Weekly White Sox Farm system update

NorthSideSox72

This offseason, we are going to experiment with doing a weekly News and Notes type column. As there is plenty going on, but not a lot on any one day, this seems like the best way to consolidate all the news - transactions, offseason league performances, links to related stories, etc.

Here is the first edition.

Tell us what you think! Anything you think we should change or add? The plan is for these to come out around the beginning of each week.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 17, 2016 -> 12:37 PM)
This offseason, we are going to experiment with doing a weekly News and Notes type column. As there is plenty going on, but not a lot on any one day, this seems like the best way to consolidate all the news - transactions, offseason league performances, links to related stories, etc.

Here is the first edition.

Tell us what you think! Anything you think we should change or add? The plan is for these to come out around the beginning of each week.

One thing that I would recommend is putting a list of the players and their slashlines at top of article and then the narrative underneath. For me, it's easier to digest, as I like to pick and choose who I'm following anyway. Small recommendation not a big deal.

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 17, 2016 -> 01:46 PM)
One thing that I would recommend is putting a list of the players and their slashlines at top of article and then the narrative underneath. For me, it's easier to digest, as I like to pick and choose who I'm following anyway. Small recommendation not a big deal.

Good call, thanks!

Blurb from Eric Longenhagen's Fall League Superlatives article:

White Sox LHP Louie Lechich, a converted outfielder, has only been pitching in games since July 28th and is already flashing a plus changeup…

QUOTE (Dunt @ Oct 17, 2016 -> 03:43 PM)
Blurb from Eric Longenhagen's Fall League Superlatives article:

White Sox LHP Louie Lechich, a converted outfielder, has only been pitching in games since July 28th and is already flashing a plus changeup…

That echoes the 2080 report linked from the article. Fastball is 87-92 but with life, and he can already command it. Change-up showing plus. Slider showing potential. Already has good overall command and repeatability. Should get stronger as he adjusts to pitching.

He may be a legitimate prospect. It's way early, but it's very impressive he's done what he has so far in such a short period.

QUOTE (flavum @ Oct 25, 2016 -> 05:16 PM)
Courtney Hawkins turns 23 in a few weeks. He's probably a release candidate if he's reached the point of having to be added to the 40-man.

Why? It isn't like someone is going to take him the Rule 5 or something. There is no onus to release him.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 25, 2016 -> 05:45 PM)
Why? It isn't like someone is going to take him the Rule 5 or something. There is no onus to release him.

Let's put it this way, he's not good enough to add to the 40-man. If he has the option to become a free agent, they should let him.

QUOTE (flavum @ Oct 25, 2016 -> 05:58 PM)
Let's put it this way, he's not good enough to add to the 40-man. If he has the option to become a free agent, they should let him.

Dude is going to make like 30 or 40k if he isn't on the 40 man, maybe less. I still don't see what the big deal is. He isn't blocking anyone, and he isn't holding a 40 man roster spot.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 25, 2016 -> 06:04 PM)
Dude is going to make like 30 or 40k if he isn't on the 40 man, maybe less. I still don't see what the big deal is. He isn't blocking anyone, and he isn't holding a 40 man roster spot.

Um yeah, I get he can stay and toil at AA again. Point is, he's not worthy of adding to the 40-man if it's that time. Release him, expose him to other teams, let him be a free agent, whatever.

There is no reason to release Hawkins. He's still 22/23, and a gamble on his very long shot is still better than a number of other outfielders in the system.

That said, if some team wants to do a failed for failed trade, change of scenery, sure. Go for it.

As a prospect he's virtually done. But he's not a Rule 5 risk, and he's not a minor league FA for another season or two. Might as well give him one more look in AA.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 25, 2016 -> 10:22 PM)
There is no reason to release Hawkins. He's still 22/23, and a gamble on his very long shot is still better than a number of other outfielders in the system.

That said, if some team wants to do a failed for failed trade, change of scenery, sure. Go for it.

As a prospect he's virtually done. But he's not a Rule 5 risk, and he's not a minor league FA for another season or two. Might as well give him one more look in AA.

Rather give him a shot on the mound then try and and trade him.

His mlb.com draft profile said - "The young man also can pitch, carrying a 5-2 record with a 0.96 ERA, 57 strikeouts over 36 1/3 innings and a velocity ranging from 92-96 mph when he pitched Carroll to a regional championship."

With the success some position players have had transitioning into pitching, Santos, Jansen, Lehich, it would be worth a try to salvage some value.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Oct 31, 2016 -> 01:04 PM)

His mlb.com draft profile said - "The young man also can pitch, carrying a 5-2 record with a 0.96 ERA, 57 strikeouts over 36 1/3 innings and a velocity ranging from 92-96 mph when he pitched Carroll to a regional championship."

With the success some position players have had transitioning into pitching, Santos, Jansen, Lehich, it would be worth a try to salvage some value.

Honestly not a bad idea at some point.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Oct 31, 2016 -> 01:12 PM)
Honestly not a bad idea at some point.

Yeah that's maybe not a bad idea, given his struggles.

Would you mind if I used this idea for an article on FutureSox?

I'd like to credit you with the idea, so can you PM me your actual name? Maybe twitter handle? Thanks!