Chris Getz to take over player development

southsider2k5

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So let's recap shall we?

Rick Renteria named manager (part of "the family")

Capra and Hasler named big league coaches (part of "the family")

Now Getz (with all of TWO YEARS experience) is named Director of Player Development (oh yes, he's a former player and part of "the family!")

It's like the Sox have a total repulsion with bringing in ANYONE who hasn't had a connection with the organization.

All you can do now is shake your head...the jokes write themselves. According to a lot of knowledgeable folks here this position is important, the Sox desperately need their farm system to start producing and they hire a guy with two years experience for it.

OK then... :huh:

Mark

Things that haven't worked for the Chicago White Sox:

Hiring inexperienced, first timers into jobs that typically require experience, just because they used to play for the club.

YEAH LET'S KEEP DOING THAT!

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Oct 16, 2016 -> 06:38 PM)
I don't think it is but I definitely thinks this unfair to criticize a move and it's process, when you don't know the happenings behind the scenes.

If you think this is a bad move, please name me someone who you would like instead.

If you think this is a good move, please explain why you think Getz deserves the job.

Regardless of anyone's political ideology, (and about 70% -80% of white guys including myself are Republican) President Obama has done nothing but honor the White Sox since he was elected as Illinois Senator and as our President. Mocking him is pretty cheap and I would say, that makes more of a statement about those who feel they need to do it.

With that out of the way, I actually met Chris Getz father at the first game he played in Chicago. He had a couple of family members there as I recall. They scooted down to the clubhouse after the game to congratulate him.

It was pretty apparent that Chris had some great parents. He was a star in high school and played some outstanding baseball in College.

I think those who criticize this pick are the same people here that criticize anything and everything they can. Meanwhile they have no idea what the vetting process was and why the decision was made to hire Getz. this is a position in a baseball organization, not head of NASA.

And Getz has been out of the Sox organization for about 7 years.

Maybe watch the Cubz tonight if you are feeling that hostile toward the White Sox. ....or Obama. Sheesh..

http://kingsofkauffman.com/2014/11/21/chri...turning-royals/

This is the original argument for why the Royals hired him...

When Chris Getz decided to call it a career last summer, retiring after the Toronto Blue Jays sought to send him back to AAA. It was expected that, almost the moment that Getz retired, Dayton Moore would be on the phone, talking to him about a role somewhere within the organization. After all, that scrappy little player who built a major league career despite not having any close to elite skills could end up as a solid coach or manager some day.

Sure enough, the Royals did come calling. And now, Getz is back in the organization, accepting a job to be a part of the Royals player personnel and development department.

“They offered me a position that was ideal and would expose me to the other side of the game, in all areas,” Getz said.

This position certainly appears as though it would be perfect for Chris Getz. Not blessed with the most skill or blazing speed or the ability to drive the ball for any real power, Getz still managed to post a career a .250/.307/.305 batting line, stealing 89 bases in 107 attempts. Getz was, pure and simple, a ball player who played the game hard and played the right way.

It may be that Getz will be able to impart that hard work and dedication to the Royals minor leaguers. Even if they are not the most naturally talented players in the system or on the team, they can look at Getz and see that he had a major league career. In turn, Getz can teach the minor leaguers to play the game the right way.

Chris Getz, during his career, appeared to be the type of player who could be a future coach or manager, or perhaps a roving instructor in the minor leagues. Now, Getz is fulfilling that destiny.

I guess this makes sense, if you're looking at the "new type of hitters" that were drafted in 2016 under Hostetler...with the concentration or focus on getting "already productive/refined players" rather than raw talents with potential.

The concern is that all of the players in the current system, other than this draft class...were selected more in the "athletic talent who could be great or totally flop" system that saw us drafting Thompson, Anderson and Hawkins, among others.

So who's going to work with those players, the Micker Adolfo's, Hawkinses or Keon Barnum's of the world??

And yeah, this is the type of position that TYPICALLY someone has at least 5 years or more of minor league experience, but 10-15 years and above is more the norm.

I was so pissed when I initially saw this news. But once I found out that he was in the Royals FO for a couple years (actually has experience), and saw some tweets from baseball industry people who said is extremely well liked by both FO and players, which is apparently rare because most players dislike FO people, then I was feeling better about this.

I guess overall I would say I'm indifferent. Doesn't seem awful, but doesn't really excite me either.

It's amusing that less than two years ago that article opined his future "ceiling" might be a roving instructor in the minor leagues (if he didn't become a manager), and here he already is IN CHARGE OF ALL ROVING INSTRUCTORS, as well helping to implement pitching, hitting and defensive strategies of a system-wide basis.

Looks like the White Sox are the best team for former players to come to for a promotion!!

Unfortunately, arguably the best instructional coach of all the former Sox players, Rusty Kuntz, never found his way back to Chicago.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 16, 2016 -> 08:15 PM)
So really, that pretty much means there would be a problem with just about any hire, unless it was some guy who was a farm director of another organization churning out talent. those guys generally don't move to the same job in other organizations. Getz did play here, but he has been trained by KC. Only a couple of years, so we will see. Obviously they liked the way he answered some questions. Personally, I don't know what to think. I am not at all familiar with his eye for talent and philosophy. I do think if he never played for the White Sox, and had the same experience, not as many would be dismayed.

I also like that they hired a guy that has zero ties to any current minor leaguer. I do think that it is natural to give many players the benefit of the doubt they don't deserve when you have ties to them.

I agree with this. Most of the complaining has to do with the fact that he's a former Sox player. I'm guessing many organizations are filled with former players throughout. Nobody really has any idea, or basis, to applaud or criticize the hire. The mentality is, ex-Sox player = bad hire. That's just not true and short-sighted.