Ashton Carter Stops DoD Collecting Bonuses from CA Guard Soldiers

lostfan

QUOTE (Ezio Auditore @ Oct 26, 2016 -> 11:43 AM)
I don't know how whatever the "VA scandal" is supposed to have been became a political issue. (well ok, actually I do, but not the point). It's always had long wait times and been a pretty miserable experience, basically since Vietnam. I don't even know how you fix that actually.

It was more the cover-up/fake reporting numbers at all levels of the department, basically across the nation, that was the issue. That Vets get s***ty/slow service from a government run healthcare institution isn't new or surprising.

I deal with Medicare and the VA a decent amount through my work (dead/injured old people/vets) and both entities are absolutely awful to deal with. I loathe the day that I actually have to deal with Medicare for my own healthcare.

Edited by JenksIsMyHero

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Oct 26, 2016 -> 12:19 PM)
They tried that "Vet's Choice" voucher system or whatever it was called starting a couple of years back, and that didn't work so hot either.

Medicare-for-vets might be a decent option.

The latter is what I'm thinking of. Vouchers are too confusing for people. The problem is coverage. Maybe partner with a hospital group to identify areas of vet populations that aren't close enough to mental health or outpatient care and create some provider spaces.

But hard to believe that a medicare system with our existing medical provider structure isn't better than the provider model - especially for capacity issues.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Oct 26, 2016 -> 02:27 PM)
It was more the cover-up/fake reporting numbers at all levels of the department, basically across the nation, that was the issue. That Vets get s***ty/slow service from a government run healthcare institution isn't new or surprising.

I deal with Medicare and the VA a decent amount through my work (dead/injured old people/vets) and both entities are absolutely awful to deal with. I loathe the day that I actually have to deal with Medicare for my own healthcare.

It was the fake numbers thing at the Phoenix VA if I recall. But the words "VA scandal" are kinda synonymous with the VA sucking now.

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 26, 2016 -> 12:32 PM)
The latter is what I'm thinking of. Vouchers are too confusing for people. The problem is coverage. Maybe partner with a hospital group to identify areas of vet populations that aren't close enough to mental health or outpatient care and create some provider spaces.

But hard to believe that a medicare system with our existing medical provider structure isn't better than the provider model - especially for capacity issues.

Vouchers are also a way to shift responsibility. If the system is in the government's hands, failures can appropriately be placed on policy or bureaucracy. If you're just going to do block grants or vouchers, you can not appropriately fund the system and then say "hey, we gave you vouchers, it's your fault you didn't spend the money wisely!"

QUOTE (Ezio Auditore @ Oct 26, 2016 -> 01:33 PM)
It was the fake numbers thing at the Phoenix VA if I recall. But the words "VA scandal" are kinda synonymous with the VA sucking now.

It started there, and then some digging found that it was nationwide. And it should still be considered a scandal because whistle blowers are coming out 2 years later saying the numbers are still cooked and wait times aren't getting any better.

To me Obama deserves major blame for that (which he does not get) because he took an active role to fix the problem but hasn't done any follow-up. He basically canned the top guy, replaced him, had the new guy replace a bunch of underlings but the results and fake numbers are still taking place. Nothing was fixed.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Oct 26, 2016 -> 03:11 PM)
It started there, and then some digging found that it was nationwide. And it should still be considered a scandal because whistle blowers are coming out 2 years later saying the numbers are still cooked and wait times aren't getting any better.

To me Obama deserves major blame for that (which he does not get) because he took an active role to fix the problem but hasn't done any follow-up. He basically canned the top guy, replaced him, had the new guy replace a bunch of underlings but the results and fake numbers are still taking place. Nothing was fixed.

Sure, that's fair. That's really something that needs a nationwide discussion on major reform and nobody really did anything substantive, and he was in charge.