SoxNet: Why most of us White Sox fans ain't cheering for the Cubs

drowninginflame

Hey folks,

Long time lurker. This is the place I go to get all of my White Sox gossip and opinions, so keep up the awesome work.

Anyhow, I'm a writer and I just wrote an essay about being a White Sox fan during this whole Cubsmania ordeal. I originally pitched to Sports Mockery but have yet to hear back, despite them posting a plenty of Cubs-related pieces. I reached out to Deadspin and am waiting on them, too.

But, I'd love to get the piece some traction on a White Sox blog, Facebook page, etc. If you know of any you enjoy, or look to as a source of truth, or run one - please let me know.

Thanks!

QUOTE (drowninginflame @ Oct 28, 2016 -> 04:35 PM)
Hey folks,

Long time lurker. This is the place I go to get all of my White Sox gossip and opinions, so keep up the awesome work.

Anyhow, I'm a writer and I just wrote an essay about being a White Sox fan during this whole Cubsmania ordeal. I originally pitched to Sports Mockery but have yet to hear back, despite them posting a plenty of Cubs-related pieces. I reached out to Deadspin and am waiting on them, too.

But, I'd love to get the piece some traction on a White Sox blog, Facebook page, etc. If you know of any you enjoy, or look to as a source of truth, or run one - please let me know.

Thanks!

Try Sox Net that's the one I write for. You need to contact Q, who is basically the "editor" of it. I'd give you his e-mail address but I don't know if that is allowed. If one of the mod's can let me know on this I'd appreciate it.

If they say it is OK, I'll post it for you.

Mark

The blog may be happening.

One thing about sports media is, when it comes to the White Sox, they're not jumping at the bit to get content. It's ridiculous. I couldn't get a response from Deadspin, Sports Mockery, or SB Nation's South Side Sox. I'm an accredited journalist, and published author, not some dude offering an opinion that's full of tired cliches. As a professional this experience has been eye opening due to the lack of interest on almost everyone's part. I saw one sort of relevant topic over on Yahoo, but even that, was a big MEH.

I'm hoping this piece can find a home with Soxnet. It's about time someone gave us a platform.

QUOTE (drowninginflame @ Oct 31, 2016 -> 12:17 PM)
The blog may be happening.

One thing about sports media is, when it comes to the White Sox, they're not jumping at the bit to get content. It's ridiculous. I couldn't get a response from Deadspin, Sports Mockery, or SB Nation's South Side Sox. I'm an accredited journalist, and published author, not some dude offering an opinion that's full of tired cliches. As a professional this experience has been eye opening due to the lack of interest on almost everyone's part. I saw one sort of relevant topic over on Yahoo, but even that, was a big MEH.

I'm hoping this piece can find a home with Soxnet. It's about time someone gave us a platform.

Is it common for journalists to make a piece on their own and contact sites to get it published? I would think most sites have their writers and don't want to take content from someone they don't work with.

Sure, we pitch articles all the time. Most sites have a stable of writers as their go-to's, but most editors will field pitches if they're content/subject relevant. I've pitched stories to Tech Crunch, Forbes, etc. I've had them all published, too. It's how the gig works. It's not like we're making bank anymore due to the whole world of 24/7 everything - there's a lot of noise in the spaces.

I figured with almost no opinion pieces regarding the White Sox POV happening, that it would be a slam dunk in terms of acceptability, but it wasn't, and honestly, that was sucky.

I don't have a blog. I only pickup freelance work when I'm looking to make extra money with a corp gig, or when I have an article in mind I'd like to write. My day job I'm content manager/head writer for a big tech company, as well as write books for a living. When I do journalism stuff, it's more of a passion play. I miss doing it. A lot of us got out of journalism because there's little money in it anymore.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Nov 1, 2016 -> 05:11 PM)
I'm not from Chicago but I do think you're spot on with your analysis about no "Chicago fans". That's like asking a Jets fan to root for the Giants in the super bowl. Good luck.

I'll bet those Yankee fans were just cheering their hearts out for the Mets last year, too.

Thanks for all of the positive feedback. I also appreciate all of the people who are sharing and tweeting the article, as well.

I hope to get the chance to do some further editorializing on the White Sox in the future. I've always had a desire to write more about them, their moves, and the culture of the fans.

QUOTE (drowninginflame @ Nov 1, 2016 -> 05:54 PM)
Thanks for all of the positive feedback. I also appreciate all of the people who are sharing and tweeting the article, as well.

I hope to get the chance to do some further editorializing on the White Sox in the future. I've always had a desire to write more about them, their moves, and the culture of the fans.

We'd enjoy it if you'd come back and post.

this article - the TRUTH

i understand the reason to trade Sale or Quintana, but i'll be damned if KW and RH trade either for 4-5 busts, while at least Sale continues on a Hall of Fame path. Fear...fear of getting stuck holding the bag in the end. I'll enjoy Sale even if the team takes a bit longer to stock the farm system