A Proposal: Courtney Hawkins, Pitcher

NorthSideSox72

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Nov 2, 2016 -> 03:08 PM)
13th overall pick. I hate that this team hasn't been able to evaluate talent.

A handful of guys drafted in front of him, and handful of guys drafted within the next 10 after him were busts too. Every team has draft busts...and thankfully, the Sox haven't had many of them since Hawkins.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Nov 2, 2016 -> 03:23 PM)
A handful of guys drafted in front of him, and handful of guys drafted within the next 10 after him were busts too. Every team has draft busts...and thankfully, the Sox haven't had many of them since Hawkins.

True and that makes me feel a little better.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Nov 2, 2016 -> 08:23 PM)

Rumor was Sox were gonna take Stroman and had a deal in place. Rockies took Dahl instead of Hawkins and changed everything

QUOTE (raBBit @ Nov 2, 2016 -> 04:45 PM)
Do you care to offer why his prospect status may still exist? Age is no argument for him. He's failed year/year and has made no improvements to his pitfalls since he was 19. His profile offers him no utility as a complementary piece. Unless he starts recognizing some spin and increases his contact rate significantly he will be done in the org within the next two years.

Probably a bust either way. I'd say he has better odds of figuring out how to become a higher OBP hitter at expense of some of his power versus learning how to become a pitcher while already at the pro level.

Matt Davidson got a 3rd season in AAA after two awful ones in his age 24 and 25 season comparable to what Hawkins did in AA in his age 22 2016 season. I'd give him another year or two to show something with the bat.

Edited by soxforlife05

QUOTE (raBBit @ Nov 2, 2016 -> 05:45 PM)
. Unless he starts recognizing some spin and increases his contact rate significantly he will be done in the org within the next two years.

You know, I used to take the Front office @ their word, & believe that a player's hit tool could be improved over time. However, after seeing a cavalcade of Sox prospects utterly fail to 'learn how to make contact,' I now believe that a player's hit tool is largely unimproveable.

After all, we're all still waiting for Jared Mitchell, Jordan Danks, Courtney Hawkins, Keon Barnum, Matt Davidson, Micker Adolfo, Corey Zangari, and many many others either 'learn to make more contact,' OR 'strike out less.' After watching literally ZERO of the 'strikeout commandos' among the Sox prospects make it, I doubt that it is even possible to happen.

To the point of this thread, I don't even know why a position change hasn't already happened. But then, throw that into the pile of head-scratching decisions by this team.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Nov 3, 2016 -> 07:49 AM)
Hawkins still listed at #14 on its Top Prospect List. Can't remember where SoxTalk had him in the last list. Probably about the same.

FutureSox had him at 23rd, from the July list. Things only got worse after. Likely he doesn't even make the Top 30 in January, and what little stock is left is all on that big raw power and the extremely slim chance he can use it.