October 26, 2005

knightni

Yeah, I wish sox were in playoffs. But nostalgia and sports go together like cookies and milk. It will be fun reliving 05 even if we have another world series next year. It seemed so impossible, baseball was the yankees winning the world series or being in the world series. We were only a few years removed from that dragon being slayed, and suddenly it was our turn.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Oct 26, 2016 -> 11:39 AM)
I'm certainly guilty of it myself, but it's kind of sad that we have to re-live moments that happened 11 years ago. I wish the Sox were good.

If you saw the opening to the World Series last night, you know that 11 years is nothing.

It's just unfortunate for you that you weren't really old enough to fully appreciate it.

Maybe again sometime...when you are 93 or something ;)

That whole postseason was great. The WS was amazing, getting it done in four. The idea of a Chicago team winning the WS was so foreign you couldn't completely relax until the WS had been clinched. Nobody would have ever thought our team would become so pathetic in such a short period of time. Just like the Bears of 85. The franchise fell apart.

QUOTE (balfanman @ Oct 26, 2016 -> 12:00 PM)
I was in a hotel room in L.A. and, okay, I'll admit it.........I.............cried.

:crying

:gosox1:

I was in a hotel in Orlando with my wife, while visiting one of the sons. I also had a few tears in my eyes. I was in 7th grade when we played the Dodgers in 1959. Glad I was able to enjoy a World Series Championship during my lifetime!1

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Oct 26, 2016 -> 01:39 PM)
I'm certainly guilty of it myself, but it's kind of sad that we have to re-live moments that happened 11 years ago. I wish the Sox were good.

If the Sox would have had another WS victory in between that time I still would relive the first and love it. No matter what happens from now until the day I die I will always remember 05' in a very special light.

For reference, I'm also wearing one of my 2 05 parade shirts today. Taught 2 classes in it - couple students caught on that it was a World Series commentary, also pointed out to them that it was the 11th anniversary and that ESPN and CBS have forgotten we existed.

I was in Austin in a restaurant with some Chicagoans who were Cub fans and one Astros fan. The rest of the bar was obviously all Astros fans. On that last out, I stood up in my chair and screamed, "YES! WOOOOOO!" Then I realized, I was the only one in the bar rooting for the Sox. And you know what...I didn't give a rats keister. It was awesome. My only regret is not getting tickets to a game in Houston.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 26, 2016 -> 03:18 PM)
I've got all the others from that year saved up also - the Konerko GS, Podsednik's HR, Hawk's call on clinching, "JOE CREDE". Still makes me smile.

I think I continue to be Ed Farmer's only board backer in part because his Paul Konerko grand slam call is my favorite sox call ever. It was perfect.

I remember hugging my mom right after the last out at home and getting a call from my dad who was in CT on business and hanging with Red Sox and Yankees fans. Our title did exist and was as legitimate as the Cubs title. I hope that in this new era of baseball we will get back to the playoffs and win one again. Maybe a Northsiders WS win will prompt old Jerry to open his wallet or think smarter to get another win.

When they win, maybe we can say welcome to the club and the razzing between fan bases can calm a bit...even if it is wishful thinking.

Some great moments in this montage. Rooney's call of that grounder to Konerko to secure the pennant still gets me more than anything in that whole postseason. Something about hearing "The White Sox have won the pennant!" chokes me up to this day. Despite being in a daze, there was also something so fresh and gratifying about it. It was the validation of such a special season for all of us.

I live in Texas and so I got to go to the game. My seats were in the OF, but for the 9th most Sox fans were standing in the lower concourse, waiting to rush down near the dugout after the last out. Man, what a feeling...my best sports moment by far. My throat was horse for days from all the yelling I did that night.

I was in my first year of college in Montreal Canada. My dorm had some common rooms but most of them were taken by the girls and i had to settle for a dungeon type tv room in the basement. I was watching it alone for the most part but in the 8th inning when Dye hit that single a lot of Jays fans came down to watch it with me. I was so shocked and ended up crying a bit once we won it. The jays fans congratulated me and were very happy for me. They are the reason why Toronto is my second favorite team.