2016 Presidential Election Thread

Quin

That's kind of an odd takeaway, that it's the insurance companies colluding to avoid paying doctors. They are colluding to help keep YOUR out of pocket costs down too. The provider have been able to charge amounts for services in the united states that are double and triple what the ame would be elsewhere. And that goes into the salaries of the providers.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Taking away the for-profit aspect of healthcare would seriously impact medical advancements. I'm all for making the cost of medical care open and more reasonable, but you really shouldn't take away that incentive.

Now, obviously on the other end, you shouldn't be able to monopolize a drug or device and charge an obscene amount either.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Nov 21, 2016 -> 07:12 PM)
Taking away the for-profit aspect of healthcare would seriously impact medical advancements. I'm all for making the cost of medical care open and more reasonable, but you really shouldn't take away that incentive.

Now, obviously on the other end, you shouldn't be able to monopolize a drug or device and charge an obscene amount either.

In a perfect world the bag of ice treatment is 2 bucks, not 40. My cholesterol blood tests 550 bucks? Cmon. Like I said 50 bucks tops. How long does it even take the lab to test?

Here's a good one of health care bulls***. Five or so years ago I got dehydrated or something and kept having dizzy attacks. They hooked up one of those heart monitors to me for 2 days where I couldn't even take it off to shower. So I turn the monitor in and gawd only knows what that cost my insurance company, but I never even got the results. The heart doc office never called me, nothing. I figured I must be OK. I never saw the results. The dizzyness went away after a bit. I don't even know what it was but they did a CAT scan as well. But cmon. Our health care is so bad I wear the monitor 2 days and the doc office doesn't even have the courtesy to tell me if I'm OK or dying.

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ Nov 21, 2016 -> 10:18 AM)
I had shoulder surgery in February, followed by 4 months of physical therapy. Got one of the bills and they charged $40 for ice. $40!

It was covered, so I didn't bother fighting it, but I asked my therapist why they charge just to ice my shoulder.

What she explained was, the insurance companies refuse to pay or "negotiate" down the price so much that places have to find ways to charge to make the money they should be making.

So, as someone said before, health insurance shouldn't have been for profit to begin with. Don't blame the lab for trying to get their employees paid. Blame the insurance companies for colluding to only charge what they think it's worth.

I've always heard that hospitals charge so much to make up for the people that come in to the ER off the street, get treated for whatever and then disappear and never pay their bill.

They are also making up for things that aren't covered by insurance. A speaker at a seminar I was at last summer was talking about analytics in medicine and using that to drive what doctors order or are allowed to order. His lab had to charge 50 dollars for a 6 dollar CBC to make up for genomic testing and other tests that doctors order that he wasn't going to get any money back for.

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Nov 21, 2016 -> 01:33 PM)
I've always heard that hospitals charge so much to make up for the people that come in to the ER off the street, get treated for whatever and then disappear and never pay their bill.

Hospitals also bill incorrectly so often because people are lazy or arent exact when putting in billing codes. In another life I was called into a large hospital system in CA and they had entire departments who were hitting the "General treatment" key for every patient which messed up their billing system for years and millions of dollars. It was a disaster that caused a train wreck from the bottom up.

QUOTE (Brian @ Nov 28, 2016 -> 12:00 PM)
I keep thinking nothing will come of this recount stuff but this cycle has just been so bizarre, out there, and annoying that I don't know what to think.

Agreed. I don't think anything comes of it, but then again I didn't expect any of this election to play out as it did.

I'm guessing the next move is that Pence becomes president in a year or two, due to a number of possible scenarios.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Nov 28, 2016 -> 03:30 PM)
Agreed. I don't think anything comes of it, but then again I didn't expect any of this election to play out as it did.

I'm guessing the next move is that Pence becomes president in a year or two, due to a number of possible scenarios.

25th Amendment, Section 4

http://theweek.com/speedreads/664168/keith...re-donald-trump

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Nov 28, 2016 -> 01:30 PM)

Pence would be as bad, if not worse, than crooked Trump.

Pence as president would lead to a insurrection from Trump voters who wanted to drain the swamp and ended up with a typical Republican "social values/military first" leader.

Great for the Dems in 2020, perhaps safer for the world but perhaps hard to say if it would be better for the country or nor. Tough choice. It would be an an interesting battle, with Pence hemmed in on both sides but technically in country of every wing of the US government, including the Supreme Court. The biggest Roe v. Wade challenge would be coming, at a time when the economy is 10x more important to 85-90% of the country.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Nov 28, 2016 -> 06:05 PM)
Insurrection? Doubtful. They are silent as he refills the swamp.

When working class voters start deciding if they like the "replaced Obamacare," and their new tax rates/disposable income, then we'll have a bit clearer picture.

Of course, immigration was the single biggest issue for Trump, along with trade, so he'll have to toss them some type of red meat in the first 2 years. Mitt Romney as SoS will not be it.

I guess the other issue is waiting for the actual confirmation hearings themselves in the New Year, and seeing which candidates the Dems go after the most. Right now, Sessions is the most obvious flashpoint, and CIA/Pompeo, although senators typically don't like to go after one of their own (unless they're the opposing party). Petraeus hearings could be interesting as well, if that's the pick. Ben Carson, if he's nominated. The typical arguments with DeVos about school choice/voucher programs that have been going on for 20-30 years. But my intuition says they'll really pinpoint the 2-3 most egregious and go after them.

Edited by caulfield12

• 1 month later...

America's status: 'saved'

Never in doubt from June 2015 on.

the Boss overcame 18 months' worth of wall-to-wall Orwellian propaganda + massive Dem voter-fraud + lack of conventional groundgame, ads, money, etc

"Darth Voldermort McHitler" will be an amazing President. yay!

Best part? Some of the most effective "pandering, urgent" lines in the final stretch of the campaign that won over key demos in swing states

( "Save America....

"this is it, one last chance"..

.won't touch SS & Medicare for our wonderful seniors...

no WW3 with Russia"

preserve freedom of religion...speech...free internet for my Millenials"

mexican drug epidemic + 20 trillion dollar debt consigning our daughters & granddaughters to a dark, hopeless future"

etc, etc, etc)

-----> were in part courtesy of yours truly. Miller, Bannon, KA et al notwithstanding

not my field at all; just couldn't stay on the sidelines.

so when a couple of friends asked...had to help save America from the impending hellish nightmare Kenyan traitor & Grandma Nixon, Soros-Alinsky pedo-satanists, et al conspired to create.

truest story, haha

considering how razor tight the race was in MI, WI, PA, & FL (they love their SS & Medicare in FL, amirite?)..

....that existentially-urgent, laser-focused messaging might have made all the difference

Feels fantastic :)

#SaveAmerica

#MAGA

https://www.instagram.com/p/BPgWi9iBsOD/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iotk6ES3ToY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoKnfWhdqDw

QUOTE (L. Ron Paultard @ Jan 22, 2017 -> 12:36 AM)

America's status: 'saved'

Never in doubt from June 2015 on.

the Boss overcame 18 months' worth of wall-to-wall Orwellian propaganda + massive Dem voter-fraud + lack of conventional groundgame, ads, money, etc

"Darth Voldermort McHitler" will be an amazing President. yay!

Best part? Some of the most effective "pandering, urgent" lines in the final stretch of the campaign that won over key demos in swing states

( "Save America....

"this is it, one last chance"..

.won't touch SS & Medicare for our wonderful seniors...

no WW3 with Russia"

preserve freedom of religion...speech...free internet for my Millenials"

mexican drug epidemic + 20 trillion dollar debt consigning our daughters & granddaughters to a dark, hopeless future"

etc, etc, etc)

-----> were in part courtesy of yours truly. Miller, Bannon, KA et al notwithstanding

not my field at all; just couldn't stay on the sidelines.

so when a couple of friends asked...had to help save America from the impending hellish nightmare Kenyan traitor & Grandma Nixon, Soros-Alinsky pedo-satanists, et al conspired to create.

truest story, haha

considering how razor tight the race was in MI, WI, PA, & FL (they love their SS & Medicare in FL, amirite?)..

....that existentially-urgent, laser-focused messaging might have made all the difference

Feels fantastic :)

#SaveAmerica

#MAGA

https://www.instagram.com/p/BPgWi9iBsOD/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iotk6ES3ToY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoKnfWhdqDw

Lol...that same deficit that is projected to have another $7 trillion added by Trump?

Interesting for the first time in eight years there's no longer talk about fiscal responsibility and balancing the budget coming from Republicans. Oh, but you get access to the health care market but only if you have enough money because all the rates will go up 25-50% with 32 million disappearing from the rolls...or you'll be left with a bare bones policy that only is helpful in a dire emergency but not very practical for a growing middle class family.

And glad to know the Republicans under Herbert Hoover, oops McCain and Romney, would have made the Great Recession into Great Depression II by not doing anything, letting banks (unless they're run by your hunting buddies) and automakers go bankrupt and creating a spiral effect in terms of unemployment and economic carnage by refusing to use government stimulus spending, the same exact thing that China did. Obviously private industry with no regulations was fully capable of solving all the problems themselves.