World Series: Indians vs. Cubs

LittleHurt05

QUOTE (hi8is @ Nov 3, 2016 -> 12:44 AM)
I'm not sure what's been worst tonight... the Cubs winning - or my ex wife being a raging b**** and beginning to text me after they won.

😆

My good cubs friends who are Baseball fans and can discuss the White Sox with me without getting mad are telling me I know how you feel now when you won in 2005.

Edited by whitesoxjr27

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I became so much more calm about the Cubs winning once Chapman blew the game and I knew he couldn't get the save. Once Edwards came in, I knew that woman-beating f*** face couldn't be hailed as a hero and I was totally content.

Now their lovable loser narrative is finally over and they can just be another team like the Red Sox have become.

QUOTE (whitesoxjr27 @ Nov 2, 2016 -> 10:45 PM)
My good cubs friends who are Baseball fans and can discuss the White Sox with me without getting mad are telling me I know how you feel now when you won in 2005.

I'm happy for those types of fans and others like David Ross. So many others thou - own a place of hate in my soul right now. f***ing Chapman 😡 Edit: Shauber too.

Edited by hi8is

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Nov 3, 2016 -> 06:53 AM)
I became so much more calm about the Cubs winning once Chapman blew the game and I knew he couldn't get the save. Once Edwards came in, I knew that woman-beating f*** face couldn't be hailed as a hero and I was totally content.

Now their lovable loser narrative is finally over and they can just be another team like the Red Sox have become.

Totally agree, and was also happy it wasn't Strop or Arrieta on the mound. Also was happy it wasn't a homer that scored winning run

Doesn't hurt like i thought it would. Very surprising actually. Maybe it's because they don't really have a face of the franchise- nobody has been on the team more than a couple years. Rizzo maybe? And then 100s of millions in a few mercenaries. I dunno if the team is that likable. It doesn't hurt that bad. Maybe cuz they didn't really earn it the way we did.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Nov 3, 2016 -> 01:13 AM)
Doesn't hurt like i thought it would. Very surprising actually. Maybe it's because they don't really have a face of the franchise- nobody has been on the team more than a couple years. Rizzo maybe? And then 100s of millions in a few mercenaries. I dunno if the team is that likable. It doesn't hurt that bad. Maybe cuz they didn't really earn it the way we did.

you are going to get chewed up for this post

QUOTE (whitesoxjr27 @ Nov 3, 2016 -> 05:42 AM)
My grandfather who died in 1998 was a big Cubs fan but still rooted for the Sox. I feel him hear with me. I wouldn't give up those memories of going to Wrigley Field with him in the nineteen-eighties for nothing.

I like hearing this stuff.

When I played Little League from age 10 to 12, my grandpa took me to a ton of Cub games those summers. He didn't have a lot of money, either. The games were so crowded he'd buy us 2 seats together if he could but a lot of time he'd buy singles. We'd sit fairly close to each other and he'd wave to make sure I was OK.

He always bought the tickets at the game itself. I don't know if he bought 'em from fans selling or at the windows. I did like the Cubs from 10 to 12 but my dad had Sox season tix and would take me to games as well. I was more of a Sox fan, though I did like going to the Cub games with my grandpa. When we moved to suburbia when I was a junior in high school I was all Sox all the time. Dad kept the Sox season tickets and it was fun going in to games with my friends; I guess my grandpa didn't want to make the drive in from suburbia as he was growing old cause we didn't go to any more Cub games.

Anyhow I have no current loyalty to the Cubs. I wanted them to lose frankly.

I will give kudos to my grandpa who is gone and my favorite uncle who is gone.

My grandpa loved the Cubs but was such a good guy he shut up when people like my dad were screaming about Wrigley Field being a joke of a park and getting drunk and ripping on the Cubs. My grandpa just shut up. Perfect man. Didn't want to fight about politics or the Cubs/Sox.

My uncle, my dad's brother, worshiped the Cubs. He would calm my dad down when my dad would start the Cub fights. Of course my uncle was a marine and if there was a fight, he'd have bludgeoned my poor dad who was the older brother. One year when I was an adult I called my uncle and asked him if we could go to a Cub game. I wanted to see Wrigley after many moons. We went to the game. He got us seats right behind the Cubs dugout.

A Cardinal hit a home run on the first pitch then the clouds opened. A f***ing rainout. I took the train with him to the game and back home.

I hope my uncle and grandpa are made aware of the Cubs title if indeed there is a heaven or afterlife. My uncle died just this year which really sucks. We had a nice conversation about the Cubs at Christmastime and he was really hopeful of them winning a WS. I'd ask him questions about the Cubs to make small talk even though I didn't give a f***.

Really sucks he's dead. My grandpa I think was a huge Cub fan, he just didn't let on. Even when we went to the games, he didn't cheer a ton, but he damn well loved those Cubs.

In conclusion ... I could be a bandwagon guy and proclaim I was a Cub fan as a kid. I will never do that. GO SOX!!!

p.s. I do regret my grandpa burning me one time. We had a Little League game one night and he took me to the Cub game that day and there was a traffic jam after an extra inning game and I didn't get to Mt Greenwood Park til warmups had started. My manager benched my ass for being late and it was a huge huge game. He let me pinch hit in a tie game in extra innings. I drew a walk somehow (I never walked) and they bunted me to second and I scored the winning run on a single. After I scored my manager wasn't even happy he said, "if you are ever late again, you will never get in another game!"

Wild memories.

GO SOX!!

My grandpa just turned 80 and he was so happy for the Sox in 2005, despite being a diehard Cubs fans. They had brought a MLB championship to Chicago. I'm so happy that he was able to live to see this day; unlike so many others grandparents. Some of my best friends are elated and I couldn't be happier for them. There's nothing wrong with this: There are still A LOT of Sox fans. I meet them constantly it seems. We are just waiting for our day again. :)

Not feeling as upset as I thought I would...

The Cubs had to overcome the 3-1 deficit (last since 85 Royals), Cleveland crowds, Francona, Kluber, Miller (finally got to him at the end of the series), blowing a seemingly insurmountable lead with two of those runs scoring on a wild pitch, their closer blowing up (yet again) in the post-season.

The Indians had four at-bats to either walk off or go ahead and couldn't get over the hump...maybe part of it was due to the weather in the bottom of the 9th.

When they had Rajai Davis up with a chance to tie the game again, it started to dawn on me that nobody really deserved to lose that game, and that the Cubs fans didn't really deserve to be heartbroken/have heart attacks twice in the span of one game (assuming it didn't happen on the Lester WP).

Not to mention surviving Baez's insane bunt attempt with a chance to drive in the go-ahead run and Lindor's play up the middle to preserve the tie against Fowler.

This game really reinforced the impact that managers can make, especially in the post-season (although they tend to overmanage, too)...reminding of all those arguments about the coaching staff not really mattering that much over the last 4 seasons.

In the end, the heroes were guy like Ross, Zobrist and Montero (some huge hits this post-season in his likely swan song with the team)...Lester, the veteran, holding back the tide for the most part, Bryant scoring from first on the hit-and-run single. Zobrist has now been a key player on the last two World Series teams in his mid 30's and had one of the most professional at-bats in his career with that opposite field double. Plus, I think he's a Chicagoland (well, maybe an hour away) native.

The Indians just ran out of relievers (and gas) after having to use Miller and Allen so early....Shaw is just not that dominating. Pitching three times on short rest finally caught up with Kluber, and one of the few second-guess areas was Francona letting Kluber extend the lead to 4-1 on the Baez homer, but that's easy to fault in hindsight.

Still, imagine if they had a healthy Salazar, Carrasco and Brantley...There's zero doubt that team will be back again with a vengeance, led by Lindor and Kipnis up the middle.

QUOTE (fathom @ Nov 3, 2016 -> 01:40 AM)
Well thanks everyone (besides a few) for allowing myself and other Cubs haters a place to talk and rant over the last month. Been therapeutic....and at least it wasn't the Sox who lost to them :)

Yeah, honestly now that it's happened, they are just another team like the Red Sox like one poster said.

Which means I have absolutely no qualms in wanting them to be the 2007 White Sox in two years.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Oct 29, 2016 -> 10:38 PM)
It pains me to say this but it must be said now. The Cubs are going to take the next three and win it all. This series wreaks of the nba finals. Cubs ain't losin' three at wrigley. Just ain't happening. It's goin' back to Cleveland where they will unleash the loch ness monster that is Schwarber and ride their superior pitching matchups to the title. don't want it to happen. but its gonna.

Bookmarked!

Never been so sad to be so right. If not this year, it would've been next year. If not next year, the year after that. The gauntlet has been thrown. Baseball is on high alert and has been put on notice. The Cubs are here and they are going to be here for quite sometime. I've never been this shook before. #facepalm

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Nov 3, 2016 -> 04:58 AM)
Bookmarked!

Never been so sad to be so right. If not this year, it would've been next year. If not next year, the year after that. The gauntlet has been thrown. Baseball is on high alert and has been put on notice. The Cubs are here and they are going to be here for quite sometime. I've never been this shook before. #facepalm

Need the Cards, Mets, and Nats to stay healthy next year, Giants and Dodgers to get better this off-season (along with 3 above), and need the Pirates or Marlins and a rebuilding team (pick any theres like 6) to take a step forward next year. Don't want next season and post-season (besides world series) to be such an easy stroll.

"Accidentally" fell asleep putting my daughter to bed around the 5th, but woke up in time to watch the 10th with my wife. At the last out, she jumped out of bed and did a 360 two-step shimmy, lol. Good for her. Good buddy of mine is a diehard fan, spent about 5k to go to Cleveland for games 6 and 7, guess it was worth it.

Just glad its finally over, we can finally return to our everyday lives. I mean, nothing has changed, right? Wait, Donald Trump is a presidential candidate?? NO, the space-time continuum has been ruined forever!

Bookmarked!

even a broken clock is right two times a day =)

Bookmarked!

I hope you put your $ where your mouth is dude. I did pretty nice by dropping some coin after the Cubs went down 3 games to 1.

Didn't someone on here drop over 2K on the Indians last night? That has to hurt big time and was a terrible bet in retrospect. The tribe pitching looked completly out of gas the last few games.