Jose Abreu NEEDS to be Traded (Merge if need be)

Carpe Diem

I agree he may be more valuable to us as a DH than trying to sell him to a team that has soured on his defense (unless a team that can play him at first is willing to play him there and take the good with the bad.

Edit: however, you have to listen to any and everything.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Oct 20, 2016 -> 09:26 PM)
He could get hurt this year and never play again. Is it really worth risking $25M to MAYBE make an extra $2M next year? I wouldn't think so. It would make a lot more sense to opt out after next year.

Yep, this is the big thing. With his skill set, his downside risk is actually pretty significant, while he upside isn't, at least right now. He'd have to go past his 2014 output to really get into big profit territory.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Oct 20, 2016 -> 01:05 PM)
Not only an average DH, but any kind of average bat, to be honest.

We can't afford to be giving away productive bats for any reason right now, save some overwhelming offer.

If he didn't struggle in the first half, where it seemed that he was fighting a nagging injury, his OPS probably would've ended up around .850 or so. So I don't see a skill erosion (yet), but one knock against Jose going forward is that he hates DHing.

I also wonder about the accuracy of his age. Cuba is not known for its accurate record-keeping.

QUOTE (Black_Jack29 @ Oct 21, 2016 -> 10:44 AM)
If he didn't struggle in the first half, where it seemed that he was fighting a nagging injury, his OPS probably would've ended up around .850 or so. So I don't see a skill erosion (yet), but one knock against Jose going forward is that he hates DHing.

I also wonder about the accuracy of his age. Cuba is not known for its accurate record-keeping.

What's interesting is that he dealt with said leg injury for the entire season. Perhaps it was less of a problem in the 2nd half, but it's still incredible that he had the 2nd half he did with that injury. Hitting on a bad leg has horrible effects on power.

A strong DH can still offer a ton of value. If you believe in the second half Jose, he is worth 3-4 wins (even as a full time DH). If you think he's more like the first half Jose, then yea he has negative value. I tend to think the first half Jose is the outlier and the other 2.5 seasons are the Jose to expect over the next 3 years.