Potential + Effects of the World Series?

caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Nov 2, 2016 -> 12:13 AM)
The Cubs caught a lot of crap for trading Garland for Karchner

I'm glad I can leave for a while and come back to see caulfield still using trades that happened almost 20 years ago to justify ill-will between the Sox and the Cubs.

(nevermind that the real ill-will comes from the Sox, when they sent Cotts to the Cubs for Aardsma and Carlos Vasquez, which sent a stroke throughout Sox fandom because they never again knew how to spell Va(s/z)quez again)

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Nov 2, 2016 -> 12:13 AM)
The Cubs caught a lot of crap for trading Garland for Karchner

I'm glad I can leave for a while and come back to see caulfield still using trades that happened almost 20 years ago to justify ill-will between the Sox and the Cubs.

(nevermind that the real ill-will comes from the Sox, when they sent Cotts to the Cubs for Aardsma and Carlos Vasquez, which sent a stroke throughout Sox fandom because they never again knew how to spell Va(s/z)quez again)

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ Nov 1, 2016 -> 11:28 PM)
I would agree with your thought process if I didn't have 35 years history contradicting it. The Sox have never felt they are in competition with the Cubs, have stated it publicly many time. JR (and for right or wrong you have to admire the strength of his convictions) has never been influenced by the Cubs, Sox fans, the media, agents...never has and never will be.

Significant and needed change will come eventually, it has to since time marches on and we are all human.

Mark

No, of course not. Why would you EVER be influenced by the key stakeholders - your paying customers!

:huh:

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Nov 1, 2016 -> 10:43 PM)
If anything, I'd hope any potential Cubs World Series tears apart that last remaining doubt of Sox management about rebuilding. That lingering worry always thrown around of Sox fans not supporting the effort. No, I've never read or heard them verbally say they're reluctant to rebuild (other then the indirect evidence of JR wanting to "go for it.") but obviously they're not very supportive of the idea

We need to just throw aside any doubt or worry. Stop thinking whether they successfully can rebuild or not, stop worrying about the remote possibility of the team relocating, and sure as hell not worry aboyt the Cubs. Just do what's best for the future of this TEAM. When you look at the alternatives, there are none that don't involve dumpster diving or hoping for a team wide resurgence. We've done this for many years. Why not try the ONE method we haven't tried?

If it's 5 years from now and we're stuck with a terrible rebuilding process, reevaluate. Anyways, what would it matter if we purposely sucked for 5 years or (as we've done since 2012) tried to win but still sucked

I think it'll be the exact opposite. "We're only 1 player away, we'd have been right there with the Indians if those relievers would have just stayed healthy". But then I think they'd have said that no matter what.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 2, 2016 -> 12:30 AM)
Really funny you didn't use the Golden State Warriors, Dallas Mavericks, or, to continue within the NBA, the f***ing Cleveland Cavaliers within that example. Nevermind the Tampa Bay Rays (who merely were constantly competitive for years and years, despite a terrible payroll), Kansas City Royals, Seattle Seahawks, or Denver Broncos. Save for, maybe, the Broncos, show me the history of winning of those franchises' timelines compared to the White Sox.

Also, because it's baseball, the Sox are not done being relevant.

In other words...no, guy.

I feel it worth adding that the Rays are a terrible example to bring up because their fanbase/stadium is so weak that they can't even sell out playoff games.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 2, 2016 -> 08:35 AM)
I think it'll be the exact opposite. "We're only 1 player away, we'd have been right there with the Indians if those relievers would have just stayed healthy". But then I think they'd have said that no matter what.

My God, let's hope no one aside from Hawk has the audacity to say such a comment.

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Nov 2, 2016 -> 08:57 AM)
My God, let's hope no one aside from Hawk has the audacity to say such a comment.

“We’ve got to get some things together,” Williams told CSN Chicago. “As everyone knows by now, we started off very well. Unfortunately things kind of unraveled and we lost some key members of our bullpen which didn’t help and kind of spear-headed that unraveling.

“But we’ll get it together and come out of this swinging.”

Had we not lost those relievers things wouldn't have unraveled!

Losing Petricka and Putnam doomed the season.

No, it was the lack of offdays in April and May.

No, it was Matt Albers' conditioning level or lack thereof...not to mention overusing Robertson early as well.

If we only had Austin Jackson back in mid July the season would have turned out quite differently, or LaRoche quit a month earlier.

The White Sox have perfected the art of excuses covering their poor judgment. That an entire season could fall apart due to a combined loss that doesn't equal one of Brantley, Salazar or Carrasco alone is ludicrous.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 2, 2016 -> 08:35 AM)

For once, I totally agree. The further the Cubs go, I think the Sox will feel increased pressure to grab immediate attention to try to stop the bleeding. So much so, it might even "force" them into a free agent splash.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 2, 2016 -> 12:08 PM)
For once, I totally agree. The further the Cubs go, I think the Sox will feel increased pressure to grab immediate attention to try to stop the bleeding. So much so, it might even "force" them into a free agent splash.

I agree with your premise that there will be heat on the FO to do something. But a splash in free agency means nothing. Adding the veterans they did over the last few years has not worked. Putting a winning product on the field or showing a total emphasis on a rebuild w youth are more important.

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Nov 2, 2016 -> 12:07 PM)
I agree with your premise that there will be heat on the FO to do something. But a splash in free agency means nothing. Adding the veterans they did over the last few years has not worked. Putting a winning product on the field or showing a total emphasis on a rebuild w youth are more important.

I think it will be a front line player, not just a guy.

Hawk seems to think the Cubs winning the WS would force the White Sox to try to keep up with the Joneses.

I just question whether the Cubs would become more popular or less popular if they won tonight. I think they are the only team that could possibly lose some interest after winning it all. It wouldn't be drastic, and they still would sell out all the time, but I think once the lovable loser tag is off, some will move on.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 2, 2016 -> 10:28 AM)
I just question whether the Cubs would become more popular or less popular if they won tonight. I think they are the only team that could possibly lose some interest after winning it all.

I think there's something to that but more from a national perspective than local. It's nauseating to see bandwagon fans all over Seattle.

And to Mark's (Lip Man 1) point a while back, Sox ownership was dead wrong in not treating the Cubs as a competitor way back when they took over our ball club. That has backfired miserably as we've literally become a small market franchise in one of the largest cities in the country.

Edited by BigSqwert

The Indians won't be back for awhile. They'll trade off guys in the next few years to avoid a salary issue.

The Cubs have a chance to make the playoffs every year for the next 3 to 4 seasons - until their youth are due for a pay day.

I have no idea who will win tonight.

I have a feeling that Kluber will make the Cubs hitters really work for it. Their bats have a tendency to freeze up when they face top pitchers.

The cubs are like Paris Hilton, Bruce Jenner and the Kardashians as a whole. People are following them and all excited becasue that is what they are being told to do. Society is pretty much mindless now a days.

As far as the White Sox go, it is time to s*** or get off the pot. The breaking even, lightening in bottle scheme is gone.

As far as fans go the cubs have their 40% of the population, the White Sox 20% and the rest will follow whoever is playing better.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Nov 2, 2016 -> 01:15 PM)
The cubs are like Paris Hilton, Bruce Jenner and the Kardashians as a whole. People are following them and all excited becasue that is what they are being told to do. Society is pretty much mindless now a days.

As far as the White Sox go, it is time to s*** or get off the pot. The breaking even, lightening in bottle scheme is gone.

As far as fans go the cubs have their 40% of the population, the White Sox 20% and the rest will follow whoever is playing better.

That is spot on. May i use that on facebook? :P

QUOTE (SonofaRoache @ Nov 1, 2016 -> 09:00 PM)
The Sox are done being relevant. They are now the Milwaukee Bucks or Cleveland Browns. This will be a cubs town and the Sox will just be here for s***s and giggles. Mainly, because our front office doesn't have a clue.

Define "relevant" for me.

Last I checked, none of the Sox fans I know are planning to switch to the Cubs because of this season or last. And none of their Sox fan kids are either.

Sox fans haven't gone anywhere. They're still out there whether they're actually going to see games or not. Some winning will bring them back from the shadows quickly enough.

The way I see it, the Cubs are in year 2 of their 5 year title contending window. They will be knocking on the door every year until these kids become FA's and begin asking for Dodger/Yankee/Red Sox money. The Indians are also in the beginning stages of their competitive window. With that said, the White Sox need to rebuild and trade off their assets. The target date should be 2019 or 2020 to be ready to compete. The White Sox arrival would ideally mean the departure of this Cubs era of sustained success. (2015-2020). The time is now to trade off assets like Sale and Quintana to obtain near MLB ready prospects. I was looking at the farm system depth today and I am starting to realize that we are getting some decent depth down there. (FINALLY!)

This may or may not be the thread to talk about this but with the likes of Spencer Adams and Alec Hanson being ready in the near future. Rodon ready to move up the rotation, Shields here to eat up innings (and thats about it) and Fulmer ready to learn as a starter at the MLB ready, the time is now to take advantage of the market. Sell high on Sale and Q and lets continue to beef up the farm. Let's reestablish a new core and let's do this the right way. No more re-tooling. Let's rebuild. With all of the assets-- this rebuild can be accelerated to a point where they can be ready by 2019 in my opinion. The free agent market for starting pitching is pretty weak. The market for Sale and Q this winter will be HUGE! I have never seen KW or Hahn sell high on any of the White Sox veterans. I really hope they do so now.

Trade these guys: Sale, Q, Abreu, Melky, Frazier and Robertson. This should reshape the entire roster to a point where we'll have plenty to be excited about moving forward. A feeling us White Sox fans haven't had in a LONG time. The hope of a real success future.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Nov 2, 2016 -> 01:45 PM)
The way I see it, the Cubs are in year 2 of their 5 year title contending window. They will be knocking on the door every year until these kids become FA's and begin asking for Dodger/Yankee/Red Sox money. The Indians are also in the beginning stages of their competitive window. With that said, the White Sox need to rebuild and trade off their assets. The target date should be 2019 or 2020 to be ready to compete. The White Sox arrival would ideally mean the departure of this Cubs era of sustained success. (2015-2020). The time is now to trade off assets like Sale and Quintana to obtain near MLB ready prospects. I was looking at the farm system depth today and I am starting to realize that we are getting some decent depth down there. (FINALLY!)

Aren't the Cubs about as rich as the Dodgers/Yankees/Red Sox? Seems to me they could afford to keep a lot of their current players even when they come knocking for new contracts.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Nov 2, 2016 -> 01:45 PM)

This may or may not be the thread to talk about this but with the likes of Spencer Adams and Alec Hanson being ready in the near future. Rodon ready to move up the rotation, Shields here to eat up innings (and thats about it) and Fulmer ready to learn as a starter at the MLB ready, the time is now to take advantage of the market. Sell high on Sale and Q and lets continue to beef up the farm. Let's reestablish a new core and let's do this the right way. No more re-tooling. Let's rebuild. With all of the assets-- this rebuild can be accelerated to a point where they can be ready by 2019 in my opinion. The free agent market for starting pitching is pretty weak. The market for Sale and Q this winter will be HUGE! I have never seen KW or Hahn sell high on any of the White Sox veterans. I really hope they do so now.

Trade these guys: Sale, Q, Abreu, Melky, Frazier and Robertson. This should reshape the entire roster to a point where we'll have plenty to be excited about moving forward. A feeling us White Sox fans haven't had in a LONG time. The hope of a real success future.

I absolutely agree.

Last I checked, none of the Sox fans I know are planning to switch to the Cubs because of this season or last. And none of their Sox fan kids are either.

I am considering becomming a cubs fan, if the White sox mess up this offseason.

QUOTE (Doc Edwards Shot @ Nov 2, 2016 -> 01:57 PM)
Aren't the Cubs about as rich as the Dodgers/Yankees/Red Sox? Seems to me they could afford to keep a lot of their current players even when they come knocking for new contracts.

Perhaps they can keep their players? Regardless, it still may be challenging for them to keep ALL of that talent in the open market. The fact of the matter is, they have about 4-5 more years of being really good. By the time they reach that 4th or 5th year, the White Sox should be knocking on the door.

Edited by GreatScott82

QUOTE (Doc Edwards Shot @ Nov 2, 2016 -> 01:57 PM)

In terms of revenue, yes. But the Cubs have a ton of structured debt from their purchase by the Ricketts.

QUOTE (Doc Edwards Shot @ Nov 2, 2016 -> 12:57 PM)

Just wait till they start their TV network, that figures to bring in a lot of money.

Mark

Wow, the Indians are actually in better shape than I thought. Napoli, Crisp, and Davis hit FA after this year, but those guys are generally the easiest to replace. Miller and Santana hit FA after 2017, that's tougher, but there's no post 2017 cliff in there. Brantley and Tomlin hit after 2018.

Barring injury, they could easily be a "slow burn" team - there's enough talent on there to keep them competitive for years even if 1-2 guys gets hurt.