NLCS: Cubs vs Dodgers

Panerista

• Replies 944
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 22, 2016 -> 10:49 PM)
Not total luck. You guys despise Ozzie but he did a helluva job managing that team and not yanking starters when they were hot and overmanaging.

Also we had very very good starting pitching and played clean baseball and had some big hits. All those games against the Astros were clean and close and we had a deserving team. Never forget how we dominated the postseason. It wasn't luck.

However ... I do agree with much of what you said.

The bullpen was lucky for sure. A lot of retread vets had great years like Dye and Everett as well. I never wanted Ozzie gone.

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Oct 23, 2016 -> 04:56 AM)
well the dodgers are a dreadful baseball team

thanks for f***ing nothing

go indians

You are right. The Dodgers really looked like a flawed ballclub. You know, everybody besides the Cubs this postseason has looked like a pretty ordinary roster. Maybe the Sox just need a good manager or some magic to contend. Dodgers and Giants had nothing special on the mound or in the field. Conor Gillaspie? The stiffs the Dodgers were sending to the plate and pitching? I wish we had a special manager. We don't.

QUOTE (soxforlife05 @ Oct 23, 2016 -> 05:11 AM)
The bullpen was lucky for sure. A lot of retread vets had great years like Dye and Everett as well. I never wanted Ozzie gone.

Cmon I hate what's happened to the White Sox, but the 05 Sox were not lucky in any way. It was one of the most dominant performances in postseason history as a matter of fact. Luck had NOTHING to do with it. Far from it. We dominated.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Oct 23, 2016 -> 12:27 AM)
I actually respect him for admitting it.

This is the best one yet. Girl who looked to be in her early twenties starts crying about how she has been waiting for this her whole life. I thought about the 80 year old who also has been waiting. Shut up lady. Haha

Edited by whitesoxjr27

QUOTE (whitesoxjr27 @ Oct 23, 2016 -> 12:32 AM)
This is the best one yet. Girl who looked to be in her early twenties starts crying about how she has been waiting for this her whole life. I thought about the 80 year old who also has been waiting. Shut up lady. Haha

Yeah its really not tears/crying, "been waiting my whole life" worthy unless you're at least in your 40s haha this girl hasn't suffered long like many.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (whitesoxjr27 @ Oct 23, 2016 -> 05:32 AM)

Geez, that's pathetic. Chicago really has turned around the city of losers thing. With the Cubs now, and the Blackhawks having all those titles/parades and the White Sox winning 11 years ago and the Bears still having a title in modern history and the Bulls having all those titles in modern history, Chicago has turned it around nicely compared to before 85 when the Bears busted the city of losers image.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Oct 23, 2016 -> 12:34 AM)
Yeah its really not tears/crying, "been waiting my whole life" worthy unless you're at least in your 40s haha this girl hasn't suffered long like many.

I had people saying they waited all their lives for last year. So, reaching the NLCS.

Or another started crying when she became a fan...three years ago.

QUOTE (whitesoxjr27 @ Oct 22, 2016 -> 10:32 PM)

Her first memory in life could be her 4 year old self going to see games with her dad... she could have been going to games with her family for the past 20 years... who knows.

I remember being at the ALCS clinching game between the white sox and angels in 05. I was emotionally effected, without a doubt. It made me recall seeing probably 65+ white sox games over the previous 15+ years at the big A with my dad - most of which were beat downs by the angels.

I'm happy for Cubs fans and am sure it's a cathartic time for them.

That said, I hope they lose and shed more tears. Doubt it... because I do think the Cubs are way better than the Indians... but there's still hope for more cubbie tears. :lol:

QUOTE (soxforlife05 @ Oct 22, 2016 -> 11:11 PM)

Sure, Politte didn's sustain his success.

But Cotts has had a long career, Marte was one the best lefty set-up guys in the league until 2015, Hermanson was originally a very high draft pick of the Expos, Jenks always had a ton of talent...Vizcaino and ElDuque were the very back end that year. They started with Takatsu before his one act frisbee stopped collecting gongs.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 22, 2016 -> 10:28 PM)
You are right. The Dodgers really looked like a flawed ballclub. You know, everybody besides the Cubs this postseason has looked like a pretty ordinary roster. Maybe the Sox just need a good manager or some magic to contend. Dodgers and Giants had nothing special on the mound or in the field. Conor Gillaspie? The stiffs the Dodgers were sending to the plate and pitching? I wish we had a special manager. We don't.

Nationals might have given them a run, but they had some key injuries.

And, I agree. The Sox roster is very close to the Dodgers and Giants.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 22, 2016 -> 11:41 PM)
but not sustainable

Fowler and Cespedes will likely attract multi year offers, and the logic of having Jansen and Robertson and Jones and Burdi only works with a $150-175 million payroll, not $125

they're better off operating like the Marlins and waiting for a deep-pocketed investor group

Well yea that's why I said if they had the financial resources of the Cubs and a similar payroll, which they don't

Honest question: I was busy this week so didn't see much of this series. B this whole "Buck loves Kershaw" thing is overblown, right? Like, Kershaw is the greatest pitcher on the planet and in the conversation for greatest of all time. Not to mention, Buck seemed to praise people like Baez plenty too.

I'm curious as to how much of it is standard "local fans are annoyed at national broadcaster's praise of opposing star player" and how much of it was an actual unusual amount of praise.

QUOTE (3GamesToLove @ Oct 23, 2016 -> 10:40 AM)
Honest question: I was busy this week so didn't see much of this series. B this whole "Buck loves Kershaw" thing is overblown, right? Like, Kershaw is the greatest pitcher on the planet and in the conversation for greatest of all time. Not to mention, Buck seemed to praise people like Baez plenty too.

I'm curious as to how much of it is standard "local fans are annoyed at national broadcaster's praise of opposing star player" and how much of it was an actual unusual amount of praise.

The Cub fans are just looking for any reason to complain about him because he is the Cardinals broadcaster.

He, and media as a whole, have been particularly favorable towards to Cubs during both of their last two playoff runs.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Oct 23, 2016 -> 12:45 PM)
The Cub fans are just looking for any reason to complain about him because he is the Cardinals broadcaster.

He, and media as a whole, have been particularly favorable towards to Cubs during both of their last two playoff runs.

Buck hasn't worked for the Cardinals for almost a decade, but I get your point.

Edited by 3GamesToLove

QUOTE (iamshack @ Oct 23, 2016 -> 10:45 AM)

As a Sox fan who is not happy when the Cubs win, I feel like he's somewhat biased against the Cubs.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Oct 23, 2016 -> 10:45 AM)

How can Cubs fans complain about anything? They're "America's Team" and you cannot hide from them. They make the news all over the country, social media feeds are bombarded with Cubs comments, and every post season game is played during prime time. Heck, without looking, has any other playoff team in recent years had every single game in prime time? Seems like at least one or two games for even the elite franchises gets a day game in the mix.

Edited by BigSqwert