over the WaPo? I get it.

You reject all of them as shill and get your information from Breitbart, InfoWars, and Facebook? Christ.