Situation at DePaul

greg775

What do you think of the kids at DePaul going on O'Reilly to talk about them being prevented from having signs on campus that say Unborn Lives Matter?

Also at a speech last school year school officials let two BLM protestors get on stage and interrupted a speaker. Apparently the president considered stepping down.

What say you all? DePaul is a helluva fine university and I'm sure school administrators don't want escalating controversy.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (ron883 @ Nov 1, 2016 -> 07:09 AM)
I live right by DePaul and hadn't even heard about this. Really doesn't bother me. I'm tired of self righteous jackasses who care about the fetus up until it's born. After they, they don't give a damn.

Sounds like BIG MEDIA is trying to pull the wool over your eyes.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 31, 2016 -> 09:32 PM)
What do you think of the kids at DePaul going on O'Reilly to talk about them being prevented from having signs on campus that say Unborn Lives Matter?

Sounds like those people don't like the laws of our land. They can feel free to leave and go live somewhere like Saudi Arabia where abortion is outlawed.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Nov 1, 2016 -> 03:02 PM)
Sounds like those people don't like the laws of our land. They can feel free to leave and go live somewhere like Saudi Arabia where abortion is outlawed.

Yes but the issue is freedom of speech. The kids couldnt put up their signs Unborn Lives Matter, but the two BLM individuals were allowed to stand on stage, blow a whistle and interrupt and ruin the speech of a guest speaker. I mean DePaul 'probably' could have forced those individuals off the stage. I mean if you were at a sporting event and walked onto the court and started blowing a whistle, I'm assuming you could be arrested. Same in wrecking somebody's speech? Would DePaul arrest the BLM individuals if they tried a sit in and blew a whistle over and over at a basketball game? It's kind of the same thing. It was an organized speaking event.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Nov 1, 2016 -> 01:04 PM)
Yes but the issue is freedom of speech. The kids couldnt put up their signs Unborn Lives Matter, but the two BLM individuals were allowed to stand on stage, blow a whistle and interrupt and ruin the speech of a guest speaker. I mean DePaul 'probably' could have forced those individuals off the stage. I mean if you were at a sporting event and walked onto the court and started blowing a whistle, I'm assuming you could be arrested. Same in wrecking somebody's speech? Would DePaul arrest the BLM individuals if they tried a sit in and blew a whistle over and over at a basketball game? It's kind of the same thing. It was an organized speaking event.

They're not banning speech. They have issue with the choice of wording which can be construed as diminishing BLM. They even said they would be open to different wording in the posters. Seems like these folks are just intentionally instigating for media coverage.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Nov 1, 2016 -> 09:33 PM)
They're not banning speech. They have issue with the choice of wording which can be construed as diminishing BLM. They even said they would be open to different wording in the posters. Seems like these folks are just intentionally instigating for media coverage.

They are banning speech. As a private university, they're free to do so. But "you can't co-opt a slogan because the originators think that downplays their message" is a really lame standard to implement.

QUOTE (CrimsonWeltall @ Nov 1, 2016 -> 05:14 PM)
They are banning speech. As a private university, they're free to do so. But "you can't co-opt a slogan because the originators think that downplays their message" is a really lame standard to implement.

Yeah, just not a good precedent to have IMO.

When it comes to speech, it has to be pretty dangerous for me to think it should be outlawed.